Team Salary Minimum

TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

Team Salary Minimum 

Post#1 » by TheBallDoLie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:04 am

I was reading Larry Coon's great CBA FAQ and noticed it said the following:

"For minimum team salary purposes the salary of a player who changes teams through trade or waivers is divided among the teams for which he played. For example, if a $10 million player is traded exactly 60% of the way through the season, then the player's original team counts $6 million of the player's salary for minimum team salary purposes, and the player's new team counts $4 million of the player's salary for minimum team salary purposes."

I just want to make sure I fully understand this. So let's use the Chicago Bulls trade of Nikola Mirotic for example. The Bulls traded Mirotic a few weeks ago. For Chicago's team salary minimum requirement, would Nikola first few months count against Chicago numbers for team salary minimum purposes? I guess to be more specific, Mirotic was traded on Feb. 1st. So basically Mirotic's salary from Oct. 17th to Feb 1st will count against the Bulls numbers for team salary minimum if I understand correctly. And the rest will count against New Orleans.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Re: Team Salary Minimum 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:22 pm

TheBallDoLie wrote:I was reading Larry Coon's great CBA FAQ and noticed it said the following:

"For minimum team salary purposes the salary of a player who changes teams through trade or waivers is divided among the teams for which he played. For example, if a $10 million player is traded exactly 60% of the way through the season, then the player's original team counts $6 million of the player's salary for minimum team salary purposes, and the player's new team counts $4 million of the player's salary for minimum team salary purposes."

I just want to make sure I fully understand this. So let's use the Chicago Bulls trade of Nikola Mirotic for example. The Bulls traded Mirotic a few weeks ago. For Chicago's team salary minimum requirement, would Nikola first few months count against Chicago numbers for team salary minimum purposes? I guess to be more specific, Mirotic was traded on Feb. 1st. So basically Mirotic's salary from Oct. 17th to Feb 1st will count against the Bulls numbers for team salary minimum if I understand correctly. And the rest will count against New Orleans.

At a quick glance, you've got it!
TheBallDoLie
Junior

Re: RE: Re: Team Salary Minimum 

Post#3 » by TheBallDoLie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:16 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
TheBallDoLie wrote:I was reading Larry Coon's great CBA FAQ and noticed it said the following:

And two more questions. Does the day the play get traded count against his new team or the trading team. So for example purposes does Feb 1st(day Niko was traded) go against the Bulls min team salary or to the Pelicans?

Also does two way contracts count toward min team salary numbers?

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Re: RE: Re: Team Salary Minimum 

Post#4 » by Smitty731 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:36 pm

TheBallDoLie wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:

And two more questions. Does the day the play get traded count against his new team or the trading team. So for example purposes does Feb 1st(day Niko was traded) go against the Bulls min team salary or to the Pelicans?

Also does two way contracts count toward min team salary numbers?

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]

Yes to the first. The day the transaction is official, it switches over.

No. Two-Way contracts don't count in anyway towards team salary.
TheBallDoLie
Junior

Re: Team Salary Minimum 

Post#5 » by TheBallDoLie » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:42 am

Thank you. Love the response time on this forum. Helps a bunch.

Return to CBA & Business