Restricted Free Agency

DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Restricted Free Agency 

Post#1 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Mar 7, 2018 3:42 pm

Can teams sign a free agent to their team with restricted free agency rights at the conclusion of the contract?
Is it allowed?

I understand it wouldn't be beneficial to the player and their agent would be highly against it but I wonder is it something that can be put on the table similar to no trade clauses.

For clarity/example could Philadelphia offer DeMarcus Cousins a max deal with restricted free agency tied to the end of the deal? Or, could New Orleans offer Cousins the same since they have a hard time getting free agents to help prevent losing an asset?

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: Restricted Free Agency 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Wed Mar 7, 2018 4:59 pm

In general, no. RFA is not an item that is or can be negotiated into a contract, but rather is part of the general framework of some contracts.

IOW, if the situation qualifies, then the player may be a RFA at the end of that contract.

Generally speaking, RFA happens after the 4th year of a rookie scale contract, and also for players after years 1,2, or 3 in the league from all other (ie not rookie scale) completed contracts, and further subject to the accompanying criteria such as a QO being extended.

Return to CBA & Business