Anyone hearing proposals for specific CBA language of how One-and-Done will end? Any suggestions?

Breeze_56
Ballboy
And1: 3

Anyone hearing proposals for specific CBA language of how One-and-Done will end? Any suggestions? 

Post#1 » by Breeze_56 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:02 am

Can anyone point me to any public proposals, discussions, or ideas around the league about what specifically they might propose in terms of CBA language to end the one-and-done rule? The only thing I've heard about is Denver's proposal for a 1 round high school draft.

Do you have any thoughts/ideas of what a likely solution will look like? Specifically, how would you answer the following questions?

Should those 18 & under enter through a draft of a form of free agency? If they enter through a draft, how would it incentivize young players?, i.e $25k salary for a year in the G league and no choice of location vs. no salary but choice of school.

Obviously the likely outline is something along the lines of what Denver floated: 1st year in the G League on something akin to a two way contract, with a rookie scale contract starting the following year. Should the entry year have a trigger for higher pay? I.e. if they are on something like a two way contract, perhaps the contract converts to rookie scale automatically if they play x minutes or y games in the NBA.

How would teams be given optionality? I.e. for current first round picks teams have options for the 3rd/4th year, with the concession to the players that they have to exercise said option a year prior. If a team drafts a high school player would they be given an additional option? For instance, maybe the player is on a G league contract the first year, after which the player goes through something akin to RFA in which other teams can offer as high as the rookie scale for said player's draft position?

Is there anything the league can do to influence NCAA rules to allow those who go undrafted to back and play college basketball?

I've pretty much outlined what I imagine would be an equitable solution to teams who want to reduce risk and players who want fair compensation: make it a three round draft, anyone under 19 is automatically on a two way contract with a trigger to convert (say 50 NBA games, or 1000 NBA minutes) to a regular rookie contract (amount dependent on draft position), with each team given the option of something like RFA at the end of the first season, whereby the player can be released or entertain options from other teams.

Super curious to hear others opinion on this.

Return to CBA & Business