MLE vs Mini MLE

TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

MLE vs Mini MLE 

Post#1 » by TheBallDoLie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:08 am

Teams can use full MLE(non-tax paying) as long as doing so doesn't take them above apron. If they do go over then using mini MLE is only available.

My question becomes are cap holds included when determining this? For example, Boston only has about 105 million in guaranteed salary. Therefor would qualify for MLE and bi-annual. But with all their holds, their team salary is above the apron. With holds, do they still qualify for full MLE? Or do holds not matter when determining this?
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Re: MLE vs Mini MLE 

Post#2 » by giberish » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:25 am

Going over the mini-MLE invokes the hard cap on a team for that season. It's not just about staying under the apron during the deal, but the team would have to stay under the apron/hard cap the rest of the season.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:37 am

In the spirit of teaching a man to fish, your answer is here:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q13
TheBallDoLie
Junior

Post#4 » by TheBallDoLie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:20 am

Smitty731 wrote:In the spirit of teaching a man to fish, your answer is here:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q13

Thank you, I looked all over for this on Larry Coon's great site but didn't find originally. But thank you very much for directing me too the right spot. I try to always look there first before asking here.
TheBallDoLie
Junior

Post#5 » by TheBallDoLie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:21 am

giberish wrote:Going over the mini-MLE invokes the hard cap on a team for that season. It's not just about staying under the apron during the deal, but the team would have to stay under the apron/hard cap the rest of the season.

I guess I appreciate you trying to be helpful but that had nothing do with what I was asking. But thanks anyways.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#6 » by giberish » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:50 am

TheBallDoLie wrote:
giberish wrote:Going over the mini-MLE invokes the hard cap on a team for that season. It's not just about staying under the apron during the deal, but the team would have to stay under the apron/hard cap the rest of the season.

I guess I appreciate you trying to be helpful but that had nothing do with what I was asking. But thanks anyways.

It seems like it has a lot to do with it - at least as a practical matter.

If a team has cap holds that would push them over the apron then they couldn't really use them after invoking the hard cap anyway. To resign those players they'd have to sign them to enough under their cap holds to stay under the hard cap - which they could (in most cases) just do before making the move that invokes the hard cap. Or else they'd have to not sign them - which would be like if they just renounced those cap holds/bird rights.

Return to CBA & Business