Sign and trade for Kawhi Leonard

hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Sign and trade for Kawhi Leonard 

Post#1 » by hookshot199 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 pm

As is being widely discussed, Philadelphia and other teams are interested in Kawhi Leonard.

My concerns, as a Sixers fan, are twofold: Is he healthy? And will he keep his commitment?

Thus my questions are:

1) When can he sign his five-year max, $219 max deal (day, month, year)?

2) If the Sixers or another team wish to acquire him by way of a sign-and-trade agreement,
when can they do that - this July? next February at the trade deadline? or next July after
the season?

3) In a sign-and-trade, can he be offered the full five-year max? If not, what?

4) In a sign-and-trade, does the 25% rule apply if both teams are at or near the cap, thus
between $15.7 mil and $26.1 mil against Kawhi's $20.1 mil contract?

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/kawhi-leonard-8066/

Thank you.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Re: Sign and trade for Kawhi Leonard 

Post#2 » by giberish » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:15 am

1) Not sure. Probably not before July

2) You have to be a FA for a S&T deal - so it would have to be next July. If he signs a DPE extension then he can't be traded for a while (6 months? 1 year?) after the deal is signed.

3) Bird rights no longer carry over on a S&T deal. He would be limited to a 4 year deal starting at 30% of the cap. Or he could sign a shorter deal allowing him to opt out to sign a 35% max deal in less time (I think he'd need 2 more years in addition to 2018-9 for that).

4) The same matching rules apply. I think that the $5M limit would be the bigger issue. Of course as noted above a S&T has to be a full new contract next summer, so presumably it would be for more then $20M.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: Sign and trade for Kawhi Leonard 

Post#3 » by DBoys » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:56 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
1) When can he sign his five-year max, $219 max deal (day, month, year)?

2) If the Sixers or another team wish to acquire him by way of a sign-and-trade agreement,
when can they do that - this July? next February at the trade deadline? or next July after
the season?

3) In a sign-and-trade, can he be offered the full five-year max? If not, what?

4) In a sign-and-trade, does the 25% rule apply if both teams are at or near the cap, thus
between $15.7 mil and $26.1 mil against Kawhi's $20.1 mil contract?

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/kawhi-leonard-8066/

Thank you.

1 July is earliest and Oct 1 (iirc) is latest
2 July 2019
3 Limits are same as any deal signed with a new team.
4 In a SNT, all the same salary-matching rules apply to salary as with any other trade. There can also be base year rules too.

Return to CBA & Business