Can the Dubs afford to pay Boogie reasonably moving forward if KD leaves?

Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,309

Can the Dubs afford to pay Boogie reasonably moving forward if KD leaves? 

Post#1 » by Froob » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:30 pm

I wouldn't think this is possible, but for you salary cap guru's (Smitty looking at you), can this realistically be done for the Warriors to give Boogie a big contract without his birds right if KD were to leave? I'd assume Klay is getting maxed or close to it...? Maybe he could take less to make it work? I'd think Warriors would be far over the cap either way.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: Can the Dubs afford to pay Boogie reasonably moving forward if KD leaves? 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:04 pm

Froob wrote:I wouldn't think this is possible, but for you salary cap guru's (Smitty looking at you), can this realistically be done for the Warriors to give Boogie a big contract without his birds right if KD were to leave? I'd assume Klay is getting maxed or close to it...? Maybe he could take less to make it work? I'd think Warriors would be far over the cap either way.

No.

If W's max out Klay, they will be over the cap, even if KD walks. That makes the upper limit of their non-Bird spending the MLE (whichever they have), or a modest raise over current salary, so Cousins would have to work for cheap again in order to stay.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Re: Can the Dubs afford to pay Boogie reasonably moving forward if KD leaves? 

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:35 pm

DBoys already covered it, but it's likely this is a one-year only thing for Cousins and the Warriors. If he's not back to somewhere near his usually self, the Warriors will move on. If he is, he'll go elsewhere for a bigger contract than Golden State will offer.

Return to CBA & Business