Max Contracts Gripe

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Max Contracts Gripe 

Post#21 » by d-train » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:30 pm

DBoys wrote:
d-train wrote:The collective bargaining exemption doesn't exist so 80% of the workers can steal from 20% of the workers in a scheme that primarily transfers wealth generated by the players to the owners.

That's one way to spin it. However, I think reality is way different than that extreme claim that what they have negotiated is about stealing, scheming, and improper wealth transfers.

I find it interesting that the NBA's response to the players decertifying the union was to drastically increase the number of players that have a vote to diminish the minority votes from star players and other players with individual bargaining power.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#22 » by DBoys » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:15 am

"the NBA's response to the players decertifying the union was to drastically increase the number of players that have a vote to diminish the minority votes from star players and other players with individual bargaining power."

LOL

Okay. If you say so. The NBA's huge conspiracy being foisted on the union. All these bazillionaires the NBA is minting are being taken advantage of. Bunch of suckers. Vile trickery. Everyone should be grabbing their own and not working together. That's just wrong. People are making money and we can't allow that. Got it.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#23 » by Richfield » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:10 am

There it is again, that disdain for the money NBA players are worth. Claiming it's the NBA that is "minting" them. Full credit to the organizations, not the players or the game of basketball. "Bazillionaires". smh
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#24 » by DBoys » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:23 pm

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY (which underscores the answer I have been offering -- about it being a negotiated setup where everyone has been giving and no one sees the end result as their ideal, and what is "right" is what the participants all agree is right, not outsiders) - from RealGM wiretap

The Chris Paul-led National Basketball Players Association has been viewed by some players as prioritizing superstars while overlooking the middle and lower classes.

“They advocate for the interests of max players and super-max players,” one veteran player said of Paul to Ethan Strauss of The Athletic. “Basically, the CBA has helped the whole banana boat crew from back in the day. It’s taken from the midlevel. I think middle-tier players aren’t getting that mid level money anymore.

“I think just that huge super max has had cost. Teams are putting all their eggs in one basket to keep that super-max guy. It’s dried up the salary cap. I don’t see it as sustainable long term.”

Superstar players tend drive the value of the NBA both on and off the court and the existence of the max has long been argued as artificially keeping down their salaries and subsequently allowing the middle class to be paid well.

Many quality teams have also seen an advantage in finding rotation players on minimum deals as a competitive advantage, which has impacted mid-tier salaries.

Strauss added that "Some players around the league laughed when union president Chris Paul and his massive contract got dealt to the rebuilding Thunder for Russell Westbrook."
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#25 » by Richfield » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:27 pm

Now we're getting somewhere!

Return to CBA & Business