Rookie max extension/contract question

Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Rookie max extension/contract question 

Post#1 » by Alonzo_Morning » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:34 am

Brandon Ingram signed a 5 year max contract totalling 158mil.

Guys like Bam and Donovon signed a 5 year extension, but it totaled 163mil.

Is this discrepancy tied because of the rising salary cap?

Also, does the % of the cap change each year, or is it a fixed % each year?

Ingram, who starts his max this year, is earning slightly higher each year than the extension guys are.

If it was a fixed % of the cap each year, then the salary should be same for all max guys in the same calendar year.

I'm guessing it goes something like 25%, 26%, 27%, 28%, 29%, just for example

Although, a 1% jump wouldn't account for the extra 3 mil each guy gets their salary bumped up by, year on year
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Re: Rookie max extension/contract question 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:38 pm

Alonzo_Morning wrote:Brandon Ingram signed a 5 year max contract totalling 158mil.

Ingram, who starts his max this year, is earning slightly higher each year than the extension guys are.

If it was a fixed % of the cap each year, then the salary should be same for all max guys in the same calendar year.

Although, a 1% jump wouldn't account for the extra 3 mil each guy gets their salary bumped up by, year on year

Ingram didn't sign an extension. He signed a new contract that starts this season (2020-21).

Tatum, Adebayo, Mitchell and Fox all signed extensions. Their extensions will start with next season (2021-22) and the salary cap (and thus the max amount) will rise by at least 3% for next season.

That's why the extensions are at a larger first-year salary than Ingram's is for this season.
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Alonzo_Morning » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:43 am

Smitty731 wrote:
Alonzo_Morning wrote:Brandon Ingram signed a 5 year max contract totalling 158mil.

Ingram didn't sign an extension. He signed a new contract that starts this season (2020-21).

Tatum, Adebayo, Mitchell and Fox all signed extensions. Their extensions will start with next season (2021-22) and the salary cap (and thus the max amount) will rise by at least 3% for next season.

That's why the extensions are at a larger first-year salary than Ingram's is for this season.

I specifically said Ingram signed a contract and not an extension in my post.

What is the % of the cap each year for the max?
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#4 » by DBoys » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:33 am

Alonzo_Morning wrote:

It doesn't matter that you said "signed a contract" - the point is that there is a DIFFERENCE in the starting point between when a new contract begins and when an extension begins, and thus in the applicable max salary for that first season of the contract. Smitty was kind enough to elaborate for you, and you being snippy at his (very accurate and kind) response is uncalled for.

For more information on the max salary and how it works, see the CBA FAQ -- http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q23
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Alonzo_Morning » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:48 am

DBoys wrote:
Alonzo_Morning wrote:

It doesn't matter that you said "signed a contract" - the point is that there is a DIFFERENCE in the starting point between when a new contract begins and when an extension begins, and thus in the applicable max salary for that first season of the contract. Smitty was kind enough to elaborate for you, and you being snippy at his (very accurate and kind) response is uncalled for.

For more information on the max salary and how it works, see the CBA FAQ -- http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q23

Sorry If I came across snippy.

Ingram should be on 25% of the cap this year if it's a max, but Sportrac reports it as 20.64%
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Alonzo_Morning » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:27 am

Found the problem. Sportrac uses the lux tax line and not the cap line for some reason

Return to CBA & Business