Draft Night Trades

wmumfrey
Ballboy
And1: 0

Draft Night Trades 

Post#1 » by wmumfrey » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:23 pm

What year salary is included for draft night trades? I could not find the answer to this on Larry Coon's FAQ. The draft is in the current year NBA calendar but I think that the trade does not become official until the new calendar year, so the following year salary should be used, is that right?

If anyone has any good articles or know where this is in the FAQ let me know!
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: Draft Night Trades 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:36 am

The trade match and CBA limits use the NBA year in which the trade occurs. So if a trade happens draft night 2021 for example, it's the 2020-21 season. The trade becomes official whenever it actually happens - ie, when submitted to the NBA - and if it's not submitted, it actually hasn't happened and there is no obligation to either team.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#3 » by giberish » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:29 am

That's obviously correct for all the deals that are officially made on draft day (or late into draft night or even the next few days until the league year changes).

However sometimes teams will agree to a deal on draft day with the plan to execute the deal officially in the new league year. This is done specifically to use the salaries for the next year (in cases where the deal wouldn't be CBA legal with the current league year numbers). While not official and in theory either team could back out I don't recall that ever happening.

Obviously this can't include any FA signings as those would clearly involve tampering.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 5, 2021 2:20 pm

giberish wrote:That's obviously correct for all the deals that are officially made on draft day (or late into draft night or even the next few days until the league year changes).

However sometimes teams will agree to a deal on draft day with the plan to execute the deal officially in the new league year. This is done specifically to use the salaries for the next year (in cases where the deal wouldn't be CBA legal with the current league year numbers). While not official and in theory either team could back out I don't recall that ever happening.

Obviously this can't include any FA signings as those would clearly involve tampering.

Correct. Something to look for specifically to clue you into this is “agreed to in principle”.

Return to CBA & Business