Qualifying Offer

KobeFarmarEra
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Qualifying Offer 

Post#1 » by KobeFarmarEra » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:43 am

Can someone explain to me how these work and what they mean?

For example, Andrew Bynum has a qualfying offer in 2009 of about 3.77 million.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#2 » by killbuckner » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:04 am

KobeFarmarEra
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by KobeFarmarEra » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:15 am

So basically that qualifying offer means the lakers will offer and pay Andrew the 6-year MAX and it kicks in that season?
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#4 » by killbuckner » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:12 am

Where did you get that from? In 2009 Bynum will be a free agent. As long as the Lakers are willing to offer him a 1 year 3.77 million dollar contract (the qualifying offer) then Bynum will be a restricted free agent and the Lakers would be allowed to match any offer that Bynum signs with a different team.
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#5 » by Dunkenstein » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:35 am

KobeFarmarEra wrote:So basically that qualifying offer means the lakers will offer and pay Andrew the 6-year MAX and it kicks in that season?

You're mixing up qualifying offer with maximum qualifying offer, both of which are discussed in FAQ #36
grizzfan1204
Sophomore

Post#6 » by grizzfan1204 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:04 am

If Bynum accepts LA's qualifying offer, then he plays for that season with the Lakers, then becomes an unrestricted free agent the following season. As long as Bynum is a restricted free agent, a team can offer Bynum a contract for at least 3 seasons I believe, and the Lakers have the right of first refusal (they have 7 days to match the other team's offer to Bynum, and if the Lakers do in fact match the other team's offer, Bynum must accept the Lakers' offer for that one season).
-Andy
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#7 » by Dunkenstein » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:54 am

grizzfan1204 wrote:a team can offer Bynum a contract for at least 3 seasons I believe, and the Lakers have the right of first refusal (they have 7 days to match the other team's offer to Bynum, and if the Lakers do in fact match the other team's offer, Bynum must accept the Lakers' offer for that one season).

Hey, lawyer wannabe, you need to spend a little more time reading the case material before addressing the judge and jury ;-)

From #31: "The offer sheet must be for at least two seasons (not including option years). "

And if the Lakers match the offer sheet Bynum is contracted to play for the Lakers for the number of years in the offer sheet, not for "that one season".
grizzfan1204
Sophomore

Post#8 » by grizzfan1204 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:58 pm

oh well...it was a shot in the dark without looking at the FAQ or anything, and I hit the rim....I tried, ha
-Andy
KobeFarmarEra
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by KobeFarmarEra » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:24 am

Also related, Andre Igoudoula.

He already turned down a 12 million dollar a year extension right? If he refuses to take the qualifying offer he becomes restricted free agent right? If another teams offer him a contract thats worth more, do you think Philly will match? If they do match, thats means Iggy HAS TO PLAY in Philly for two more years?
bgwizarfan
Rookie

Post#10 » by bgwizarfan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 am

You're all confused. He's a restricted free agent no matter what as long as the team offers him a QO... whether he takes it or not does not change the fact that he will be a RFA (so it's all dependant on the team offering him one). If Philly matches an offer sheet, then he plays however many years the offer sheet is for. If he takes Philly's QO, then he plays for the 1 year QO. If Philly offers a maximum QO and AI excepts, then he plays for 6 years (provisions of Max QO).

You're all confused - no offense but just about everything you said above is completely wrong. You need to go read the FAQ portion that was cited above
KobeFarmarEra
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by KobeFarmarEra » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:00 am

bgwizarfan wrote:You're all confused. He's a restricted free agent no matter what as long as the team offers him a QO... whether he takes it or not does not change the fact that he will be a RFA (so it's all dependant on the team offering him one). If Philly matches an offer sheet, then he plays however many years the offer sheet is for. If he takes Philly's QO, then he plays for the 1 year QO. If Philly offers a maximum QO and AI excepts, then he plays for 6 years (provisions of Max QO).

Thats what I meant. If he is a RFA and Philly matches an offer HE HAS TO PLAY for them right? I was just using the two year thing because the poster above me said that and it confused me.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#12 » by Three34 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:05 am

If he is a RFA and Philly matches an offer HE HAS TO PLAY for them right?

Yeah. Unless he wants to sit out and get suspended for it.

Return to CBA & Business