What are players NOT allowed to do?

breignchile
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

What are players NOT allowed to do? 

Post#1 » by breignchile » Sun Aug 2, 2009 3:39 am

We found out through Monta Ellis that a moped is deemed an "unnecessary" risk. I have heard through watching Raptors games that Joey Graham (a licensed pilot) is not allowed to fly. Radmanovic was fined for snowboarding (which caused an injury).

Sorry if this isn't much of a thread, but it is interesting (to me at least) what players might be prohibited to do. Thanks to anyone who care share some insight on this.

PS. This can easily turn into a joke thread, so take your best shot.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 505

Re: What are players NOT allowed to do? 

Post#2 » by raleigh » Sun Aug 2, 2009 3:46 am

Seems kind of silly to prohibit a player from flying. If something went wrong, the end result isn't likely to be anything "in between."
Modern_epic
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#3 » by Modern_epic » Sun Aug 2, 2009 4:29 am

As I understand it, technically players are pretty much not allowed to do anything more than generic daily activities like walking and cooking unless the team approves. Even pick-up games over the summer are forbidden.

Of course, the team likely doesn't really care what you do in the off-season, as long as it is anything most people might do (i.e. not something like motocross biking), but saying that legally protects them from being stuck with your salary when you break a wrist playing frisbee with your kid's friends.
FGump
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by FGump » Sun Aug 2, 2009 5:07 am

The Player and the Team acknowledge and agree that the Player's participation in certain other activities may impair or destroy his ability and skill as a basketball player, and the Player's participation in any game or exhibition of basketball other than at the request of the Team may result in injury to him. Accordingly, the Player agrees that he will not, without the written consent of the Team, engage in any activity that a reasonable person would recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury including, but not limited to: (i) sky-diving, hang gliding, snow skiing, rock or mountain climbing (as distinguished from hiking), rappelling, and bungee jumping; (ii) any fighting, boxing, or wrestling; (iii) driving or riding on a motorcycle or moped; (iv) riding in or on any motorized vehicle in any kind of race or racing contest; (v) operating an aircraft of any kind; (vi) engaging in any other activity excluded or prohibited by or under any insurance policy which the Team procures against the injury, illness or disability to or of the Player, or death of the Player, for which the Player has received written notice from the Team prior to the execution of this Contract; or (vii) participating in any game or exhibition of basketball, football, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, or other team sport or competition. If the Player violates this Paragraph 12, he shall be subject to discipline imposed by the Team and/or the Commissioner of the NBA. Nothing contained herein shall be intended to require the Player to obtain the written consent of the Team in order to enable the Player to participate in, as an amateur, the sports of golf, tennis, handball, swimming, hiking, softball, volleyball, and other similar sports that a reasonable person would not recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury.
breignchile
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by breignchile » Sun Aug 2, 2009 6:32 am

FGump wrote:The Player and the Team acknowledge and agree that the Player's participation in certain other activities may impair or destroy his ability and skill as a basketball player, and the Player's participation in any game or exhibition of basketball other than at the request of the Team may result in injury to him. Accordingly, the Player agrees that he will not, without the written consent of the Team, engage in any activity that a reasonable person would recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury including, but not limited to: (i) sky-diving, hang gliding, snow skiing, rock or mountain climbing (as distinguished from hiking), rappelling, and bungee jumping; (ii) any fighting, boxing, or wrestling; (iii) driving or riding on a motorcycle or moped; (iv) riding in or on any motorized vehicle in any kind of race or racing contest; (v) operating an aircraft of any kind; (vi) engaging in any other activity excluded or prohibited by or under any insurance policy which the Team procures against the injury, illness or disability to or of the Player, or death of the Player, for which the Player has received written notice from the Team prior to the execution of this Contract; or (vii) participating in any game or exhibition of basketball, football, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, or other team sport or competition. If the Player violates this Paragraph 12, he shall be subject to discipline imposed by the Team and/or the Commissioner of the NBA. Nothing contained herein shall be intended to require the Player to obtain the written consent of the Team in order to enable the Player to participate in, as an amateur, the sports of golf, tennis, handball, swimming, hiking, softball, volleyball, and other similar sports that a reasonable person would not recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury.

Sweet beans, you know your stuff. I like the use of "reasonable person". I wonder if Ron Artest's agent described to him what a "reasonable person" is?
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#6 » by Dunkenstein » Sun Aug 2, 2009 10:06 am

Yeah that Gump guy sure can write. It's real lawyer-like. I particularly like his use of roman numerals and semi-colons. It's as if it could have come right out of the Uniform Players Contract.
-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#7 » by -bob- » Sun Aug 2, 2009 11:45 pm

lol
Modern_epic
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Modern_epic » Sun Aug 2, 2009 11:48 pm

Tennis and volleyball don't have a substantial risk of injury? Apparently I'm not reasonable.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#9 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Aug 4, 2009 3:59 am

Don't forget about the "love of the game" clause, in regards to being allowed to play basketball, that is an addendum to the UPC. I'm not sure exactly how prevalent it is among current contracts, but I was under the impression that it was somewhat commonplace.

Does anyone actually know what percentage of contracts currently contain this clause?
IIRC Michael Jordan was the first to have this clause in his contract.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#10 » by Bernman » Tue Aug 4, 2009 4:01 pm

Modern_epic wrote:Tennis and volleyball don't have a substantial risk of injury? Apparently I'm not reasonable.

You are unreasonable because their risk of injury playing those sports is no greater than that of playing basketball, and they are alternative means for players to stay well conditioned in the offseason outside of just monotonously competing perpetually in basketball competitions. Plus, you have to let people live their lives, within reason. Just because you're compensating players with millions of dollars, that means they have to stay at home in a plastic bubble? Financial wealth isn't effectively worth much unless you have freedom to enjoy what it affords.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Modern_epic
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Modern_epic » Tue Aug 4, 2009 4:31 pm

You didn't read the list, did you? Players aren't allowed to play games of basketball in the offseason. There is an exemption available, but in the standard player contract it is considered too risky.

Return to CBA & Business