I'm trying to ignore a mod

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,890

I'm trying to ignore a mod 

Post#1 » by TGW » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:48 pm

A mod on the Wizards board is spreading racist propaganda, and I would like to add him to my foe list.

Here is the post he made:

nate33 wrote:
cammac wrote:A funny thing English speaking countries that have been born by the rule of law Canada, Australia & NZ have strict gun laws and low homicide rates. While the USA born of revolution clings to an archaic amendment born in the time of flintlock rifles but somehow has been interpreted to condone modern assault weapons? Some of the views expressed on guns are right out of right wing militia's but they are white obviously not terrorists.

Whites in America have the same low homicide rates as Canada and New Zealand even though guns are common. The reason American homicide rate is higher is not because of guns. It's because there are a lot more blacks in America. I realize that these facts are unpleasant to hear, but that doesn't make them any less true.

I find this very offensive, and dangerous since it is intellectually dishonest and racist, IMO. Just because he is mod doesn't mean he should be allowed to spread his hate without challenge.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Re: I'm trying to ignore a mod 

Post#2 » by tsherkin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:15 pm

TGW wrote:A mod on the Wizards board is spreading racist propaganda, and I would like to add him to my foe list.

This isn't a thing you can do, unfortunately.
TGW
RealGM

Post#3 » by TGW » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:17 pm

tsherkin wrote:
TGW wrote:A mod on the Wizards board is spreading racist propaganda, and I would like to add him to my foe list.

This isn't a thing you can do, unfortunately.

well then I'm calling for a revocation of mod-ship. he shouldn't be allowed to spread hate speech on the site unfiltered.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by tsherkin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:18 pm

TGW wrote:well then I'm calling for a revocation of mod-ship. he shouldn't be allowed to spread hate speech on the site unfiltered.

We will review the comment in-question, thank you for calling it to our attention.
TGW
RealGM

Post#5 » by TGW » Tue Jul 5, 2016 2:43 pm

when is this going to get resolved? people are getting banned for calling Durant a "beeyatch', but a mod clearly said " The reason American homicide rate is higher is not because of guns. It's because there are a lot more blacks in America." which is pure unfiltered hate speech.

Tsherkin, if there's nothing done about this, I will let other outlets now thru social media that realgm allows this behavior.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by tsherkin » Tue Jul 5, 2016 4:11 pm

TGW wrote:when is this going to get resolved?

The issue has been addressed. The details of that resolution are not really your business.
TGW
RealGM

Post#7 » by TGW » Tue Jul 5, 2016 5:02 pm

tsherkin wrote:

The issue has been addressed. The details of that resolution are not really your business.

I really don't care what the resolution was. But if I see Nate write another hate post in that politics thread, i'll make sure it gets out in public. And trust me when I say I have reach on social media.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by tsherkin » Tue Jul 5, 2016 10:13 pm

TGW wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

I really don't care what the resolution was. But if I see Nate write another hate post in that politics thread, i'll make sure it gets out in public. And trust me when I say I have reach on social media.

I'm not sure what you expect to accomplish by making what are tantamount to threats of libel against RealGM, but I assure you that this is not a positive action to take, and that you are essentially undermining your own position. You do not combat comments with which you do not agree or whose nature you do not support by making attack comments on a broader group out of spite. Take a moment to consider the situation, and try to be a more positive individual. I acknowledge that you have an issue with the comments made, and that's fine, but this is not the way to handle the situation.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,862

Post#9 » by Stanford » Tue Jul 5, 2016 10:21 pm

TGW wrote:Just because he is mod doesn't mean he should be allowed to spread his hate without challenge.

Then challenge him.

He doesn't appear to be trolling. He's clearly putting some time and thought into his posts. You should be able to engage him in conversation. Perhaps you could try that instead of crying racism.
TGW
RealGM

Post#10 » by TGW » Tue Jul 5, 2016 10:31 pm

Stanford wrote:
TGW wrote:Just because he is mod doesn't mean he should be allowed to spread his hate without challenge.

Then challenge him.

He doesn't appear to be trolling. He's clearly putting some time and thought into his posts. You should be able to engage him in conversation. Perhaps you could try that instead of crying racism.

is this a basketball forum or stormfront? many people on stromfront put time in their posts too. doesn't mean it's worth arguing, especially when it contains pseudo-intellectual racism. and I didn't say he was trolling, I said he was spreading hate-speech. trolling suggests he doesn't believe what he's saying, and is doing it for attention. he's not.
TGW
RealGM

Post#11 » by TGW » Tue Jul 5, 2016 10:44 pm

Baiting - Disagree all you like, but keep it courteous.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Stanford » Wed Jul 6, 2016 12:01 am

TGW wrote:is this a basketball forum or stormfront?

Well, it's a thread dedicated to politics on a basketball forum. It's an off-topic thread.

I'm not saying his posts aren't racist, I'm responding to your claim that they're not being challenged. My point about trolling was to say that he's willing to have the conversation, and not just posting nonsense to get a reaction out of people. He believes what he's saying. So go ahead; tell him why he's wrong.

You don't want a challenge, you want a safe space.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,626

Post#13 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jul 6, 2016 12:41 am

Stanford wrote:
TGW wrote:is this a basketball forum or stormfront?

Well, it's a thread dedicated to politics on a basketball forum. It's an off-topic thread.

I'm not saying his posts aren't racist, I'm responding to your claim that they're not being challenged. My point about trolling was to say that he's willing to have the conversation, and not just posting nonsense to get a reaction out of people. He believes what he's saying. So go ahead; tell him why he's wrong.

You don't want a challenge, you want a safe space.

Every idea, no matter how well "thought out" doesn't actually need a platform from RealGM though, does it? You don't actually have to tolerate it.

I'm not really sure what's wrong with wanting a "safe space" from reading racist **** either. You effectively want a representative of this website posting racist crap just because he linked to a completely misleading chart?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Stanford » Wed Jul 6, 2016 12:50 am

Fairview4Life wrote:I'm not really sure what's wrong with wanting a "safe space" from reading racist **** either.

I think it's infantile.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#15 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jul 6, 2016 12:55 am

Stanford wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:I'm not really sure what's wrong with wanting a "safe space" from reading racist **** either.

I think it's infantile.

Ok, and allowing racists to post their "thought out" nonsense as part of a free exchange of ideas on a privately run message board is something that an 18 year old who says The Fountainhead is their favourite book would agree is a great idea.

You delete thousands of posts a day. Making it a thousand and one isn't some sop to the PC police.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#16 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jul 6, 2016 12:59 am

Anyway, at the very least it is weird you would want that person to continue to be a representative of realgm and be unignorable. But whatever, you'll do what you'll do, I guess.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#17 » by goober » Fri Jul 8, 2016 1:12 pm

Is the mod himself being racist? I don't think so. If he made the statement with no statistical backup, then definitely. He has statistical backup though, so his post may come from that report. It's not like he made that statement blindly, it was an educated post with statistical analysis.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#18 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Jul 8, 2016 1:24 pm

Statistical backup for what? It is absolutely racist to say that America's homicide rate is due to there being a lot of black people in America. His statistics don't actually show that, either.

**** Charles Murray disease.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by tsherkin » Sat Jul 9, 2016 12:14 am

That's about enough of that. Thank you for contributing your thoughts, folks. As I said earlier, this has already been handled.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Post#20 » by Howard Mass » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:35 am

Our Wizards forum has some good political discussion but you cannot ignore the Moderators.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:

Return to Feedback and Suggestions