Please update the FAQ about private messages

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
Ville5
Sophomore
And1: 313

Please update the FAQ about private messages 

Post#1 » by Ville5 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 8:35 pm

I wanted to send a PM today but I couldn't find the option. Like the good user I am, I went to the FAQ and found this:

I cannot send private messages!
There are three reasons for this; you are not registered and/or not logged on, the board administrator has disabled private messaging for the entire board, or the board administrator has prevented you from sending messages. Contact a board administrator for more information.

How is that helpful? I had to browse 6 pages worth of threads in this forum until I found a mention that I have to wait 100 days from the moment I registered. It should be in the FAQ.

I especially liked the "Contact a board administrator for more information" part. How can I contact them if I can't send private messages? :roll:
-----------------------

And another thing. I also looked into the FAQ thread in this forum hoping the answer might be there. It wasn't, but instead I found this question:

Why is there a 100 day Waiting Period to post on The General NBA Discussion Forum?

And this made me confused because I've posted on the GB even though I haven't been here 100 days yet.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,180

Stuff 

Post#2 » by tsherkin » Sat Jul 9, 2016 11:13 pm

Ville5 wrote:I especially liked the "Contact a board administrator for more information" part. How can I contact them if I can't send private messages? :roll:

The contact us form in the FAQ.

And another thing. I also looked into the FAQ thread in this forum hoping the answer might be there. It wasn't, but instead I found this question:

Why is there a 100 day Waiting Period to post on The General NBA Discussion Forum?

And this made me confused because I've posted on the GB even though I haven't been here 100 days yet.

Because lots of previously-banned posters abuse multiple accounts to evade their ban, and this makes it more difficult for them. It also helps avoid spam-bots hitting the GB, and newer posters who haven't had time to read the GB-specific policy threads.

Also, the answer to that question IS in the FAQ. This thread, right there, fourth question on the list.
Ville5
Sophomore

Re: Stuff 

Post#3 » by Ville5 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:26 am

tsherkin wrote:
Ville5 wrote:I especially liked the "Contact a board administrator for more information" part. How can I contact them if I can't send private messages? :roll:

The contact us form in the FAQ.

Because lots of previously-banned posters abuse multiple accounts to evade their ban, and this makes it more difficult for them. It also helps avoid spam-bots hitting the GB, and newer posters who haven't had time to read the GB-specific policy threads.

Also, the answer to that question IS in the FAQ. This thread, right there, fourth question on the list.

You misread my post about the hundred days. I haven't been here 100 days yet, but I was able to post on the GB because (I assume) the period was shortened to 60 days. That should be updated as well.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by tsherkin » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:50 pm

Ville5 wrote:You misread my post about the hundred days.

No I didn't. You directly said:

So I answered.

I haven't been here 100 days yet, but I was able to post on the GB because (I assume) the period was shortened to 60 days. That should be updated as well.

No it shouldn't. When that happens, it's the result of a glitch, not updated policy.
Ville5
Sophomore

Post#5 » by Ville5 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:24 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Ville5 wrote:You misread my post about the hundred days.

No I didn't. You directly said:

So I answered.

I haven't been here 100 days yet, but I was able to post on the GB because (I assume) the period was shortened to 60 days. That should be updated as well.

No it shouldn't. When that happens, it's the result of a glitch, not updated policy.

Umm, I copied the question directly from that thread and said that I found it in that thread. Maybe I could have put quote marks around it but I thought it was clear enough anyway. My last sentence clearly states that I'm confused because I am able to post, not because I am not.

So essentially you are saying that I was able to post on the GB because of a glitch? That's... not the answer I expected. Is this glitch constant or does it come and go? What if I start to discuss something in a thread and then suddenly I am not able to post anymore? And I wouldn't be able to send the poster a PM either. That's a pretty bad situation.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by tsherkin » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:25 pm

Ville5 wrote:So essentially you are saying that I was able to post on the GB because of a glitch? That's... not the answer I expected. Is this glitch constant or does it come and go? What if I start to discuss something in a thread and then suddenly I am not able to post anymore? And I wouldn't be able to send the poster a PM either. That's a pretty bad situation.

That's about the size of it, and yes, it comes and goes. It's problematic.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,644

Re: Please update the FAQ about private messages 

Post#7 » by Howard Mass » Thu Aug 4, 2016 3:35 pm

Ville5 wrote:I wanted to send a PM today but I couldn't find the option. Like the good user I am, I went to the FAQ and found this:

There are three reasons for this; you are not registered and/or not logged on, the board administrator has disabled private messaging for the entire board, or the board administrator has prevented you from sending messages. Contact a board administrator for more information.

How is that helpful? I had to browse 6 pages worth of threads in this forum until I found a mention that I have to wait 100 days from the moment I registered. It should be in the FAQ.

I especially liked the "Contact a board administrator for more information" part. How can I contact them if I can't send private messages? :roll:
-----------------------

ville5,

Please link me to where you saw this and I'll fix it.

The 100 Day Waiting Period is to stop spammers from PMing Users.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Ville5
Sophomore

Post#8 » by Ville5 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 8:08 pm

Howard Mass wrote:
Ville5 wrote:I wanted to send a PM today but I couldn't find the option. Like the good user I am, I went to the FAQ and found this:

-----------------------

ville5,

Please link me to where you saw this and I'll fix it.

The 100 Day Waiting Period is to stop spammers from PMing Users.

It's here: faq.php#f5r0

As an aside, I do understand the need to stop spammers, but maybe 30 days would be enough? 100 days is more than 3 months, it's a really long time for new users. For example, I'm a Knicks fan, and Knicks signed a new Lithuanian player with a long last name this summer. The person who created the introduction thread spelled the last name wrongly and as a result, many fans learned the name wrongly. I posted in the thread about this but nobody fixed it. Then I wanted to send a PM to a mod but I couldn't. In the end, the title was fixed only a couple of weeks later.

I imagine there must be many situations where new users would prefer to ask a question via PM rather than publicly. Also nobody has sent me a PM, but if they did, I wouldn't be able to answer, right? And if a new user is active, it's more than enough time to make friends on the forum and want to communicate via PM. I'm just saying that 100 days seems a little excessive.
Ville5
Sophomore

Post#9 » by Ville5 » Sat Sep 3, 2016 1:18 pm

I see that the FAQ is still not updated. That's too bad.

But I have another question. 100 days have passed and I'm still not able to send PM's. Why? Do I also need to have 100 posts or something?
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#10 » by Howard Mass » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:58 am

Ville5 wrote:I see that the FAQ is still not updated. That's too bad.

But I have another question. 100 days have passed and I'm still not able to send PM's. Why? Do I also need to have 100 posts or something?

Ville5,

We cannot update the faq at this time but please try sending a PM now.

Ville5
Sophomore

Post#11 » by Ville5 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Howard Mass wrote:
Ville5 wrote:I see that the FAQ is still not updated. That's too bad.

Ville5,

We cannot update the faq at this time but please try sending a PM now.

I didn't actually send one but I can see the option now so it should work. Thanks.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#12 » by Howard Mass » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:38 pm

Sounds good.

Return to Feedback and Suggestions