About the language policy

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
Salieri
Analyst
And1: 7,470

About the language policy 

Post#1 » by Salieri » Thu Sep 1, 2016 4:26 pm

It's not that it has personally bothered me a great deal, because I'm not a huge fan of using foul language to enhance my points. But there's a thread in the General Board that brought the topic up and I couldn't resist myself to make a point of evaluating the true need for *this* kind of language policy. Tsherkin said that was not the point that was being discussed and that I should talk about it in the Feedback Forum. He was totally right and here I am, asking the question in a more proper environment.

Are we sure censoring certain parts of our vocabulary is more a measure of protection than a measure of freedom?

This is the link to the thread in the GB where I make my point more extensively, btw: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1474922

Thanks in advance.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,830

Re: About the language policy 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Sep 9, 2016 12:46 am

I think its pretty simple: you open it up to no language restrictions and you pretty much guarantee that a ton of boards including the General Board will simply become havens for trolls because no one who wants serious basketball discussion is going to want to wade through all that nonsense.

And once you open the window to foul language in the name of free speech then it becomes a much bigger hassle having to deal with hate speech on top of that.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,654

Re: About the language policy 

Post#3 » by Howard Mass » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:00 pm

I agree TC. Thank you for answering this.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:

Return to Feedback and Suggestions