Current Affairs board - rules and moderation

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Current Affairs board - rules and moderation 

Post#1 » by Novocaine » Sat May 5, 2018 1:04 am

I was advised by a forum moderator to start this thread - I believe it might be useful to provide some clarification on the rules and moderation of the Current Affairs board.

Providing some quick context: earlier today another RGM poster linked me to some comments on the Current Affairs board that I'm not sure I had ever read before - I think I did years ago, but not sure - the issue at hand being related to my field of work, namely taxation policy. I proceeded to make a few comments, I believe this being the first : viewtopic.php?f=69&t=1697409&start=860#p65847309 . Most of them are on the technical point on the mechanism through which lower tax expenditures by firms lead to wage growth on the models that include them (which are pretty much all, the contentious issue how large/small is that effect). As I was on that thread, I casually replied to a comment someone had posted in the meantime. Let me get the url:

viewtopic.php?f=69&p=65852653#p65852653

For this, I was issued a warning by "fleet" with the motive being "derailment". I was quite perplexed and asked what exactly could constitute derailment; he clarified that it was derailment because, and I quote ipsis verbis, "talking Obama and his economy are not the subject of thread".

I found this beyond absurd: not only I didn't bring up "Obama and his economy", rather was merely replying to a comment about them; there's an abundance of mentions to Obama and his administration policies, consequences, etc, in that particular thread and every single the "Trump Thread xyz" I checked. I would think that is to be expected - how on earth can one even discuss the public policy of one president while not mentioning the others? This wasn't a decontextualized mention to a past administration; rather an argument on how to assign responsibility for the current economic climate to the current and past administrations.

In the same PM, "fleet" claimed that, and I quote again, moderators are "hardcore on [mentions to Obama". He then claimed that everyone gets warnings for that reason and moderators are very "strict about it". I quickly read the thread a few pages back and found that implausible. FWIW, two posters I asked about this issue claimed they have never got a warning for talking about Obama and other extraneous issues.

He then made the following comment on the thread:

"General reminder/warning. Obama, Fox, and Democrats are not subject of thread. Go to appropriate thread. Say no to derailing."
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=1697409&start=880#p65853015

I suspect the reason he had to write that comment is that he was being less than truthful when he claimed that "everybody gets a warning" for those things. In the meantime, and already after this stuff, there have been a bunch of comments about Obama, Fox, etc, that someone (I assume "fleet") has diligently moved to another thread - I find pretty bizarre people are getting warnings about the issue and still writing those posts one after the other?

Anyway, the trouble is that "mentions of Obama, Fox, Democrats, etc" seems like an absurd standard for derailment. And leave a huge amount of discretion for the moderators to issue wanrings and bans for the most trivial measures. That prompted me to ask for further clarification in the thread; "fleet" replied with this comment: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=1697409&start=900#p65856537

Make of that what you will, to me it just seems weird.

So, what I'd ask the moderation team to clarify:

- what exactly is the standard to derailment? Or forget about the exactly, just an approximation. If such a trivial topic like "what amount of credit does the Trump Administration deserve for the current economy and what should be assignedto past Administration, Congress, etc?" constitutes derailment of a generic "Trump Thread", as "fleet" claims, what on earth doesn't? Surely I can't be the only person thinking this is nuts? :crazy:

- is it accurate that posters are issued board warnings over such trivial things?

I fully understand hard and fast rules are impossible, that Justice Potter Stewart's "I know it when I see it" is the only operative threshold, and that it isn't easy for moderators to adjudicate what is or isn't derailment - also that inevitably mistakes will be made. However, I'd rather not be banned because of some innocuous allusions to another politicians, or news orgs, or political parties in a thread literally named after the POTUS and ostensibly created to discuss politics and policy. I mean, the simple fact that posts keep being moved from that thread to another suggests not even the regulars on that board are au fait with the rules? How about the other threads?

I know politics is a very charged issue, people get emotional over it, mods will occasionally not be immune to such things. I suspect that's what happened with this moderator - which would be of no importance if it wasn't for all the weirdness that followed. I apologize in advance if I'm wrong, but it seems "fleet" made a little faux pas by issuing a warning for an utter banality, but then got trapped on and is now way too emotional to find his way out of it - his replies are increasingly erratic and esoteric, he sent me a link to some thread over PM and said "go complain there", then wrote in the thread that I should contact him via PM if I want to know if a certain comment is permissible (I think that post was deleted), but on most of his PMs he just make the same vague, snark-heavy, comments and doesn't really reply to my question.

To wrap this up, I genuinely just want to know if, e.g. writing something like "Trump isn't even the first POTUS using that expression, here's an example of the former POTUS using the exact same wording" on the "Trump Thread" will get me issued another board warning or not. This should be an easy yes or no question - although it'd be frankly bizarre if the answer was a yes- and probably more work for the moderators that they'd like to deal with!

Thanks in advance for addressing this issue.
KennySkyWalker
Senior
And1: 200

Re: Current Affairs board - rules and moderation 

Post#2 » by KennySkyWalker » Sat May 5, 2018 1:37 am

I got the same derailment charge. Don't worry about it. They are just trying to keep you in check which is a shame because you have so much to contribute. My only issue with Fleet is that since he's a moderator of the CA board, it would be nice if he acted in a non-partisan manner when posting.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#3 » by FNQ » Mon May 7, 2018 1:07 am

KennySkyWalker wrote:I got the same derailment charge. Don't worry about it. They are just trying to keep you in check which is a shame because you have so much to contribute. My only issue with Fleet is that since he's a moderator of the CA board, it would be nice if he acted in a non-partisan manner when posting.

Mods are only supposed to keep the flow of conversation going and make sure everyone is behaving.. and usually made mods because of their activity on the boards/good behavior. If he wasnt non-partisan in the past, why should he be expected to be once becoming a mod?

*note - not saying that fleet is partisan (I dont know, I only follow certain threads there) but just saying as an example. Mods are posters, we have opinions and sometimes hot takes. If being a mod meant we weren't allowed to have our true opinions, I think a lot of us wouldnt have taken on the responsibility
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#4 » by Howard Mass » Thu Jun 7, 2018 9:41 pm

Some changes are coming to our Current Affairs Forum.

It is a very difficult assignment for Moderators and I am going to make things easier on them and it will thus make things on the Forum better for our Users.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
KennySkyWalker
Senior

Post#5 » by KennySkyWalker » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Howard Mass wrote:Some changes are coming to our Current Affairs Forum.

It is a very difficult assignment for Moderators and I am going to make things easier on them and it will thus make things on the Forum better for our Users.

It is only a difficult assignment because you hire far left politically biased mods who lean toward Marxism. These are angry people to begin with. You give them the title of moderator on a current affairs board they become more unhinged than they already are.

Put up a sign that says Conservative opinions are not welcome here. If you post here expect to get personally attacked. Problem solved.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 » by Howard Mass » Sat Jul 7, 2018 11:35 pm

KennySkyWalker wrote:

It is only a difficult assignment because you hire far left politically biased mods who lean toward Marxism. These are angry people to begin with. You give them the title of moderator on a current affairs board they become more unhinged than they already are.

Put up a sign that says Conservative opinions are not welcome here. If you post here expect to get personally attacked. Problem solved.

I try to have a group of Moderators with diverse political views and actually do.

You know what? Your posts look awfully familiar and you've been here less than a year.

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,334

Post#7 » by fleet » Sun Jul 8, 2018 12:09 am

Ruh roh
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
KennySkyWalker
Senior

Post#8 » by KennySkyWalker » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:32 am

Howard Mass wrote:
KennySkyWalker wrote:

I try to have a group of Moderators with diverse political views and actually do.

You know what? Your posts look awfully familiar and you've been here less than a year.

Of course Godfather, all Conservatives look the same to you.

Conservatives cannot post on the current affairs board because of the non-stop personal attacks. I never flagged anyone for it and never came back at them in kind. I was also personally attacked through private messages.

How about that Kevin Knox? Looked pretty good today.

Had to throw that in so I can be charged with "derailment." It will make fleet happy.

Shout out to fleet!

It is what it is.

The Godfather is on TV now. No conspiracy.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#9 » by Howard Mass » Sun Jul 8, 2018 5:25 am

KennySkyWalker wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
KennySkyWalker wrote:

Conservatives cannot post on the current affairs board because of the non-stop personal attacks. I never flagged anyone for it and never came back at them in kind. I was also personally attacked through private messages.

Had to throw that in so I can be charged with "derailment." It will make fleet happy.

Shout out to fleet!

It is what it is.

I actually have many conservative friends and have conservative Moderators on my Moderator Team. I just want to make that clear

but...........

Godfather?

How am I a Godfather?

Is it because I had a past account of yours whacked or something?

For the record, I do the executions myself around here and this reply shows me I need to do another one on the account that you are indeed a previously banned user. :D

kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,610

Post#10 » by kyphi » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:34 pm

Howard would make a sweet godfather for any lucky newborn, you doofus.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#11 » by Howard Mass » Sun Jul 8, 2018 8:50 pm

kyphi wrote:Howard would make a sweet godfather for any lucky newborn, you doofus.

i'm an Uncle to 4 so that's like being a parent without much responsibility.

Thank you for the kind words.

High_Noon
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#12 » by High_Noon » Mon Jul 9, 2018 2:05 am

Howard Mass wrote:
KennySkyWalker wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:

Shout out to fleet!

It is what it is.

I actually have many conservative friends and have conservative Moderators on my Moderator Team. I just want to make that clear

but...........

Godfather?

How am I a Godfather?

For the record, I do the executions myself around here and this reply shows me I need to do another one on the account that you are indeed a previously banned user. :D

Actually is a bad choice of words here since it diminishes your credibility. Who are these magical "Conservative" moderators? They have never contacted me.

kyphi just hurled an insult. :lol: That is not acceptable on this website according to your #1 rule. Attack the post, not the poster. Such hypocrites. You guys can't help yourselves with the personal attacks. Online it is personal attacks while in the real world libs get violent towards Conservatives.

That's ok Kyphi, I've called you much worse in the past. All is forgiven. You know, it's been 12 years! I was one of the first people on this website and why was I banned in 2006? For asking a mod to do an IP check on a poster who pretended to be a Palestinian from Israel and used that as a cover to bash Jews. I was then asked to provide the moderator's name who gave me the information and I refused to do so. Howard banned me for that. The mod is still here by the way and doing a fantastic job. The irony is that if I did turn him in you would have kept me and probably banned him. Amazing how things work out.

Anyway, I think I'm going to come back as a liberal with a bad case of TDS just so I can personally attack people and feel good about myself. Ok, I declare myself a liberal!

But first...

Read on Twitter

:lol:

Howard, I jokingly called you Godfather because as I said, the movie was on television as the post was being written. It just so happened to be the final scene.

You've seen my twitter. I was trying to clue you in. You asked me who I was. Gary Cooper in High Noon should have been a clue.

Dang, I can't believe you axed Kenny Sky Walker. Such a cool name. Horrific NBA player but he sure could jump. High_Noon is awesome too. Hopefully, Gary Cooper can stick around for a few minutes. :P

Since you're a Yankees fan, I thought you might like the Gary Cooper reference.

And with that...

...I bid you adieu. I'll catch you on the liberal side as a gay man from Canada.

Oh, and you'll know me by my new avatar, the picture below. This way nobody can pick on me because I'm part of the protected class.

WarFan
RealGM
And1: 1,484

Post#13 » by WarFan » Mon Jul 9, 2018 2:34 am

Hardcore doofus itt
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,610

Post#14 » by kyphi » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:14 pm

I thank you, High Noon, for your comment. :meditate: May peace be with you~
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#15 » by Howard Mass » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:16 pm

High_Noon wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
KennySkyWalker wrote:

Shout out to fleet!

It is what it is.

but...........

Godfather?

How am I a Godfather?

Actually is a bad choice of words here since it diminishes your credibility. Who are these magical "Conservative" moderators? They have never contacted me.

kyphi just hurled an insult. :lol: That is not acceptable on this website according to your #1 rule. Attack the post, not the poster. Such hypocrites. You guys can't help yourselves with the personal attacks. Online it is personal attacks while in the real world libs get violent towards Conservatives.

That's ok Kyphi, I've called you much worse in the past. All is forgiven. You know, it's been 12 years! I was one of the first people on this website and why was I banned in 2006? For asking a mod to do an IP check on a poster who pretended to be a Palestinian from Israel and used that as a cover to bash Jews. I was then asked to provide the moderator's name who gave me the information and I refused to do so. Howard banned me for that. The mod is still here by the way and doing a fantastic job. The irony is that if I did turn him in you would have kept me and probably banned him. Amazing how things work out.

Anyway, I think I'm going to come back as a liberal with a bad case of TDS just so I can personally attack people and feel good about myself. Ok, I declare myself a liberal!

But first...

Read on Twitter

:lol:

Howard, I jokingly called you Godfather because as I said, the movie was on television as the post was being written. It just so happened to be the final scene.

You've seen my twitter. I was trying to clue you in. You asked me who I was. Gary Cooper in High Noon should have been a clue.

Dang, I can't believe you axed Kenny Sky Walker. Such a cool name. Horrific NBA player but he sure could jump. High_Noon is awesome too. Hopefully, Gary Cooper can stick around for a few minutes. :P

Since you're a Yankees fan, I thought you might like the Gary Cooper reference.

And with that...

...I bid you adieu. I'll catch you on the liberal side as a gay man from Canada.

Oh, and you'll know me by my new avatar, the picture below. This way nobody can pick on me because I'm part of the protected class.

:pityfool:

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,730

Post#16 » by Duffman100 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 9:03 pm

In my opinion we need to take down all the fences on the CA board. Defence it if you will.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#17 » by Howard Mass » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:20 am

Duffman100 wrote:In my opinion we need to take down all the fences on the CA board. Defence it if you will.

LOL!

The Moderators are doing a good job of getting things on track.

Return to Feedback and Suggestions