Holding Mods Accountable and Double Standards...

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
TheBonzaiEffect
Sixth Man
And1: 1,793

Holding Mods Accountable and Double Standards... 

Post#1 » by TheBonzaiEffect » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:32 pm

I think this is a real problem on RealGM. I understand being a Mod is an arduous, often thankless, job. And I salute everyone who takes up that mantle. But just like cops or any other position of power, there is always a bad apple or two...or even simply those who allow their human biases to take a hold.

I bring this up as recently the moderator Ken displayed rampant double standards and hypocrisy in how I was treated vs. the other dozens attacking/baiting me. He then attacked me personally for daring to call out his hypocrisy. During the Raptors/Mavs game (I think we all objectively can agree how Raptors fans can get, in general, more than any other fan base here...), I said something insulting about their fanbase. I received a strike. Fair enough. I did not realize I had two previous strikes from over a year ago (separate issue...maybe strikes should reset after a certain amount of time has lapsed?), so I received a temporary ban. However, the problem lies in that a number of other posters were baiting me, insulting me, harassing me, even when I couldn't respond. And they had carte blanche to do so. I reported these posts like I'm supposed to. Ken's response to these egregious personal attacks? And I quote...

"They are not, not even remotely personal attacks.

Bringing up the Canadian education system, is.

For one last time - what others are saying to you, and how we handle them, is none of your concern."

Here is one of the personal attacks I reported:

viewtopic.php?p=80506221#p80506221

"So very salty with your posts. Will you cry yourself to sleep tonight? Hold up that L, kid."

I'm sorry...but in what world is calling me salty, calling me a kid (I'm a 35 year-old man, not a "kid". I'm also a POC so I hate that racist term), and telling me to cry myself to sleep at night and hold an L, not baiting and a personal attack? In what world? Let alone "not even remotely a personal attack."

After questioning this, I could no longer post (before the PM exchange, I still could).

I've been in contact with several other Mods, two of which have been very helpful and understanding. But I feel in situations like these, there needs to be checks and balances in place. If Ken thinks what was said to me is ok, then that's a problem. A big one. Can we not:

A. Review the action of other Mods, just like Police, refs, and others are internally reviewed?

B. Perhaps vote on strikes/reported content, rather than having one Mod who might have a personal bias, make the decision unilaterally?

I love RealGM, but I'm very disappointed in how this situation was handled. A mob of childish bullying was condoned, while I was punished.

Happy Holidays.

Best,

Bonzai
azcatz11
Head Coach
And1: 7,547

Re: Holding Mods Accountable and Double Standards... 

Post#2 » by azcatz11 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:46 am

TheBonzaiEffect wrote:I think this is a real problem on RealGM. I understand being a Mod is an arduous, often thankless, job. And I salute everyone who takes up that mantle. But just like cops or any other position of power, there is always a bad apple or two...or even simply those who allow their human biases to take a hold.

I bring this up as recently the moderator Ken displayed rampant double standards and hypocrisy in how I was treated vs. the other dozens attacking/baiting me. He then attacked me personally for daring to call out his hypocrisy. During the Raptors/Mavs game (I think we all objectively can agree how Raptors fans can get, in general, more than any other fan base here...), I said something insulting about their fanbase. I received a strike. Fair enough. I did not realize I had two previous strikes from over a year ago (separate issue...maybe strikes should reset after a certain amount of time has lapsed?), so I received a temporary ban. However, the problem lies in that a number of other posters were baiting me, insulting me, harassing me, even when I couldn't respond. And they had carte blanche to do so. I reported these posts like I'm supposed to. Ken's response to these egregious personal attacks? And I quote...

"They are not, not even remotely personal attacks.

Bringing up the Canadian education system, is.

For one last time - what others are saying to you, and how we handle them, is none of your concern."

Here is one of the personal attacks I reported:

viewtopic.php?p=80506221#p80506221

"So very salty with your posts. Will you cry yourself to sleep tonight? Hold up that L, kid."

I'm sorry...but in what world is calling me salty, calling me a kid (I'm a 35 year-old man, not a "kid". I'm also a POC so I hate that racist term), and telling me to cry myself to sleep at night and hold an L, not baiting and a personal attack? In what world? Let alone "not even remotely a personal attack."

After questioning this, I could no longer post (before the PM exchange, I still could).

I've been in contact with several other Mods, two of which have been very helpful and understanding. But I feel in situations like these, there needs to be checks and balances in place. If Ken thinks what was said to me is ok, then that's a problem. A big one. Can we not:

A. Review the action of other Mods, just like Police, refs, and others are internally reviewed?

B. Perhaps vote on strikes/reported content, rather than having one Mod who might have a personal bias, make the decision unilaterally?

I love RealGM, but I'm very disappointed in how this situation was handled. A mob of childish bullying was condoned, while I was punished.

Happy Holidays.

Best,

Bonzai

I agree with you 100%

Return to Feedback and Suggestions