Blocking horribly annoying avatars

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,899

Blocking horribly annoying avatars 

Post#1 » by qm22 » Sat May 30, 2020 2:11 am

So we've all probably had a few avatars we find to be eye sores, and usually it's probably not a big deal to avoid looking once in a while. Sometimes though, the same guy will post frequent twitter link drops so that 30-50% of the posts on each discussion page of a thread are the same guy, and the same ugly ___ gif again and again and again. I don't begrudge anyone their choice in an avatar, but there should be an option to not have to look at it for those that find it annoying.

When I was writing this post I had the idea to just put the person on the Foe list, and it actually doesn't stop showing the person's posts, which appears to be a separate bug.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 24,037

Re: Blocking horribly annoying avatars 

Post#2 » by Dirk » Sun May 31, 2020 5:10 pm

qm22 wrote:So we've all probably had a few avatars we find to be eye sores, and usually it's probably not a big deal to avoid looking once in a while. Sometimes though, the same guy will post frequent twitter link drops so that 30-50% of the posts on each discussion page of a thread are the same guy, and the same ugly ___ gif again and again and again. I don't begrudge anyone their choice in an avatar, but there should be an option to not have to look at it for those that find it annoying.

When I was writing this post I had the idea to just put the person on the Foe list, and it actually doesn't stop showing the person's posts, which appears to be a separate bug.

Can you link me to the sort of avatars you're mentioning?

This is an idea to block all the avatars.

Board preferences / Edit display options
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,899

Post#3 » by qm22 » Mon Jun 1, 2020 4:02 am

Dirk wrote:
qm22 wrote:So we've all probably had a few avatars we find to be eye sores, and usually it's probably not a big deal to avoid looking once in a while. Sometimes though, the same guy will post frequent twitter link drops so that 30-50% of the posts on each discussion page of a thread are the same guy, and the same ugly ___ gif again and again and again. I don't begrudge anyone their choice in an avatar, but there should be an option to not have to look at it for those that find it annoying.

Can you link me to the sort of avatars you're mentioning?

This is an idea to block all the avatars.

Board preferences / Edit display options
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

Thanks for the reply. I am PMing the ID and thread link.

Since my post I tried using an adblock-type plugin to block page elements, which seems to have worked though I think maybe I also blocked other users using the same image host.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 24,037

Post#4 » by Dirk » Mon Jun 1, 2020 11:15 am

qm22 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I am PMing the ID and thread link.

Since my post I tried using an adblock-type plugin to block page elements, which seems to have worked though I think maybe I also blocked other users using the same image host.

In your adblock plugin, look in the filters, see what you actually added when you blocked the elements. It may be possible to block the single image link (right click on the avatar and get the full url.gif link) and not the whole domain. If you look into it, you can probably get it done.

You may also consider adding the user to your 'foe' list, that will hide all his posts (you won't have to load his tweets). This link should lead you to the section where you can add users to the 'foe' list: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/ucp.php?i=ucp_zebra&mode=foes

I put your username to test and check how it will look,

It's probably the best idea as it both blocks the content of the posts and the avatar.

Return to Feedback and Suggestions