RealGM Pop-Ups / Ads

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,716

RealGM Pop-Ups / Ads 

Post#1 » by thinktank » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:27 pm

This site is one of the worst on the internet for pop-ups and it seems like realgm is always engineering another lame pop-up.

Now I’m getting these videos in the lower right of my phone and when you close it it says “closing” before it finally goes away.

And it pops up on every single page.

Anybody else getting that?

Anybody else tired of all the pop-ups?

The loading of the website is also bad. Seems like too much info is presented on each page so it jumps around when it’s loading.

I’m on an iPhone 10 so my phone shouldn’t be a problem. No other websites I visit have these issues.

(If a mod wants to move this thread to a more fitting location, go for it, but I wanted to get the opinions of posters I’m familiar with here. Thanks.)
"a poor addition to the board"
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,188

Re: RealGM Pop-Ups / Ads 

Post#2 » by Sgt Major » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:29 pm

Just install some ad-blocker.

I have uBlock Origin on my PCs and phone and I'm seeing zero ads here.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,087

Post#3 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:30 pm

never seen one.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#4 » by BadWolf » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:32 pm

What pop ups, what ads? :D
thinktank
Analyst

Post#5 » by thinktank » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:33 pm

[streamable][/streamable]
Sgt Major wrote:Just install some ad-blocker.

I have uBlock Origin on my PCs and phone and I'm seeing zero ads here.

I have ad blocker for Chrome.

It’s not an issue on my imac but it’s annoying on my phone.
thinktank
Analyst

Post#6 » by thinktank » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:33 pm

BadWolf wrote:What pop ups, what ads? :D

:lol:

You forgot the green font.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,592

Post#7 » by bisme37 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:34 pm

I was getting them on my previous Mac but I got a new one recently and with the improved security features of the OS I'm not getting any now. Don't think I've ever gotten them on my phone, which is an old LG Android.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#8 » by BadWolf » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:36 pm

thinktank wrote:

Nope.
Are there ads and pop ups on the internet?
Haven't seen one since the nineties.
It's your fault if you do.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,193

Post#9 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:36 pm

I switched to a different browser solely because of this website. The ads were so annoying from Chrome so I switched to the ad blocker browser.
Lakers LeBron
Senior
And1: 1,679

Post#10 » by Lakers LeBron » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:37 pm

Pop-ups and other advertisements are the only way RealGM can afford to pay the moderators' salaries

I personally support the moderation team by NOT installing an adblocker and you too can do the same
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,518

Post#11 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:38 pm

thinktank wrote:

I haven't seen an ad in years...I forget they're even a thing.
Jellybeans
Starter
And1: 2,344

Post#12 » by Jellybeans » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:39 pm

Using chrome and ive seen 0 adds for years :lol:
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,399

Post#13 » by RunOKC » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:39 pm

I use Firefox on my phone with no issues. I believe it has ad blocker built into the settings somewhere.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,833

Post#14 » by Beethoven » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:40 pm

thinktank wrote:This site is one of the worst on the internet for pop-ups and it seems like realgm is always engineering another lame pop-up.

Now I’m getting these videos in the lower right of my phone and when you close it it says “closing” before it finally goes away.

The loading of the website is also bad. Seems like too much info is presented on each page so it jumps around when it’s loading.

I’m on an iPhone 10 so my phone shouldn’t be a problem. No other websites I visit have these issues.

(If a mod wants to move this thread to a more fitting location, go for it, but I wanted to get the opinions of posters I’m familiar with here. Thanks.)

I completely agree with you on all your points.

I get these annoying ads on my phone as well. Sometimes in the past the ad would just pop up in the middle of my screen, while I am typing or something and I will accidentally click on it and go to that sponsor. It was hell annoying.
Sometimes the ad like these days, w the video player on the bottom , the sound would go off and that would be annoying because sometimes I am checking on the forum where I need to be somewhere quiet.

The jumping around on the page has always been a problem for this site. I have made a habit of waiting 5 seconds now prior to touching anything on the screen, because I would click on a different thread or some other link like someone's profile un-intentionally while the page was still loading. So it would perhaps show on realgm's end that I was interested in looking at some thread or someone's profile when I had no intention to. I am never interested in anyone's profile.

Sometimes I would accidentally and1 someone or report someone when I am just clicking on it bc those buttons are next to each other and they shift while they load even after 5 seconds.
Hell annoying site but I still come here bc there is no other choice.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,042

Post#15 » by ItsDanger » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:41 pm

Use one of the various ad blockers as recommended. The page is "jumping" around as its adjusting the page to fit ads.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,961

Post#16 » by miamiheat319 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:42 pm

The Aloha browser works great on my phone. Got it specifically for this site but I use it for others that have a lot of ads as well since it has a built in ad blocker. Can’t stand advertising in general, I will do whatever it takes to block it in any form
NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
makubesu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,781

Post#17 » by makubesu » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:43 pm

I use Firefox on my phone with the super strict no tracking setting. The only downside is on realgm you have to click on Twitter links (embedded tweets can be tracked)
thinktank
Analyst

Post#18 » by thinktank » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:44 pm

Beethoven wrote:
thinktank wrote:This site is one of the worst on the internet for pop-ups and it seems like realgm is always engineering another lame pop-up.

I completely agree with you on all your points.

I get these annoying ads on my phone as well. Sometimes in the past the ad would just pop up in the middle of my screen, while I am typing or something and I will accidentally click on it and go to that sponsor. It was hell annoying.
Sometimes the ad like these days, w the video player on the bottom , the sound would go off and that would be annoying because sometimes I am checking on the forum where I need to be somewhere quiet.

The jumping around on the page has always been a problem for this site. I have made a habit of waiting 5 seconds now prior to touching anything on the screen, because I would click on a different thread or some other link like someone's profile un-intentionally while the page was still loading. So it would perhaps show on realgm's end that I was interested in looking at some thread or someone's profile when I had no intention to. I am never interested in anyone's profile.

Sometimes I would accidentally and1 someone or report someone when I am just clicking on it bc those buttons are next to each other and they shift while they load even after 5 seconds.
Hell annoying site but I still come here bc there is no other choice.

Thank you.

It’s always another stupid ad here.
thinktank
Analyst

Post#19 » by thinktank » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:45 pm

miamiheat319 wrote:The Aloha browser works great on my phone. Got it specifically for this site but I use it for others that have a lot of ads as well since it has a built in ad blocker. Can’t stand advertising in general, I will do whatever it takes to block it in any form

How lame is that that you have to switch browsers to enjoy realgm?
thinktank
Analyst

Post#20 » by thinktank » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:46 pm

BadWolf wrote:
thinktank wrote:

Nope.
Are there ads and pop ups on the internet?
Haven't seen one since the nineties.
It's your fault if you do.

What browser and ad blocker do you use?

Return to Feedback and Suggestions