why is there an mlb forum

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!

which system was better?

old way
14%
new way
86%

Total votes: 14

mcmasterballer
Banned User
And1: 1

why is there an mlb forum 

Post#1 » by mcmasterballer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:59 am

theres clearly not enough demand to create a whole separate league of forums devoted to just baseball... i think it was a horrible mistake because i realize that its only a few clicks away but you have to scroll back tot he top and such when before it was right down there at your fingertips in the scrollbar... i think we should go back to the old model and just have a thread which is stickied at the top of all the nba city's or in the case of some teams which don't have nba cities to have it stickied whereever a large fanbase is... i dont think im the only one who feels this way and i think i should at the very least suggest it...

btw im a pretty big baseball fan but a whole new league of forums? really? are you serious?
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#2 » by Buck You » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:52 pm

There's also a Football and Hockey forum. I think plenty of people go on them to warrant keeping them here. I surely enjoy them and go on them all the time.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:27 am

It took many years for the basketball forums to build up the traffic they have now.

Have patience, and give it time. The old single forum was not conducive to talking about more than one thing or team at a time.

Many more posters are probably ecstatic with having all the forums, and they fought hard for them.

Have faith. They'll pick up.
Comet
Veteran
And1: 8

Post#4 » by Comet » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:03 am

I love the MLB forum. It's great to have team boards, and also, the Brewers, Cubs, and Yankees boards have over 20,000 posts each. That's pretty impressive considering they haven't even been here for a year.

Also, I took a look at some of the RealGM archives. I forgot the link, but it took forever before it became popular. Now, it's the top NBA forum on the Internet.

The MLB forum will probably become even more popular than the NBA forum in time. Just have some patience.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#5 » by El Turco » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:43 am

not that it has anything to do with the issue but,

baseball sux.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#6 » by Posey H8er » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:04 am

ElTurco wrote:not that it has anything to do with the issue but,

baseball sux.

:nonono:

I think the NBA boards should model the Toronto Raptors board, where they have a link to OT Canada.
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=32

It would create more traffic. I think posters are stubborn becuase they see that since no one else is posting, then they shouldn't themeselves. If many people think this then that's maybe one reason why some boards are a little slow.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#7 » by SportsWorld » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:47 am

Posey H8er wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:nonono:

I think the NBA boards should model the Toronto Raptors board, where they have a link to OT Canada.
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=32

It would create more traffic. I think posters are stubborn becuase they see that since no one else is posting, then they shouldn't themeselves. If many people think this then that's maybe one reason why some boards are a little slow.

I think RealGM is adding something like that this Spring although I am not 100% sure on when it will come out.

The baseball boards are doing great for the most part. The Brewers, Cubs, Diamondbacks (Series threads), Mets (Series threads), Red Sox (Series threads), Blue Jays (Series Threads) and Yankees boards all have daily game threads/Series threads. I think the Mets, Blue Jays, and Dodgers boards should all get bigger this season as well. In the past few weeks, I have noticed a lot of new posters heading straight to the MLB forums. The Cubs board just added a new member today. The more new members we get the bigger the boards will get.

Believe it or not but the Cubs board in just under one year is already bigger than the Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Hornets, and San Antonio Spurs boards. The Brewers board is really big as well.

In less than a year, the baseball boards have already gotten 120,000+ posts. That's pretty good for a forum.
The hockey boards are going to take the most work and may not be as successful as the MLB and NFL boards. If the Maple Leafs get better in the next few years the NHL boards should take off.

I don't understand why you would want to go back to the old way. If you don't like the team boards, just post in the general MLB discussion board which is basically MLB Diamond at a new location. I think maybe we should have the MLB Diamond forum link to the new boards so new members can get redirected there without trouble.

One problem I have is when I see game threads for football or baseball games on the NBA boards. I feel mods should lock those up and redirect their posters to the new boards so they can help them grow (The Bulls and Bucks boards and a few others do a great job at this, thus the reason why the Bears, Cubs, Blackhawks, Packers, and Brewers boards are doing so well so far). Sunday, I saw a Giants/Packers on the Knicks board that went 30 pages and they started it in the second half. Imagine if those posters were posting on the new Giants board. The Giants board is basically dead now.

That being said, it took some time for these NBA boards to grow. Once word gets out there about these forums via Google or other sites, these boards will spread like a wildfire. You guys can all spread the word as well by telling friends and family about the new boards.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#8 » by SportsWorld » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:07 am

Comet wrote:Also, I took a look at some of the RealGM archives. I forgot the link, but it took forever before it became popular. Now, it's the top NBA forum on the Internet.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://rea ... /index.php
Copy and paste that all into the URL bar ^
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#9 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:19 am

I'm a Packer fan, not a Bucks fan. Why do I want to hang out with a bunch of Bucks fans in order to talk Packers? The new boards are clearly great. It just takes time for non-basketball fans to discover them.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#10 » by trwi7 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:52 pm

Yep it's a great idea. I love the Brewers and Packers boards. Keeps the team basketball board less cluttered and if you're a fan of one NBA team and not a fan of that city's baseball team then you're less likely to talk about them.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#11 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:08 pm

One problem I have is when I see game threads for football or baseball games on the NBA boards. I feel mods should lock those up and redirect their posters to the new boards so they can help them grow (The Bulls and Bucks boards and a few others do a great job at this, thus the reason why the Bears, Cubs, Blackhawks, Packers, and Brewers boards are doing so well so far). Sunday, I saw a Giants/Packers on the Knicks board that went 30 pages and they started it in the second half. Imagine if those posters were posting on the new Giants board. The Giants board is basically dead now.

Noticed the exact same thing, went to the Giants board to congratulate them and they had like two posts in the game thread. Went to the Knicks board and they had several 10+ page game threads about Eli, the game, etc.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#12 » by RockTHECasbah » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:28 am

What about custom links to your favourite teams?

Also, the people who wanted the new forums are very happy. The people who didn't, shouldn't care.
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca

Return to Feedback and Suggestions