ImageImageImageImageImage

Giambi to the Angels?

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Jitpal
General Manager
And1: 0

Giambi to the Angels? 

Post#1 » by Jitpal » Tue May 22, 2007 4:58 pm

Interesting. I wonder what the deal "the Yankees would have to listen to seriously" is. If it involves any one of their young arms or Ervin Santana where would I sign. -Jitpal

Edit: I could see Giambi waiving his NTC. He is from the area. The playoff chances for the Yanks look bleak but the Angels seem to be right there in the race and adding Giambi could tip them over. Artie Moreno seems to be talking about wanting to spend money to bring in some big bats, perhaps he might be willing to give Giambi a contract extension or pick up that 22 million option at the end of his deal which the Yanks surely would not. My only concern would be us losing a lot of pop in the middle of our lineup. The obvious thing to do would be to DH one of the three outfielders pretty much everyday and putting Melky out there. -Jitpal
Abraham Lincoln
Banned User

Post#2 » by Abraham Lincoln » Tue May 22, 2007 5:14 pm

Sounds good. We have to sart unloading these guys for prospects. That's the only way we'll return to prominence.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#3 » by 34Celtic » Tue May 22, 2007 5:23 pm

After Arod....Giambi is the only hitter in our lineup who can carry a team for a long period of time. We would need to get another run producer in return
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#4 » by Jitpal » Tue May 22, 2007 5:35 pm

34Celtic wrote:After Arod....Giambi is the only hitter in our lineup who can carry a team for a long period of time. We would need to get another run producer in return

Yeah that is the obvious problem with the deal but after Vlad(whom I doubt they deal) they don't have any run producers unless you consider Gary Matthews Jr. a run producer. However, why would we want him, not counting the contract. -Jitpal
throwbackewing33
Starter
And1: 131

Post#5 » by throwbackewing33 » Tue May 22, 2007 5:42 pm

Giambi is the only guy to come out and apologize, why should he be punished?? Not to mention we need his bat! we are not out of the playoffs yet, its only May 22. We need Giambi to help us get to the playoffs this year. After trading sheff we dont need to do this. If we had Sheff I say go ahead.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#6 » by 34Celtic » Tue May 22, 2007 5:43 pm

Jitpal wrote:Yeah that is the obvious problem with the deal but after Vlad(whom I doubt they deal)
Doubt?
Jitpal wrote:they don't have any run producers unless you consider Gary Matthews Jr. a run producer. However, why would we want him, not counting the contract. -Jitpal
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :nonono:
throwbackewing33
Starter
And1: 131

Post#7 » by throwbackewing33 » Tue May 22, 2007 5:50 pm

I think this wiretap is ridiculous. Of course teams would be iinterested in Jason. Cashman would be insane to trade away Giambi's bat in the middle of the season.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#8 » by 34Celtic » Tue May 22, 2007 6:03 pm

throwbackewing33 wrote:I think this wiretap is ridiculous. Of course teams would be iinterested in Jason. Cashman would be insane to trade away Giambi's bat in the middle of the season.
Absolutly insane, you see that ball he hit last night???? He stronnnggggg :lift:
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#9 » by cmaff051 » Tue May 22, 2007 7:32 pm

I would only trade Giambi if we got some big-time prospects back. This ain't gonna be no salary dump. Giambi can still put up .950 OPS and we need him. If Stoneman wants to spice up the deal, that's fine, but Figgins and Molina ain't cutting it..
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#10 » by Jitpal » Tue May 22, 2007 8:15 pm

cmaff051 wrote:I would only trade Giambi if we got some big-time prospects back. This ain't gonna be no salary dump. Giambi can still put up .950 OPS and we need him. If Stoneman wants to spice up the deal, that's fine, but Figgins and Molina ain't cutting it..

Not for Figgins and Molina. Figgins can't seem to stay healthy at all in recent years. Molina has power but horrible and I mean horrible at everything else. He is also probably the slowest player in the majors. I would start with Ervin Santana whose value is pretty low right now as he is pitching much worse than expected. After that I would like a nice position player like Casey Kotchman or Jeff Mathis. If we could get something like that, I would be interested in doing the deal. -Jitpal
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#11 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Tue May 22, 2007 9:53 pm

Unless the Angels are about to give up a few top notch position prospects we should keep away from this deal. Nothing is going to come from the recent investigations on Jason and he is a great bat in the lineup despite his atrocious contract. Aside from Posada and Arod, who is going to put us ahead late in a game with a big HR? Jason always seems to come up with a few big HRs late in games especially in big games.

Going back to the beginning of this thread, stop saying our playoff chances are bleak! Our rotation is setting up to nice and deep and not to mention dominant. Once Hughes and Clemens get here, we have Clip and Desalvo to back these guys up. The bats seem to be coming out of hibernation. Things are looking up for the moment. Enough with the bleakness and the negativity. Sooner or later the Sawx are gonna hear the footsteps.
"It's just like the feminists. They want everything equal but when the check comes, where are they?"- George Costanza
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#12 » by Jitpal » Tue May 22, 2007 10:02 pm

ReggieFULLeffect wrote:Unless the Angels are about to give up a few top notch position prospects we should keep away from this deal. Nothing is going to come from the recent investigations on Jason and he is a great bat in the lineup despite his atrocious contract. Aside from Posada and Arod, who is going to put us ahead late in a game with a big HR? Jason always seems to come up with a few big HRs late in games especially in big games.

Going back to the beginning of this thread, stop saying our playoff chances are bleak! Our rotation is setting up to nice and deep and not to mention dominant. Once Hughes and Clemens get here, we have Clip and Desalvo to back these guys up. The bats seem to be coming out of hibernation. Things are looking up for the moment. Enough with the bleakness and the negativity. Sooner or later the Sawx are gonna hear the footsteps.

I'm pretty optimistic and I've even said before we aren't out of this. However, our chances are bleak compared to the Angels who have the best team in their division. I think we have a shot but it is going to be a tough battle and we will need a little luck. -Jitpal
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#13 » by HCYanks » Tue May 22, 2007 11:49 pm

I want no part of an Ervin Santana-centered deal. The dude's been in the majors for over 2 years now and has shown no signs of improvement. Not every good prospect pans out.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#14 » by NYKnSTILL! » Wed May 23, 2007 3:13 am

HCYanks wrote:I want no part of an Ervin Santana-centered deal. The dude's been in the majors for over 2 years now and has shown no signs of improvement. Not every good prospect pans out.

Speak for yourself Ervin Santana would be a good trade chip and he has the # 1 or 2 type arm.

On Giambi going to LAA

34Celtic
Analyst

Post#15 » by 34Celtic » Wed May 23, 2007 12:41 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Speak for yourself Ervin Santana would be a good trade chip and he has the # 1 or 2 type arm.

On Giambi going to LAA

(picture)

Not a very good idea, I don't understand why you guys want to keep stockpiling arms when we have proved this year we clearly have enough in AAA with Hughes Karstens Rasner Clippard Desalvo Wright and then with Ohlendorf and the other guys you always bring up in the minor league thread. In case you didn't realize we can only have 5 starters in the majors at once, like the Lowry trade....where would Santana fit in? He'd be coming out of our bullpen and I'm sorry but you can't trade Giambi for a bullpen arm. He's too important to our lineup.

NYKnstill....stop getting down on players over little slumps. please
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#16 » by NYKnSTILL! » Wed May 23, 2007 1:06 pm

34Celtic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Not a very good idea, I don't understand why you guys want to keep stockpiling arms when we have proved this year we clearly have enough in AAA with Hughes Karstens Rasner Clippard Desalvo Wright and then with Ohlendorf and the other guys you always bring up in the minor league thread. In case you didn't realize we can only have 5 starters in the majors at once, like the Lowry trade....where would Santana fit in? He'd be coming out of our bullpen and I'm sorry but you can't trade Giambi for a bullpen arm. He's too important to our lineup.

NYKnstill....stop getting down on players over little slumps. please

B34 stop kissing these players asses they have not done a thing

Mussina has been horrible this season
Giambi has not been anything close to what he was suppose to be
07:$21M
08:$21M
09:$22M club option ($5M buyout)

what's there to discuss you do it especially if Artie Moreno picks up his salary, Jason can't play 1b, we have to use 3 1B because of him. Stop seeing something that is not there when Jason doesn't homer or double he is a liability on the bases.

So you mean to tell me if I'm Artie Moreno and I tell you I'll pick up Giambi and his contractyou'd say no ?
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#17 » by 34Celtic » Wed May 23, 2007 1:23 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:what's there to discuss you do it especially if Artie Moreno picks up his salary, Jason can't play 1b, we have to use 3 1B because of him. Stop seeing something that is not there when Jason doesn't homer or double he is a liability on the bases.

So you mean to tell me if I'm Artie Moreno and I tell you I'll pick up Giambi and his contractyou'd say no ?

Who is going to DH for us. Josh freeking Phelps?
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#18 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Wed May 23, 2007 1:28 pm

I will agree that Mussina has been awful. I had a dream last night (no joke) that they traded Moose and I think Abreu for Nick Markakis and Chris Ray and I was pretty pleased until I woke up. I was almost worse than the time I was b*nging Adriana Lima and then I woke up and shook my fist at the sky.

I'm not ready to give up on Giambi and especially not ready to have Phelps start. I like him off the bench and as an occasional starter but he isn't an everyday player.

"It's just like the feminists. They want everything equal but when the check comes, where are they?"- George Costanza
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#19 » by 34Celtic » Wed May 23, 2007 1:36 pm

ReggieFULLeffect wrote:I'm not ready to give up on Giambi and especially not ready to have Phelps start. I like him off the bench and as an occasional starter but he isn't an everyday player.

Exactly, and he can, in no way, shape, or form, even give us half of what Giambi can over the course of a full season. So all you Santana lovers keep dreaming because Ervin, even with Mcpherson, Napoli, or whoever is not enough to get this done.
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#20 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Wed May 23, 2007 3:17 pm

Exactly, and he can, in no way, shape, or form, even give us half of what Giambi can over the course of a full season. So all you Santana lovers keep dreaming because Ervin, even with Mcpherson, Napoli, or whoever is not enough to get this done.

I wouldn't even want any one those dudes. The ONLY way I back a deal to the angels is if there is a good bullpen arm like Shields (though highly unlikely) and one or two position prospects with a good amount of potential. Figgins and Molina??? Trade away a starting DH with power and the ability to hit under pressure for two backups? WTF!

Return to New York Yankees