All Advertising Questions

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
User avatar
BKlutch
General Manager
Posts: 9,436
And1: 5,648
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
Location: Jamaica, NY
     

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#341 » by BKlutch » Wed Jul 4, 2018 6:58 pm

I'm forced to use an ad blocker. I didn't want to block all your ads - I love the site and want you to make money and thrive. But these malicious ads seem to attack us, and overwhelm the browser tab. This can't be something you want, so I eagerly await the fix. Thanks!
.
.
--------------------
The Killa Knickzzz.
User avatar
DanoMac
General Manager
Posts: 8,795
And1: 2,305
Joined: Feb 20, 2005
     

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#342 » by DanoMac » Thu Jul 5, 2018 6:16 pm

RealGM is literally unviewable on my iPhone because of the Amazon Gift Card thing. Inexcusable.
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1,678
And1: 127
Joined: Sep 17, 2004
Location: RealGM
Contact:

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#343 » by CR Reina » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:52 pm

DanoMac wrote:RealGM is literally unviewable on my iPhone because of the Amazon Gift Card thing. Inexcusable.


This issue has been resolved. Please see my reply on the Forum Bugs, Account Issues and App Issues thread for a full update. viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1253356&p=67418162#p67418162
W_HAMILTON
RealGM
Posts: 13,291
And1: 9,411
Joined: Jun 13, 2004
 

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#344 » by W_HAMILTON » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:59 pm

I've never used an ad blocker, and did my best not to use one even though people have said that would clear up my issues with this website -- I too want to help support this forum -- but it's just gotten too terrible. It literally is unusable at times, and it constantly locks up my computer if I spent too long on one page or try to open up additional tabs to respond to various posts. I just installed "AdBlock Plus" and it seems to have immediately solved my problems with this forum.

Another forum I visit has a sort of "membership" program where you can donate to the website -- whatever amount you want, there is no set or required amount -- and it will remove ads from your account for one year. I don't see why this website can't institute the same sort of thing. I'd gladly donate -- I think I usually donate $10 to the other website -- to remove these intrusive ads for a year. I'm sure lots of others would as well. I appreciate this website and have been a poster for years, but without an ad blocker, it has simply become unusable. Hopefully the creators of this forum will either fix the problems with their ads or implement a system like I mentioned.
User avatar
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 56,066
And1: 10,967
Joined: Feb 20, 2001
Location: Longwood, Florida
Contact:
       

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#345 » by Howard Mass » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:16 am

W_HAMILTON wrote:I've never used an ad blocker, and did my best not to use one even though people have said that would clear up my issues with this website -- I too want to help support this forum -- but it's just gotten too terrible. It literally is unusable at times, and it constantly locks up my computer if I spent too long on one page or try to open up additional tabs to respond to various posts. I just installed "AdBlock Plus" and it seems to have immediately solved my problems with this forum.

Another forum I visit has a sort of "membership" program where you can donate to the website -- whatever amount you want, there is no set or required amount -- and it will remove ads from your account for one year. I don't see why this website can't institute the same sort of thing. I'd gladly donate -- I think I usually donate $10 to the other website -- to remove these intrusive ads for a year. I'm sure lots of others would as well. I appreciate this website and have been a poster for years, but without an ad blocker, it has simply become unusable. Hopefully the creators of this forum will either fix the problems with their ads or implement a system like I mentioned.


I doubt we will ever go to a membership model for various reasons.

We are working to fix the issues and will continue to do so.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
W_HAMILTON
RealGM
Posts: 13,291
And1: 9,411
Joined: Jun 13, 2004
 

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#346 » by W_HAMILTON » Tue Aug 7, 2018 4:27 pm

Howard Mass wrote:I doubt we will ever go to a membership model for various reasons.

We are working to fix the issues and will continue to do so.


It's not a "membership" model per se -- everyone would still have the same access they do now, except those that "donate" to the website would have all ads removed for the year.
User avatar
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 56,066
And1: 10,967
Joined: Feb 20, 2001
Location: Longwood, Florida
Contact:
       

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#347 » by Howard Mass » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 pm

W_HAMILTON wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:I doubt we will ever go to a membership model for various reasons.

We are working to fix the issues and will continue to do so.


It's not a "membership" model per se -- everyone would still have the same access they do now, except those that "donate" to the website would have all ads removed for the year.


There are other reasons though too.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
stevenDXM
Sophomore
Posts: 194
And1: 21
Joined: Jul 04, 2008
Contact:

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#348 » by stevenDXM » Sun Sep 2, 2018 3:11 am

Personally, on Chrome on Android, this site is the worst site I still want to visit. You have to close two ads on each page and the ads close more slowly than the website so you have to wait for the full screen ad to close the ad at the top of the page to scroll down and continue reading content.

This sort of thing is a major turn off and when I'm thinking about coming to this site I usually just go to r/nba instead because I don't want to deal with the ads even though I like the content here more.

Sent from my SM-N910P using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Dennis 37
Head Coach
Posts: 7,492
And1: 10,153
Joined: Feb 24, 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#349 » by Dennis 37 » Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:39 pm

BKlutch wrote:I'm forced to use an ad blocker. I didn't want to block all your ads - I love the site and want you to make money and thrive. But these malicious ads seem to attack us, and overwhelm the browser tab. This can't be something you want, so I eagerly await the fix. Thanks!


I don't want to use an ad blocker on your site either. I thought if I clicked the Portugal ad, the ad would disappear, but no, the ad remains, I can't pause the embedded video, and as a result will never, ever, visit Portugal.
Ignat Erit
Ballboy
Posts: 9
And1: 4
Joined: Mar 12, 2019

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#350 » by Ignat Erit » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:17 pm

For some reason I thought completely differently.
SFrush
Rookie
Posts: 1,138
And1: 578
Joined: Jan 13, 2016
       

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#351 » by SFrush » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:45 pm

Anyone else seeing this new athletic ad above the wiretap?
User avatar
john248
Starter
Posts: 2,364
And1: 650
Joined: Jul 06, 2010
 

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#352 » by john248 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:01 pm

Didn't mind the ads before. But now that they put out sound and make noise. Incredibly annoying.
The Last Word
Swift21
General Manager
Posts: 7,928
And1: 154
Joined: Jan 05, 2004

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#353 » by Swift21 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:15 am

SFrush wrote:Anyone else seeing this new athletic ad above the wiretap?


yep

Return to Feedback and Suggestions