Minor League Expansion/Defection Thread

Moderator: jman3134

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Minor League Expansion/Defection Thread 

Post#1 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:58 pm

Here is where you can post the given league and the team either coming or leaving that league. This is also a place for discussion, so you can talk about the different teams.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Minor League Expansion/Defection Thread 

Post#2 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Three ABA expansion franchises......

The American Basketball Association (ABA) today announced that it is adding a second team to Detroit for the upcoming season. The Detroit Zafir, a team composed of primarily Middle Eastern players was previously announced. According to Joe Newman, ABA CEO, "Detroit is a great basketball city. What we were looking for is an ownership group with strong community ties, good marketing and promotional skills, and an extensive background in basketball. We've found the combination in Gerald Watson and Giovanni Johnson. They are truly a dynamic duo and it should be fun watching them put their organization and team together."
Gerald Watson is currently the President and CEO of Rhythm N Soul.com, an online radio station and Urban News, Sports and Entertainment web site. He specializes in marketing. Before launching Rhythm N Soul.com, he was very successful with Clear Channel Radio with WMXD MIX 92.3 and WJLB FM98 and is the former owner of "Snook's Off the River," a top supper club in Detroit.

The co-owner if Giovanni Johnson, a Detroit businessman, who is currently the owner of a professional basketball team in Mexico, but has been involved with basketball in Detroit for many years. "We have a tremendous amount of talent here, and I'd like to give the players a chance at professional ball. The ABA is a great opportunity for them," said Johnson.

"Drug prevention is very important to me," added Watson. "Already we have partnered with the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD) to target programs at local Detroit schools to the youth on drug prevention. My passion for the community is very strong; in fact, I will become a candidate for the Detroit City Council in 2009. Our team will be a winner on and off the court." For more information,

http://www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3658324

The American Basketball Association (ABA) today announced that the Los Angeles Push would return to the ABA this season. According to Joe Newman, ABA CEO, "The Push started last season and were unable to continue due to some internal problems that have been completely resolved; this is an organization that certainly deserves to be in the ABA and which will represent the City of Los Angeles well."
The owners, Donye' Mitchell has been an avid basketball enthusiast his whole life. He grew up in Compton, CA where he fell in love with basketball. He has enjoyed playing with three generations of street basketball players at Venice Beach. His competitiveness and defense on the court has rewarded him with a reputation of passion and fierceness. After coming back from law school, Mitchell saw an opportunity to organize street basketball and his real passion began.

His plans included a streetball labor union, streetball player owned corporation, media rights protection for all of the "movies" created by streetball players, and eventually the opportunity to excel in a formal basketball setting. In 2005 Mitchell created a television show called Ballin'. It was a huge success. It brought local street basketball players together and showcased street basketball talent and uncovered its culture while crowning a Los Angeles ballin' champion.

In 2006 Mitchell created the format for a nationwide Push basketball streetball league with emphasis on an anger management. The Push league is forming teams now for the 2009 season which begins in June 2009.

In 2007 Mitchell was awarded an ABA team, the Los Angeles Push. He assembled one of the most talented teams in the league, but unfortunately, internal issues forced the team to shut down its operations. The new Los Angeles Push team will return for the 2008 season stronger than ever.

In 3008, Mitchell will celebrate street basketball at Venice Beach on Sunday, July 13th. He will be filming the second season of his hit series, "Ballin", and his new show, "Streetball Reality." Both TV shows will air on KVMD, Channel 23 this fall 2008 on Mitchell's own streetball network. He also has plans for extablishing a street basketball museum at Venice Beach in the fall of 2008. Open tryouts will begin for the ABA Los Angeles Push on July 13th also.

He has been a pioneer his whole life. He created a line of pre-natal waters for expecting mothers called 9 Beverage that will be in stores in early 2009. He also owns 1600 domain names and plans the next beverage to be a formula water beverage for street basketball players. The team is currently in negotiations with three venues in LA for the upcoming season. "I am excited about returning to the ABA and I promise to bring even more talent than before," said Mitchell. "And I am very thankful to the ABA for giving the Push another opportunity. We will not let them down and will represent this great league well." For more information, call 831 776 3797 or email mdonye@hotmail.com or visit www.abalive.com.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3660571

The American Basketball Association (ABA) today announced that it will return to Kansas City, Missouri this season under new ownership. According to Joe Newman, ABA CEO, "We have been waiting for the right ownership to return to KC. And we've found him in Kansas City native Milton Thomas. Kansas City has a great ABA heritage and we believe that Milton can bring it back with gusto."
Thomas began playing basketball at a very young age. He was a high school athlete playing with AAU teams traveling through the US and is associated with many well-known D-1 players and professional players from the Kansas City area. He played basketball for a Missouri college before becoming ill and suffering from two strokes at the young age of 19.

Since his recovery, he has shown his unrelenting determination and potential for change and success. At age 22, Milton began his path to entrepreneurship by starting his own mortgage and construction company where he succeeded as a leader and professional with success in managing multi-million dollar mortgages, home equity and investment product operations. As a mortgage broker, he has successfully used innovative solutions with critical thinking as a negotiator who can apply extensive knowledge of industry to growth opportunities. He and his dedicated crew of skilled professionals have rehabbed homes in Kansas City area and provided affordable housing for individuals as well. Milton has also played part in rehabbing several multi-unit properties and obtained certification for the state of Missouri as well. Serving as a business consultant for over five years, he has aided other entrepreneurs in establishing businesses, building clientele, creating marketing materials and developing effective sales strategies.

As an active role model in his community, Thomas has assisted in hosting several events in Kansas City and aided the youth to learn new skills and find new opportunities through his own company. He has exceptional communication skills and decision-making that has enabled him to become a positive force in the city and is determined to make a difference to those in need.

Currently, at age 29, he resides in Kansas City where he continues to uphold his standards of diligence, success and leadership. Continually seeking new opportunities to make contributions to the community and changing lives of every person he comes into contact with. "Being a part of the ABA is an exciting opportunity and a great challenge. I am really looking forward to both and will give this 100% to make our team one of the best in this terrific league," stated Thomas. "George Sheehan said, Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be. I think Mr. Sheehan was talking about me." For more information, email milton_thomas08@yahoo.com or call 816 665 0328 or visit www.abalive.com. More announcements and details coming soon.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3662108

My thoughts: A second team to Detroit? Could they even handle a first team? The saga of allowing franchises no matter where they are located and how smart it is for business, continues.... Newman is basically hurting ownership of Zafir because they will have to compete with another team for fans. From what I know, Detroit has not been that successful in the past anyway. And, the Zafir is a team of Middle Eastern talent- this may not exactly translate to more fans if the local talent is going to another Detroit team. Newman better schedule a lot of head to head matchups to make up for this poor business move.

I am not sure on whether or not Los Angeles will be a successful venue after they folded before. (probably due to financial issues as opposed to internal difficulties) It is good to hear of such a basketball entrepreuner who is creating television shows and putting forth a solid product. I believe that the ABA could be an excellent league to showcase this talent. In LA, I am sure that they will draw some fans because streetball always draws a crowd. However, some of the flash will not be allowed due to structured rules, which are loose to say the least. If any league was to harness a streetball team, it would be the ABA with its unique set of rules.

Mr. Thomas sounds like a good guy, but I'm not sure if he knows what he is getting himself into. The USBL was not really that successful in Kansas city, and I'm not sure that the ABA can succeed there during college basketball season. Even the best marketing strategists have failed in the minor league basketball market, so I am not certain whether Martin will be an exception, especially in the Kansas City venue.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by jman3134 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:30 am

Premier league added the Toronto Lazers for this season....

http://www.pblproball.net/news/?p=162
Cuban_KILLS_us
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Cuban_KILLS_us » Fri Aug 7, 2009 11:44 am

jman3134 wrote:Premier league added the Toronto Lazers for this season....

http://www.pblproball.net/news/?p=162

http://www.pblproball.com/ has no mention of them. They must have failed or something.

Return to Minor Leagues