Lakers Are Infatuated With Idea Of Hiring JJ Redick

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Re: Lakers Are Infatuated With Idea Of Hiring JJ Redick 

Post#21 » by GoSixersBro » Tue May 21, 2024 8:03 pm

They are twerking for LeBron and he's still gonna leave.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
pushfloater
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#22 » by pushfloater » Tue May 21, 2024 8:22 pm

I hate them hiring these former players with no experience. Steve Nash ruined the Nets. Nobody can convince me otherwise. Steve Kerr worked out, but how many coaches could have succeeded with that roster?
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 145

Post#23 » by haste10176 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:56 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:
njknicks wrote:Why would one of the leagues most storied franchises be infatuated in hiring a coach with ZERO coaching experience?

Pat Riley didn't have coaching experience and they think he's the next Pat. Not saying I agree with it..but he'll be better than Darvin Ham. And everyone knows the Lakers do not like to pay Head Coaches a lot.

1) If JJ is hired by the Lakers he will be well compensated.
2) The Lakers really need a coach that will play "yes man" to Lebron and coach everyone else. Experienced coaches expect players to do what is asked of them. There isn't a coach, alive or dead, that Lebron doesn't believe he's smarter than. The solution: Hire a coach that also believes Lebron is smarter than them. JJ is perfect.

Lebron wanted ty lue lakers cheaped out he is seen as one of the best coaches in the league.. Walton was terrible period ham sucked and yes vogel been scapegoated from two jobs and is a decent coach not a great one.. id hire terry stotts a good coach who overperformed with a lesser roster
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 207

Post#24 » by puja21 » Tue May 21, 2024 9:21 pm

pushfloater wrote:I hate them hiring these former players with no experience. Steve Nash ruined the Nets. Nobody can convince me otherwise. Steve Kerr worked out, but how many coaches could have succeeded with that roster?

Doc Rivers won COTY with no talent in Orlando, coming down out of the booth with no coaching experience.

RE: Steve Kerr

I will never understand the "everyone could've succeeded" argument.

If it was so easy for Kerr why didn't Mark Jackson win? Remember, Jackson also had no experience.

How many preseason favorites don't win rings?

Doug Collins could only get to the 6 seed with Jordan, Pippen, Grant, Cartwright, Paxson, Hodges, Sam Vincent, Perdue.
Essentially the same roster that mopped the floor with MVP Magic + Worthy + Divac + BScott + Perkins + Elden Campbell + AC Green.
But Collins' Bulls finished behind the Del Harris Bucks who started Larry Krystkowiak all season and lost Moncrief for 2 months to injury.

JKidd barely made the playoffs with Deron Williams (age 29) Joe Johnson (age 32) Shaun LIvingston (28) and plenty of solid vets (Pierce, KG, AK47) adn 20 games from Brook Lopez and half a season of Terry. They finished 4 games behind the Bulls, who were missing DRose and started 33 yo Mike Dunleavy.

Vogel just got swept out with KD/Booker/Beal on his roster.
Prestige
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,217
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#25 » by Prestige » Tue May 21, 2024 9:55 pm

Jeanie is infatuated with him. I wonder why.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,887

Post#26 » by madmaxmedia » Tue May 21, 2024 10:16 pm

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:I'm sure a podcaster will fix that team...

Maybe they could sign Podcast Paul to be player-coach and kill two birds with one stone.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,236

Post#27 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue May 21, 2024 10:21 pm

haste10176 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:
Pat Riley didn't have coaching experience and they think he's the next Pat. Not saying I agree with it..but he'll be better than Darvin Ham. And everyone knows the Lakers do not like to pay Head Coaches a lot.

1) If JJ is hired by the Lakers he will be well compensated.
2) The Lakers really need a coach that will play "yes man" to Lebron and coach everyone else. Experienced coaches expect players to do what is asked of them. There isn't a coach, alive or dead, that Lebron doesn't believe he's smarter than. The solution: Hire a coach that also believes Lebron is smarter than them. JJ is perfect.

Lebron wanted ty lue lakers cheaped out he is seen as one of the best coaches in the league.. Walton was terrible period ham sucked and yes vogel been scapegoated from two jobs and is a decent coach not a great one.. id hire terry stotts a good coach who overperformed with a lesser roster

Ty Lue is the most overrated coach in the NBA and is currently sitting on a beach somewhere... Lebron wanted Lue specifically because he had a history of acquiescing to Lebron. Lebron made him.

That said, it doesn't really matter who coaches a flawed roster.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,682

Post#28 » by DimesandKnicks » Wed May 22, 2024 12:49 am

Lakers job has more turnover than the Defense Against The Dark Arts position at Hogwarts; stay away
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 385

Post#29 » by Elnegron » Wed May 22, 2024 3:01 am

Ok hire him then amd stop announcing how infatuated you are
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,134

Post#30 » by dougthonus » Wed May 22, 2024 1:48 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:Ty Lue is the most overrated coach in the NBA and is currently sitting on a beach somewhere... Lebron wanted Lue specifically because he had a history of acquiescing to Lebron. Lebron made him.

:dontknow:

Ty Lue seems like he's done better with the Clippers generally than I would expect given their injury situations and the Cavs definitely turned around when he got put in charge and won a title. I think it's hard to gauge a head coach because so much of what they do that is really critical is really hidden from public eye, but my gut is that Ty Lue is a really good coach.

Not sure what percentage of coaching is your team believes in you, plays hard for you, and does what you say, but it's probably like 85%-90% and Ty Lue would appear to check those boxes while nearly 100% of fans complaints about coaches are around the remaining 10-15% of stuff.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#31 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed May 22, 2024 9:00 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Ty Lue is the most overrated coach in the NBA and is currently sitting on a beach somewhere... Lebron wanted Lue specifically because he had a history of acquiescing to Lebron. Lebron made him.

:dontknow:

Ty Lue seems like he's done better with the Clippers generally than I would expect given their injury situations and the Cavs definitely turned around when he got put in charge and won a title. I think it's hard to gauge a head coach because so much of what they do that is really critical is really hidden from public eye, but my gut is that Ty Lue is a really good coach.

Not sure what percentage of coaching is your team believes in you, plays hard for you, and does what you say, but it's probably like 85%-90% and Ty Lue would appear to check those boxes while nearly 100% of fans complaints about coaches are around the remaining 10-15% of stuff.

Well, the Cavs "turned it around" because Lebron had been pouting, refusing to run the sets that Blatt was asking him to run. He was player tanking at a time when he was clearly the most dominant player in the NBA. Lebron lobbied for Lue and Lue came in and said "yes, well do it your way." Lebron went from not trying to giving 110%. They won the title for two reasons. The East was weeeaak and GSW imploded. That doesn't take anything away from the Cavs, but it is what happened.

In LAC Lue has been dealing with a stacked roster with the 2nd highest payroll in the NBA. They are so stacked that they should be a top 10 team without Kawhi... and he was just out-coached by Jason effing Kidd!

Exibit A: (and the only exhibit because I don't want to waste any more of my morning talking about Tyronne Lue.)

PJ Tucker: One of these things are true.

Either: PJ's washed and Lue was right to sit him for half the season. (Obviously a move that affected PJ's confidence as well as his familiarity with his new team.) If that is the case then suddenly playing him in game 5 was pretty desperate. He was -10 in 10 minutes. And with that result in mind he STARTED PJ in game 6, which goes beyond desperate and encroaches on absolutely nuts. (He was -14 in 20 minutes)

Or: PJ has a lot left in the tank and Lue somehow didn't see it until it was too late. We both know that isn't the case, so why is he out there? Lue's inability to asses the roster and put each player in their best position to succeed is what makes him a bad coach... but yes, everyone does seem to like him.

I disagree with your assessment of what makes a good coach. A good coach does not need to be liked; a good coach needs to be respected while demanding that players run their sets and execute on both ends. They earn that respect by their teams having success with the sets they are running. Carlisle has IND playing way over their heads, but ask Luka or Rondo what they think of Carlisle. Lebron wanted Spoelstra out, so clearly he wasn't loved. It is likely Riley's unwillingness to bend that prompted Lebron's exit from MIA. If so, Riley made the right decision because Spoelstra is clearly a generational coach. We all know how Kawhi felt about Pop and how Deron Williams felt about Jerry Sloan. AI and Larry Brown were in a constant battle of wills. Great coaches are demanding and often unwavering.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#32 » by dougthonus » Wed May 22, 2024 9:53 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:Well, the Cavs "turned it around" because Lebron had been pouting, refusing to run the sets that Blatt was asking him to run. He was player tanking at a time when he was clearly the most dominant player in the NBA. Lebron lobbied for Lue and Lue came in and said "yes, well do it your way." Lebron went from not trying to giving 110%. They won the title for two reasons. The East was weeeaak and GSW imploded. That doesn't take anything away from the Cavs, but it is what happened.

I don't think this is necessarily wrong, but he still got in there and got it done, and LeBron begged for him for a reason and then stuck with him and wanted him back again. Getting the best out of LeBron seems like a pretty good thing to have in your back pocket as a coach, especially if the team in question is the team with LeBron on it like in this case (regardless of that is only due to something specific with LeBron and LeBron's desires and you wish LeBron would behave differently)

In LAC Lue has been dealing with a stacked roster with the 2nd highest payroll in the NBA. They are so stacked that they should be a top 10 team without Kawhi... and he was just out-coached by Jason effing Kidd!

Their roster is stacked on paper, but not in practicality. They've effectively never had a healthy roster and getting Kawhi, George, Harden, and Westbrook to even remotely mesh isn't a problem other people would be excited for given 3 out of the 4 of those guys (George being the exception) seem like guys with talent but also a lot of problems.

Exibit A: (and the only exhibit because I don't want to waste any more of my morning talking about Tyronne Lue.)

Either: PJ's washed and Lue was right to sit him for half the season. (Obviously a move that affected PJ's confidence as well as his familiarity with his new team.) If that is the case then suddenly playing him in game 5 was pretty desperate. He was -10 in 10 minutes. And with that result in mind he STARTED PJ in game 6, which goes beyond desperate and encroaches on absolutely nuts. (He was -14 in 20 minutes)

Or: PJ has a lot left in the tank and Lue somehow didn't see it until it was too late. We both know that isn't the case, so why is he out there? Lue's inability to asses the roster and put each player in their best position to succeed is what makes him a bad coach... but yes, everyone does seem to like him.

Here you are talking about the remaining small things which is the vast majority of all coaching complaints.

Coach used this rotation and it didn't work. I think he should have done this other thing that cannot be proven either way.

I will only use this method to evaluate things that did not work and will ignore all things that did work as things I'd have done anyway and the result is that "the coaches rotations suck". It's probably 95% of what fans complain about coaches, and while it may be correct sometimes, it's a more or less unwinnable argument for any coach.

I disagree with your assessment of what makes a good coach. A good coach does not need to be liked; a good coach needs to be respected while demanding that players run their sets and execute on both ends. They earn that respect by their teams having success with the sets they are running. Carlisle has IND playing way over their heads, but ask Luka or Rondo what they think of Carlisle. Lebron wanted Spoelstra out, so clearly he wasn't loved. It is likely Riley's unwillingness to bend that prompted Lebron's exit from MIA. If so, Riley made the right decision because Spoelstra is clearly a generational coach. We all know how Kawhi felt about Pop and how Deron Williams felt about Jerry Sloan. AI and Larry Brown were in a constant battle of wills. Great coaches are demanding and often unwavering.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you're saying, I didn't say a coach had to be loved. I said the players need to believe in him (the system, the sets), listen to him, and play hard for him. That seems more or less exactly what you just said, and I think Ty Lue does all those things.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#33 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed May 22, 2024 11:26 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Well, the Cavs "turned it around" because Lebron had been pouting, refusing to run the sets that Blatt was asking him to run. He was player tanking at a time when he was clearly the most dominant player in the NBA. Lebron lobbied for Lue and Lue came in and said "yes, well do it your way." Lebron went from not trying to giving 110%. They won the title for two reasons. The East was weeeaak and GSW imploded. That doesn't take anything away from the Cavs, but it is what happened.

I don't think this is necessarily wrong, but he still got in there and got it done, and LeBron begged for him for a reason and then stuck with him and wanted him back again. Getting the best out of LeBron seems like a pretty good thing to have in your back pocket as a coach, especially if the team in question is the team with LeBron on it like in this case (regardless of that is only due to something specific with LeBron and LeBron's desires and you wish LeBron would behave differently)

Their roster is stacked on paper, but not in practicality. They've effectively never had a healthy roster and getting Kawhi, George, Harden, and Westbrook to even remotely mesh isn't a problem other people would be excited for given 3 out of the 4 of those guys (George being the exception) seem like guys with talent but also a lot of problems.

Here you are talking about the remaining small things which is the vast majority of all coaching complaints.

Coach used this rotation and it didn't work. I think he should have done this other thing that cannot be proven either way.

I will only use this method to evaluate things that did not work and will ignore all things that did work as things I'd have done anyway and the result is that "the coaches rotations suck". It's probably 95% of what fans complain about coaches, and while it may be correct sometimes, it's a more or less unwinnable argument for any coach.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you're saying, I didn't say a coach had to be loved. I said the players need to believe in him (the system, the sets), listen to him, and play hard for him. That seems more or less exactly what you just said, and I think Ty Lue does all those things.

Yeah, I don't think Lue got the most out of Kyrie or Love, he just acquiesced to Lebron and was at the right place at the right time when GSW imploded. Kyrie wanted out and Love was marginalized, as all of Lebron's #3's seem to be. Lue was Lebron's personal yes man, so of course Lebron fought to put him in place and fought for him to get the LAL coaching job. If by "got the best out of Lebron" you mean that he got out of Lebron's way, then we agree.

The difference between stacked on paper and stacked in practicality is coaching. Unlike the Suns, LAC had stars and depth. If Lue was the coach in MIA they would have lost the play-in last season. They weren't stacked on paper or in practicality and they went to the finals.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#34 » by dougthonus » Wed May 22, 2024 11:31 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:Yeah, I don't think Lue got the most out of Kyrie or Love, he just acquiesced to Lebron and was at the right place at the right time when GSW imploded. Kyrie wanted out and Love was marginalized, as all of Lebron's #3's seem to be. Lue was Lebron's personal yes man, so of course Lebron fought to put him in place and fought for him to get the LAL coaching job. If by "got the best out of Lebron" you mean that he got out of Lebron's way, then we agree.

Kevin Love stunk the rest of his career. Not sure Kyrie has been meaningfully different in Cleveland vs out of Cleveland. He certainly had the most success in Cleveland and the least problems in Cleveland. Kyrie also wanted out of every other place he land in even less time after Cleveland, so I don't know that there is much of a case there.

The difference between stacked on paper and stacked in practicality is coaching. Unlike the Suns, LAC had stars and depth. If Lue was the coach in MIA they would have lost the play-in last season. They weren't stacked on paper or in practicality and they went to the finals.

Well in this case, the difference isn't coaching, it's that the players never stayed healthy and a lot of the "stacked" was name recognition and ill fitting parts.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#35 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu May 23, 2024 3:37 am

dougthonus wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Yeah, I don't think Lue got the most out of Kyrie or Love, he just acquiesced to Lebron and was at the right place at the right time when GSW imploded. Kyrie wanted out and Love was marginalized, as all of Lebron's #3's seem to be. Lue was Lebron's personal yes man, so of course Lebron fought to put him in place and fought for him to get the LAL coaching job. If by "got the best out of Lebron" you mean that he got out of Lebron's way, then we agree.

Kevin Love stunk the rest of his career. Not sure Kyrie has been meaningfully different in Cleveland vs out of Cleveland. He certainly had the most success in Cleveland and the least problems in Cleveland. Kyrie also wanted out of every other place he land in even less time after Cleveland, so I don't know that there is much of a case there.

Well in this case, the difference isn't coaching, it's that the players never stayed healthy and a lot of the "stacked" was name recognition and ill fitting parts.

Well, I meant that Lue didn't maximize Kyrie or Love that season. Love was often on the floor with four reserves. That was never the case with Lebron. That said, Love made the next two all-star teams. He didn't stink the rest of his career. He was averaging 18/10 four years later. He started 18 games in the playoffs last season, averaging 14/11 in 18 MPG... and his team went to the Finals. I wish I stank that bad!

Even without Kawhi LAC is stacked. An average coach would get more from them.

Return to Wiretap Discussion