Bronny James Receives Over 10 Workout Invites; Suns, Lakers Among Those He'll Accept

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 301

Bronny James Receives Over 10 Workout Invites; Suns, Lakers Among Those He'll Accept 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 24, 2024 5:43 pm

Bronny James will work out for the Phoenix Suns ahead of the NBA draft in June.

The Suns own the No. 22 pick in the draft and James is among the players under considerations at that draft slot.

James has received over 10 workout invitations, but is expected to only visit a few teams including the Suns and Los Angeles Lakers.

Rich Paul recently went on record that James will not sign a Two-Way deal coming out of the draft.

“Yes, that’s absolutely true,” Paul said when asked about the two-way deal. “Teams know that. I’m not doing that.”

Via Shams Charania, Doug Haller/The Athletic

Roy T
Rookie
And1: 988

Re: Bronny James Receives Over 10 Workout Invites; Suns, Lakers Among Those He'll Accept 

Post#2 » by Roy T » Fri May 24, 2024 6:09 pm

I wish him all the best.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,192

Re: Bronny James Receives Over 10 Workout Invites; Suns, Lakers Among Those He'll Accept 

Post#3 » by kalel123 » Fri May 24, 2024 6:44 pm

Didn't have an opinion on this guy one way or another before but must say, that's a huge warning sign for a guy that'd be lucky to be drafted even with his father's influence.
pushfloater
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#4 » by pushfloater » Fri May 24, 2024 6:49 pm

Lol.. why no 2-way? Smh setting him up for failure
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,830

Post#5 » by Lalouie » Fri May 24, 2024 6:59 pm

I WANNA SEE THAT LIST
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#6 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Fri May 24, 2024 7:07 pm

You almost died last year from a heart defect and then declare after avg 4 pts your freshman year and you are being selective over the visits you'll take? I don't get it at all. What fringe late second/2 way guys are turning down opportunities to show interested teams what they can do? This is weird.
EnriCela13
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#7 » by EnriCela13 » Fri May 24, 2024 7:41 pm

Sweet Meat Lew wrote:You almost died last year from a heart defect and then declare after avg 4 pts your freshman year and you are being selective over the visits you'll take? I don't get it at all. What fringe late second/2 way guys are turning down opportunities to show interested teams what they can do? This is weird.

He made 5 mil in NIL last year and his pops is a billionaire and he has the most powerful agent in the NBA. He wants to make sure he ends up in the best possible situation because what team you end up on is a lot more important than what number you’re drafted or if you’re drafted at all. He can afford to be selective.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 222

Post#8 » by puja21 » Fri May 24, 2024 7:57 pm

Sweet Meat Lew wrote:You almost died last year from a heart defect and then declare after avg 4 pts your freshman year and you are being selective over the visits you'll take? I don't get it at all. What fringe late second/2 way guys are turning down opportunities to show interested teams what they can do? This is weird.

Weird as in unusual, yes.

Different because his power doesn't come from analogous on-court results to what his peers have shown (at least not recently)

But he's still just leveraging whatever power is available to him, and that's not new in sports.

Many times the players' results are bad:
-Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams (USC) in the draft age challenge
-Le'Veon Bell with his holdout.

Other times it works:
-Lebron axing tons of coaches
-Kobe forcing his way out of Charlotte to LA
-Eli Manning, John Elway, Jim Kelly all refused to play for their top-suitor draft teams
-Jordan and Barkley both opting out of the NBA Players' Association to negotiate their own marketing deals
JustBuzzin
RealGM
And1: 8,986

Post#9 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 24, 2024 8:12 pm

Sweet Meat Lew calling this weird is hilarious. His father is in control.

CP3 is a good friend and probably the only player he would trust around his son. Guess who's a FA this off-season CP3! Put the pieces together. Lakers or Suns.
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore

Post#10 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Fri May 24, 2024 8:29 pm

puja21 wrote:

Different because his power doesn't come from analogous on-court results to what his peers have shown (at least not recently)

But he's still just leveraging whatever power is available to him, and that's not new in sports.

Other times it works:
-Eli Manning, John Elway, Jim Kelly all refused to play for their top-suitor draft teams
-Jordan and Barkley both opting out of the NBA Players' Association to negotiate their own marketing deals

That's the point. His only leverage is who his father is but he says he wants to establish his own name. He's not acting like that.
BigHustle
Rookie
And1: 159

Post#11 » by BigHustle » Fri May 24, 2024 8:40 pm

I would love to see Danny lock him up and offer a 2-way contract. Welcome to Utah kids, we have the best heart surgeons.

Maybe Detroit or Wash also, learn some good habits from Poole.
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore

Post#12 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Fri May 24, 2024 9:58 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:

CP3 is a good friend and probably the only player he would trust around his son. Guess who's a FA this off-season CP3! Put the pieces together. Lakers or Suns.

Suns don't have CP3 money...the only thing they have is a desperation for cheap talent.
JustBuzzin
RealGM
And1: 8,986

Post#13 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 24, 2024 10:04 pm

Sweet Meat Lew wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

Suns don't have CP3 money...the only thing they have is a desperation for cheap talent.

Whatever you say sweet meats. :lol:
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,815

Post#14 » by closg00 » Fri May 24, 2024 10:56 pm

Everyone involved with this should be embarrassed
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,409

Post#15 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat May 25, 2024 1:11 am

I doubt any teams are losing any sleep over Bronny James ducking them lol
stepic
Senior
And1: 407

Post#16 » by stepic » Sat May 25, 2024 1:12 am

It’s all about the LeBron factor
SlimD235
Assistant Coach
And1: 485

Post#17 » by SlimD235 » Sat May 25, 2024 1:39 am

JustBuzzin wrote:

Cp3 is on the warriors (at the moment)...not suns
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,268

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat May 25, 2024 7:46 pm

puja21 wrote:

Other times it works:

Honestly, I think he's been told that LAL will take him if he's available at 55. So why work out for a team that you don't want to go to if your fallback is acceptable. I mean, we're talking about a player that is unlikely to ever play a meaningful NBA minute unless it's mandated by Lebron or he's on a good team that has no depth, like PHX. If he gets picked up by a tanking team he will likely ride pine for a couple years and then bounce around the league on 10-days before bouncing out of the league all together. He has legitimate reasons to be selective.
Loisl
Veteran
And1: 224

Post#19 » by Loisl » Sun May 26, 2024 12:06 am

Would be funny if the Clippers drafted him. :lol:
R.I.P. Mags - :beer:
Once a Knick, always a Knick.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 627

Post#20 » by alienpick » Sun May 26, 2024 2:09 am

puja21 wrote:

Other times it works:

Kobe didn't force his way out of Charlotte, the Hornets took him so they could trade for Vivac.

Return to Wiretap Discussion