Re: Cavs Could Have Acquired Paul George Last June If LeBron James Committed Long-Term

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Cavs Could Have Acquired Paul George Last June If LeBron James Committed Long-Term 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:35 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers discussed a trade for Paul George last June that could have allowed them to keep Kyrie Irving in the process.

"Last summer, they could have acquired Paul George," said Adrian Wojnarowski on the Adam Schefter podcast. "I think Paul George wanted to know, 'if LeBron commits to some years going forward, then I might be willing to commit.'

"When LeBron wasn't willing to commit to an extension, that told me, they could have had Paul George without losing Kyrie. That's a very different team: Kyrie Irving, Paul George and LeBron James.

"When he wasn't ready to do that then, Cleveland was worried and rightly so."

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Re: Cavs Could Have Acquired Paul George Last June If LeBron James Committed Long-Term 

Post#2 » by Hoopzilla » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Further proof Lebron had no one to blame but himself this past season. The entire season was filled with people reacting to Lebron's inability to provide any stability to his franchise. Kyrie wanted out in part because he didn't want to get stuck with the mess Lebron made. Melo refused to waive his no-trade clause to go to Cleveland for the exact same reason as well. Now PG confirms the same issue, Lebron... :lol:
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#3 » by NBAFan93 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:44 pm

What trade were they going to do that didn’t include Kyrie? Had to be Love. So Cavs faced w/ giving up Love for a likely one year rental of PG and decided against it.

LeBron, Kyrie, PG-13...would have been enough to beat the Warriors? Not sure - and guess we’ll never know.

You also got to consider the whole Kyrie knee thing too. So probably would abve been Lebron and PG-13 as the only two stars.
SlimD235
Assistant Coach
And1: 483

Post#4 » by SlimD235 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:Further proof Lebron had no one to blame but himself this past season. The entire season was filled with people reacting to Lebron's inability to provide any stability to his franchise. Kyrie wanted out in part because he didn't want to get stuck with the mess Lebron made. Melo refused to waive his no-trade clause to go to Cleveland for the exact same reason as well. Now PG confirms the same issue, Lebron... :lol:

Well said
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#5 » by Revenged25 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:40 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:What trade were they going to do that didn’t include Kyrie? Had to be Love. So Cavs faced w/ giving up Love for a likely one year rental of PG and decided against it.

LeBron, Kyrie, PG-13...would have been enough to beat the Warriors? Not sure - and guess we’ll never know.

You also got to consider the whole Kyrie knee thing too. So probably would abve been Lebron and PG-13 as the only two stars.

Well the knee thing wasn't an issue with Boston, so it would've been fine for Cleveland.
Pantsman
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#6 » by Pantsman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:44 pm

Except the pacers backed out on it. Woj spinning stories again.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#7 » by gordoncatrell » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:44 pm

CLE FO.
LAL FO.
MIA FO.
LAC FO.
GSW FO.
all are saying - "reality check, BronInc. you dont RUN this league anymore"
FOs are breaking free from the Hostage 1+1 game.
the worm has turned.
NBAFan93
RealGM

Post#8 » by NBAFan93 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:What trade were they going to do that didn’t include Kyrie? Had to be Love. So Cavs faced w/ giving up Love for a likely one year rental of PG and decided against it.

Well the knee thing wasn't an issue with Boston, so it would've been fine for Cleveland.

I mean how Kyrie wouldn’t have been able to play this past season cause he needed surgery, not really his value. So it would have been LeBron and PG alone in the 2018 finals against the Warriors - no Kyrie cause he would have been hurt.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,947

Post#9 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:49 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:Further proof Lebron had no one to blame but himself this past season. The entire season was filled with people reacting to Lebron's inability to provide any stability to his franchise. Kyrie wanted out in part because he didn't want to get stuck with the mess Lebron made. Melo refused to waive his no-trade clause to go to Cleveland for the exact same reason as well. Now PG confirms the same issue, Lebron... :lol:

Yup, and this seemed why Kyrie wanted out. He was sick of this BS too.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#10 » by Revenged25 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:56 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I mean how Kyrie wouldn’t have been able to play this past season cause he needed surgery, not really his value. So it would have been LeBron and PG alone in the 2018 finals against the Warriors - no Kyrie cause he would have been hurt.

Why wouldn't Kyrie have been able to play this past season? I don't understand this hypothetical here since we know he was healthy. That's like saying, well what if LeBron and PG needed surgery and couldn't have played this past season, even though we just saw that they did.
NBAFan93
RealGM

Post#11 » by NBAFan93 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Why wouldn't Kyrie have been able to play this past season? I don't understand this hypothetical here since we know he was healthy. That's like saying, well what if LeBron and PG needed surgery and couldn't have played this past season, even though we just saw that they did.

There was talk about Kyrie saying he needed knee surgery in the 2017 offseason. Then he actually did need surgery cause he knee was sore. His injury wasn’t a sudden event where he got hurt, but a nagging problem that would have happened regardless of his team.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#12 » by Revenged25 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:

There was talk about Kyrie saying he needed knee surgery in the 2017 offseason. Then he actually did need surgery cause he knee was sore. His injury wasn’t a sudden event where he got hurt, but a nagging problem that would have happened regardless of his team.

The talk was him holding the idea of knee surgery and missing hte 2017 season if he wasn't traded because of the leak that his name was brought up in trade talks or whatever against the Cavs to force a trade. Had they traded for George the Cavs would've likely worked harder to fix the relationship and run Irving/PG/LeBron/TT/???. Also when did he end up having the surgery? Did it happen after he got hurt again in the playoffs and needed like facial surgery as well?
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,539

Post#13 » by dice » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:Further proof Lebron had no one to blame but himself this past season.

i'm sure he's fully aware that it would have been easier to add talent had he made a long-term commitment. it wasn't worth it to him

he still got to the finals. and none of the hypothetical trades that have been put out there would have given them a realistic shot against golden state

the paul george FA hype is so excessive
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,947

Post#14 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:24 pm

dice wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:Further proof Lebron had no one to blame but himself this past season.

i'm sure he's fully aware that it would have been easier to add talent had he made a long-term commitment. it wasn't worth it to him

he still got to the finals. and none of the hypothetical trades that have been put out there would have given them a realistic shot against golden state

GSW was vulnerable in game one, after the long series with the Rockets. PG + Kyrie, they take that game and instead of being mentally defeated, the Cavs have the momentum. And who knows what happens.

They certainly would have had a chance.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#15 » by gordoncatrell » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:35 pm

dice wrote:

Partial agree.
PG value has been in decline for 2 straight seasons. that's an unattractive trend line.

Partial disagree.
BronInc didnt want to give up his 1+1 leverage no matter who they get. so he's to blame for CLE inability to draw talent to join up.
Both sides are doing what's best for themselves. monday morning QBing.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#16 » by Hoopzilla » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 pm

dice wrote:

Just because "it wasn't worth it for him" to give his team and fans any stability doesn't detract from the fact that Lebron threw away an entire year because of his selfishness.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#17 » by Revenged25 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:
dice wrote:

Just because "it wasn't worth it for him" to give his team and fans any stability doesn't detract from the fact that Lebron threw away an entire year because of his selfishness.

Happened the first time around too. Several FA's said that they would've came to Cleveland on the MLE/vet min if LeBron had met with them and said that he was committed, but he didn't and they wouldn't. I think Ariza might've been one of them for some reason.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#18 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:13 pm

If they did a Love for PG13 trade Kyrie would be OK with the sonning?

Without Kyrie or Hill, they might lose to Boston.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#19 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Nutty Nats Fan wrote:
dice wrote:

GSW was vulnerable in game one, after the long series with the Rockets. PG + Kyrie, they take that game and instead of being mentally defeated, the Cavs have the momentum. And who knows what happens.

They certainly would have had a chance.

Dam refs, robbed us of an interesting finals.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#20 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Seems to me like LBJ wants to leave more than anything else.

And maybe that he didn't think adding PG or Melo would get them over the Dubs.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion