Raptors Interested In Trading For Jakob Poeltl

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

User avatar
G R E Y
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 22,872
And1: 19,509
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: Raptors Interested In Trading For Jakob Poeltl 

Post#21 » by G R E Y » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:38 pm

BlackThought wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
BlackThought wrote:
You're 15-26, nobody is really THAT important. Being an ex-Raptor I've been following Poetl since he left and I like that he's progressing but let's not fool ourselves here, he's not averaging a double double on any playoff team. At best he's either a low minute starter or a bench guy and shouldn't be played more than 25 min a game.

That said I think he's worth a lot more than Boucher but that's just how little I think of Boucher's value.

I think we were like 7-3 before half the team got hit with Covid. **** happens. But let's say we have a full team and still 15-26. The point still stands that we're in year one of a rebuild, we have assets we're developing, and it makes zero sense to trade them for Saikam, especially with Jakob going the other way. We have a losing record without him, we don't need him to score a bunch of points even as we've incorporated him into the O more and he's part of the young group in his first full year as starter (so lots to adjust to).

I don't know why there's such a rush to development by some teams, but it's never been the way Spurs have done it. Regardless of record, we're not skipping steps, and giving up assets for a now-player on a huge contract isn't what a year one rebuild is about.


dude, everyone's teams got hit with covid, your record is what it is. And the Raptors are not moving Siakam for Poetl, it doesn't make sense for both sides.

Frankly I don't think the Raps even need Poetl other than the occasional match up against lumbering bigs. Guys like Birch and Precious Achiuwa fits the modern game much better. I can see raps doing a package with Trent/boucher/pick(s) in a trade with another team and perhaps come back for a poetl trade with some pick(s) and salary filler and that's about it.

I'm not a dude (it's ok, you can't always tell in this medium, just clarifying). Yes, when there's a full team we were top 10 in O and top I think 14 on D. It makes a huge difference even as all teams get hit with it and by its impact. I was just making the point that record is not our main focus, development is as it's year one of our rebuild, and despite the record being what it is, we've shown good signs of progress (stunted by Covid).

Jakob doesn't actually do well against lumbering bigs as he's not that himself. He's very agile and an incredible defender. He's in his first year as starter, adjusting to a bigger role versus other starters and doing well overall (FT% notwithstanding). We need what he provides, it's why we acquired him with the long-term LMA leaving replacement in mind, and here we are.

If you're fine with PFs being your main bigs because of modern game (would you say Gobert who doesn't play a modern style has less of a place in today's game?) and you're fine with your rim protection, then there's no worries for either team as each has what they want going forward.
ImageImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
BlackThought
Sophomore
Posts: 222
And1: 161
Joined: Jul 19, 2010

Re: Raptors Interested In Trading For Jakob Poeltl 

Post#22 » by BlackThought » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:52 pm

G R E Y wrote:
BlackThought wrote:
G R E Y wrote:I think we were like 7-3 before half the team got hit with Covid. **** happens. But let's say we have a full team and still 15-26. The point still stands that we're in year one of a rebuild, we have assets we're developing, and it makes zero sense to trade them for Saikam, especially with Jakob going the other way. We have a losing record without him, we don't need him to score a bunch of points even as we've incorporated him into the O more and he's part of the young group in his first full year as starter (so lots to adjust to).

I don't know why there's such a rush to development by some teams, but it's never been the way Spurs have done it. Regardless of record, we're not skipping steps, and giving up assets for a now-player on a huge contract isn't what a year one rebuild is about.


dude, everyone's teams got hit with covid, your record is what it is. And the Raptors are not moving Siakam for Poetl, it doesn't make sense for both sides.

Frankly I don't think the Raps even need Poetl other than the occasional match up against lumbering bigs. Guys like Birch and Precious Achiuwa fits the modern game much better. I can see raps doing a package with Trent/boucher/pick(s) in a trade with another team and perhaps come back for a poetl trade with some pick(s) and salary filler and that's about it.

I'm not a dude (it's ok, you can't always tell in this medium, just clarifying). Yes, when there's a full team we were top 10 in O and top I think 14 on D. It makes a huge difference even as all teams get hit with it and by its impact. I was just making the point that record is not our main focus, development is as it's year one of our rebuild, and despite the record being what it is, we've shown good signs of progress (stunted by Covid).

Jakob doesn't actually do well against lumbering bigs as he's not that himself. He's very agile and an incredible defender. He's in his first year as starter, adjusting to a bigger role versus other starters and doing well overall (FT% notwithstanding). We need what he provides, it's why we acquired him with the long-term LMA leaving replacement in mind, and here we are.

If you're fine with PFs being your main bigs because of modern game (would you say Gobert who doesn't play a modern style has less of a place in today's game?) and you're fine with your rim protection, then there's no worries for either team as each has what they want going forward.


I know what Jakob does, we drafted him. He is best used against lumbering bigs if he's on our team right now because our other bigs are too small. That's the main reason why we are interested.

As for Gobert I'm not a fan. He's proven time and time again to be a point of weakness in the playoffs. He can put up numbers in the regular season but in the playoffs you simply can't play someone like him too many minutes and not expect the other team to exploit his weakness.
User avatar
G R E Y
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 22,872
And1: 19,509
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: Raptors Interested In Trading For Jakob Poeltl 

Post#23 » by G R E Y » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:59 pm

BlackThought wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
BlackThought wrote:
dude, everyone's teams got hit with covid, your record is what it is. And the Raptors are not moving Siakam for Poetl, it doesn't make sense for both sides.

Frankly I don't think the Raps even need Poetl other than the occasional match up against lumbering bigs. Guys like Birch and Precious Achiuwa fits the modern game much better. I can see raps doing a package with Trent/boucher/pick(s) in a trade with another team and perhaps come back for a poetl trade with some pick(s) and salary filler and that's about it.

I'm not a dude (it's ok, you can't always tell in this medium, just clarifying). Yes, when there's a full team we were top 10 in O and top I think 14 on D. It makes a huge difference even as all teams get hit with it and by its impact. I was just making the point that record is not our main focus, development is as it's year one of our rebuild, and despite the record being what it is, we've shown good signs of progress (stunted by Covid).

Jakob doesn't actually do well against lumbering bigs as he's not that himself. He's very agile and an incredible defender. He's in his first year as starter, adjusting to a bigger role versus other starters and doing well overall (FT% notwithstanding). We need what he provides, it's why we acquired him with the long-term LMA leaving replacement in mind, and here we are.

If you're fine with PFs being your main bigs because of modern game (would you say Gobert who doesn't play a modern style has less of a place in today's game?) and you're fine with your rim protection, then there's no worries for either team as each has what they want going forward.


I know what Jakob does, we drafted him. He is best used against lumbering bigs if he's on our team right now because our other bigs are too small. That's the main reason why we are interested.

As for Gobert I'm not a fan. He's proven time and time again to be a point of weakness in the playoffs. He can put up numbers in the regular season but in the playoffs you simply can't play someone like him too many minutes and not expect the other team to exploit his weakness.

I don't think you've watched Jakob since he's been with us. Drafting him and the player he is now aren't the same things. But ok, if he's more useful to us than to you as just a lumbering bigs defender, we're more than fine keeping him and sounds like you ought to be looking somewhere else for that specific role.
ImageImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
User avatar
imagump1313
Analyst
Posts: 3,011
And1: 1,744
Joined: Apr 27, 2013
Location: Behind You
       

Re: Raptors Interested In Trading For Jakob Poeltl 

Post#24 » by imagump1313 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:59 pm

I thought this news was pretty funny myself. The only reason Poeltl is mentioned is because he used to play for Toronto. This is the laziest news rumor take I have ever seen.
The Raptors would be really close to stupid to even be interested in whatever price it would take to get Poeltl back at this point. He has a cheap contract and can function as a defensive center in the NBA. No one is getting him for "filler" lol.

Here's another one since we are all believing lazy takes: Spurs are interested in re-acquiring Kawhi Leonard for a 2nd round pick......
User avatar
defstarcon
Junior
Posts: 276
And1: 160
Joined: Aug 08, 2010
Location: T.O.
Contact:
 

Re: Raptors Interested In Trading For Jakob Poeltl 

Post#25 » by defstarcon » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:10 am

Raptors have assets, expiring contract, picks, players. Biggest asset is an expiring contract with Goran.

Challenge is matching salary. hopefully Masai fleeces for a center eff
Image
Cassius
RealGM
Posts: 13,287
And1: 2,602
Joined: Aug 19, 2005
Location: We won.
     

Re: Raptors Interested In Trading For Jakob Poeltl 

Post#26 » by Cassius » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:54 am

G R E Y wrote:I don't think you've watched Jakob since he's been with us. Drafting him and the player he is now aren't the same things. But ok, if he's more useful to us than to you as just a lumbering bigs defender, we're more than fine keeping him and sounds like you ought to be looking somewhere else for that specific role.


Don't mind him. Raptors fans who watched know Jak actually struggles against power, but moves incredibly well in PnR defense on the perimeter while still being able to recover to the paint for weakside blocks and rebounds. He also runs the floor incredibly well, which is big for us, can pass and hits the offensive glass.

With Precious Achiuwa, we currently have a guy doing similar stuff defensively but five inches shorter, who is a better FT shooter but a complete adventure finishing from anywhere. The PPP for those two is probably similar, so having those two as the primary C rotation gives 48 minutes of toolsy rim protection.

I'm guessing that the Raptors offered to eat most of the "bad" money invested in Derrick White and McDermott to get a crack at Poeltl, in exchange for Dragic, Boucher, Malachi Flynn and Khem Birch. Likely a first headed your way as well. I think that's 38M in either direction, but 27M falling off this summer for you. With that much cap space to play with, you could be looking at a Deandre Ayton, Miles Bridges, Keldon Johnson frontcourt come fall.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
User avatar
G R E Y
Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
Posts: 22,872
And1: 19,509
Joined: Mar 17, 2010
Location: Silver and Black; Blue and White
   

Re: Raptors Interested In Trading For Jakob Poeltl 

Post#27 » by G R E Y » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:16 am

Cassius wrote:
G R E Y wrote:I don't think you've watched Jakob since he's been with us. Drafting him and the player he is now aren't the same things. But ok, if he's more useful to us than to you as just a lumbering bigs defender, we're more than fine keeping him and sounds like you ought to be looking somewhere else for that specific role.


Don't mind him. Raptors fans who watched know Jak actually struggles against power, but moves incredibly well in PnR defense on the perimeter while still being able to recover to the paint for weakside blocks and rebounds. He also runs the floor incredibly well, which is big for us, can pass and hits the offensive glass.

With Precious Achiuwa, we currently have a guy doing similar stuff defensively but five inches shorter, who is a better FT shooter but a complete adventure finishing from anywhere. The PPP for those two is probably similar, so having those two as the primary C rotation gives 48 minutes of toolsy rim protection.

I'm guessing that the Raptors offered to eat most of the "bad" money invested in Derrick White and McDermott to get a crack at Poeltl, in exchange for Dragic, Boucher, Malachi Flynn and Khem Birch. Likely a first headed your way as well. I think that's 38M in either direction, but 27M falling off this summer for you. With that much cap space to play with, you could be looking at a Deandre Ayton, Miles Bridges, Keldon Johnson frontcourt come fall.

Yeah that's a better assessment, thanks.

As to that offer, that asset of Goran's contract is better suited for a team that doesn't have cap space. Right now we're positioned at or near the top in terms of cap space this upcoming summer. We can already throw a max at Ayton. Derrick White is actually a value contract, rated as worth more than what he's actually earning.

So two PGs (a position of strength for us), cap space (we're good), and Boucher who is a back-up PF we replicate with Diop, and Birch doesn't fit our timeline like Jakob who we've been developing does.

These are assets better suited for a team that's not in year one of a rebuild. We can get some picks if we want from other players while keeping Jakob (ie/ Thad Young, possibly Lonnie or even Bryn Forbes, two of whom are on expiring contracts, the third will be RFA). We get worse for cap space and older players. It's not part of the development plan. That's not to say Jakob is untradeable, but he won't be moved for a collection of assets that don't add up to bring what he does on the court. It's rare that .25 per player adds up to the dollar of the best player going the other way. We're in a position of bargaining strength here, and have no need to give Jakob up unless we get made an offer we can't refuse - in the assets sense, not in the Godfather sense.
ImageImageImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

Return to Wiretap Discussion