Devin Harris Signs $1.3M Deal With Mavericks Weeks After Agreeing To $3M Annually

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Re: Devin Harris Signs $1.3M Deal With Mavericks Weeks After 

Post#21 » by DickMotta4Prez » Thu Aug 1, 2013 3:16 pm

luxurytax wrote:
pkiskool wrote:
luxurytax wrote:
"People laugh at the Mavs for missing out on Dwight, but they've quietly had a very good off season."

That was clearly YOU. Grow up. Dwight > junk players.

But my team Raptors (full of junk players) beat the Lakers and Dwight last year...... irony eh :S

STOP FEEDING THE TROLL, Guys!

On a related note, if we're handing out trophies based on rosters, why didn't the Lakers win the championship for having Dwight last year? Right, because you still have to PLAY the games. That sums up the Heat's post season run. They had the biggest big 3, but they had to play to earn it.

Last season the Mavs signed a bunch of scrub players on one year contracts. This year, they missed out on the premier big man who has chronic back issues, who's play has been in decline since '09/10 & is considered around the league to be seriously immature. If he plays a full healthy season, he could've been a great addition to the Mavs...or a miserable failure like he was last season for LAL. You're a fool if you can't see that this off-season has gone extraordinarily well for DAL.
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#22 » by FNQ » Thu Aug 1, 2013 4:49 pm

the trolling needs to stop, or the thread will be locked. Please report trolling posts and I will handle them
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by FNQ » Thu Aug 1, 2013 4:58 pm

Also FTR, I dont like any of Dallas' moves this offseason. I think they are doing what Cuban said he hated most - a in-between team ranging from the 6-10 seed with no big upside players in the pipeline. Hit or miss, the team just doesnt have a direction. I wouldnt call it quietly good or good by any stretch, unless Cuban intends to sell of Calderon/Monta at the deadline and take another crack at free agency next year.
DickMotta4Prez
Senior

Post#24 » by DickMotta4Prez » Thu Aug 1, 2013 11:27 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:Also FTR, I dont like any of Dallas' moves this offseason. I think they are doing what Cuban said he hated most - a in-between team ranging from the 6-10 seed with no big upside players in the pipeline. Hit or miss, the team just doesnt have a direction. I wouldnt call it quietly good or good by any stretch, unless Cuban intends to sell of Calderon/Monta at the deadline and take another crack at free agency next year.

You make a valid point, but most people were counting out the 2011 Mavs that eventually became champions. Nobody, Mavs faithful included, saw Chandler emerging as the starter, let alone an all-defensive anchor. Not calling on this current iteration to repeat history, but I do expect them to be one of the more surprising teams as long as everybody remains healthy. Currently, the Mavs are probably the most underrated team in the West.
boogiezen wrote:
luxurytax
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#25 » by luxurytax » Fri Aug 2, 2013 2:54 pm

DickMotta4Prez wrote:
luxurytax wrote:
pkiskool wrote:
But my team Raptors (full of junk players) beat the Lakers and Dwight last year...... irony eh :S

On a related note, if we're handing out trophies based on rosters, why didn't the Lakers win the championship for having Dwight last year? Right, because you still have to PLAY the games. That sums up the Heat's post season run. They had the biggest big 3, but they had to play to earn it.

Last season the Mavs signed a bunch of scrub players on one year contracts. This year, they missed out on the premier big man who has chronic back issues, who's play has been in decline since '09/10 & is considered around the league to be seriously immature. If he plays a full healthy season, he could've been a great addition to the Mavs...or a miserable failure like he was last season for LAL. You're a fool if you can't see that this off-season has gone extraordinarily well for DAL.

While I understand that the Lakers were expected to be good and obviously failed, I believe that Dallas would have been better off signing Howard over those players. I guess you can stick to your own opinion about those FA signings be good (I personally think it is them returning to the "mediocrity treadmill" as RealGM attests too), but you have to admit that they failed in signing Howard, and this is their Plan B. Plain and simple.
JStockton
Ballboy

Post#26 » by JStockton » Fri Aug 2, 2013 4:22 pm

luxurytax wrote:
DickMotta4Prez wrote:
luxurytax wrote:

While I understand that the Lakers were expected to be good and obviously failed, I believe that Dallas would have been better off signing Howard over those players. I guess you can stick to your own opinion about those FA signings be good (I personally think it is them returning to the "mediocrity treadmill" as RealGM attests too), but you have to admit that they failed in signing Howard, and this is their Plan B. Plain and simple.

And they did "good" on their Plan B. Plan A (signing Howard) would have been the been the "best" case scenario, but since they weren't able to do that, they opted for what is "good". Plain and simple.
luxurytax
Banned User

Post#27 » by luxurytax » Fri Aug 2, 2013 4:32 pm

JStockton wrote:
luxurytax wrote:
DickMotta4Prez wrote:STOP FEEDING THE TROLL, Guys!

And they did "good" on their Plan B. Plan A (signing Howard) would have been the been the "best" case scenario, but since they weren't able to do that, they opted for what is "good". Plain and simple.

Shouldn't teams be aiming for the best? Not being happy with the scraps that come with their Plan B? Why are people ok with mediocrity.
DickMotta4Prez
Senior

Post#28 » by DickMotta4Prez » Fri Aug 2, 2013 5:00 pm

luxurytax wrote:Shouldn't teams be aiming for the best? Not being happy with the scraps that come with their Plan B? Why are people ok with mediocrity.

They did aim for good. 2 years in a row. They stayed clear of longer commitments to other players in order to have the financial flexibility to be in a position to sign the premier free agents of the last 2 off-seasons. Howard was their prime target, but he signed with Houston. So Plan A failed, for 6 other teams as well. So rather than shutter the franchise, they all moved on to the next best set of talents they could acquire.
If you want to argue whether they would be better team with Howard, that's debatable (I personally think Howard comes with a big bag of 'what if' & HOU isn't guaranteed the trophy). But how are you defining 'mediocrity''? Is it a team that misses the playoffs? A team that fails to get passed the 1st round? A team that doesn't make the Finals?
Or are you just tossing the phrase around with nothing but your sole opinion to back it up?
boogiezen wrote:
DickMotta4Prez
Senior

Post#29 » by DickMotta4Prez » Fri Aug 2, 2013 5:02 pm

I'm glad you were forced to give up your trolling approach, LuxTax. But you've got to come w/ a stronger argument and actually address some of the counterpoints that are being presented to you, lady.
boogiezen wrote:
luxurytax
Banned User

Post#30 » by luxurytax » Fri Aug 2, 2013 6:10 pm

DickMotta4Prez wrote:
luxurytax wrote:Shouldn't teams be aiming for the best? Not being happy with the scraps that come with their Plan B? Why are people ok with mediocrity.

They did aim for good. 2 years in a row. They stayed clear of longer commitments to other players in order to have the financial flexibility to be in a position to sign the premier free agents of the last 2 off-seasons. Howard was their prime target, but he signed with Houston. So Plan A failed, for 6 other teams as well. So rather than shutter the franchise, they all moved on to the next best set of talents they could acquire.
If you want to argue whether they would be better team with Howard, that's debatable (I personally think Howard comes with a big bag of 'what if' & HOU isn't guaranteed the trophy). But how are you defining 'mediocrity''? Is it a team that misses the playoffs? A team that fails to get passed the 1st round? A team that doesn't make the Finals?
Or are you just tossing the phrase around with nothing but your sole opinion to back it up?

Yes they didn't get Plan A. Yes that is true for many other teams. So does that not mean they failed to achieve their goal? Yes, they went with their Plan B but that's not always good enough. In this case, no Howard does not guarantee anything, but Howard is still better than the scrubs they signed and Monta Ellis. So given that they spent years not signing anyone so that they were ready to sign Howard this summer, and they failed to do so, I would consider that FAILURE for the Mavericks. Would you not agree?
DickMotta4Prez
Senior

Post#31 » by DickMotta4Prez » Fri Aug 2, 2013 7:58 pm

luxurytax wrote:
DickMotta4Prez wrote:

Yes they didn't get Plan A. Yes that is true for many other teams. So does that not mean they failed to achieve their goal? Yes, they went with their Plan B but that's not always good enough. In this case, no Howard does not guarantee anything, but Howard is still better than the scrubs they signed and Monta Ellis. So given that they spent years not signing anyone so that they were ready to sign Howard this summer, and they failed to do so, I would consider that FAILURE for the Mavericks. Would you not agree?

Do you have any stats to back up your assertion that the Mavericks only signed "scrub"? Otherwise, you're just tossing out your opinion, which, as a known troll, nobody is too terribly interested in hearing.

And no, I don't agree. I also don't think you know what you're talking about.
boogiezen wrote:
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by FNQ » Fri Aug 2, 2013 8:16 pm

DickMotta4Prez wrote:
FireNellieQuick wrote:Also FTR, I dont like any of Dallas' moves this offseason. I think they are doing what Cuban said he hated most - a in-between team ranging from the 6-10 seed with no big upside players in the pipeline. Hit or miss, the team just doesnt have a direction. I wouldnt call it quietly good or good by any stretch, unless Cuban intends to sell of Calderon/Monta at the deadline and take another crack at free agency next year.

You make a valid point, but most people were counting out the 2011 Mavs that eventually became champions. Nobody, Mavs faithful included, saw Chandler emerging as the starter, let alone an all-defensive anchor. Not calling on this current iteration to repeat history, but I do expect them to be one of the more surprising teams as long as everybody remains healthy. Currently, the Mavs are probably the most underrated team in the West.

Mavs had a lot more high IQ guys then though.. Calderon fits, but Monta and Dalembert have rocks in their head, and Blair is OK but prone to some pretty stupid stuff too.

The '11 comparison doesnt fly with me because Chandler's always been good, when healthy. Guys like Monta and Dalembert have been healthy but never good, or in Sam's case, not close to recently. They could wind up better than most expect, but I think a .500 record from them in the West this year would stun me.
DickMotta4Prez
Senior

Post#33 » by DickMotta4Prez » Fri Aug 2, 2013 11:26 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:The '11 comparison doesnt fly with me because Chandler's always been good, when healthy. Guys like Monta and Dalembert have been healthy but never good, or in Sam's case, not close to recently. They could wind up better than most expect, but I think a .500 record from them in the West this year would stun me.

This is what I don't get. Last years team finished .500 & this off-season, they've upgraded 3 of 5 positions. With a fully healthy Dirk, there's no way this year's squad finishes worst than last year's team. I think everyone wants to just count the Mavs out. Just like in 2011!
boogiezen wrote:
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by FNQ » Fri Aug 2, 2013 11:35 pm

Have they upgraded positions though?

Monta can easily be a negative like he was in GS, Dalembert was a 100% athleticism player who's rapidly losing it.. If Dirk misses time, Calderon's value is in the tank. And then there's VC, Marion and Dirk - do they regress due to age?

To be 100% honest, I prefer Mayo to Monta because Mayo recognizes he's not a star. And I'd take Kaman/Brand over Dally/Blair too.. I think Mavs clearly upgraded one spot - PG - and have a series of question marks the rest of the way.

What are your expectations as a Dallas fan? I think its safe to pencil OKC, LAC, and HOU above them, gtd. GSW, DEN, MEM are more iffy, but likely there as well. Minnesota will be healthier, and NO is going to push for a spot as well. Where do you put Dallas?

Return to Wiretap Discussion