Derek Fisher Close To Deal To Become Knicks' Head Coach

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Re: Derek Fisher Close To Deal To Become Knicks' Head Coach 

Post#21 » by LApwnd » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:45 am

Mr_Perfect wrote:
LApwnd wrote:Jackson love for coaches with triangle experience is going to F the knicks. I like Fish alot and think he'll do well "someday" in the future as a HC but to give a guy with no coaching experince this much money and for this long is nuts. Ramis knew the triangle as much as Fish does at this moment if not better when he was HC of Minn and that failed miserably.

Rambis had terrible players and also didn't have the Triangle Master advising him every day.

so what? NY isn't exactly full of "triangle" players either. IF Jackson wanted a puppet coach he should've paid alot less.
Mr_Perfect
Head Coach
And1: 2,931

Post#22 » by Mr_Perfect » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:25 am

LApwnd wrote:
Mr_Perfect wrote:
LApwnd wrote:Jackson love for coaches with triangle experience is going to F the knicks. I like Fish alot and think he'll do well "someday" in the future as a HC but to give a guy with no coaching experince this much money and for this long is nuts. Ramis knew the triangle as much as Fish does at this moment if not better when he was HC of Minn and that failed miserably.

Rambis had terrible players and also didn't have the Triangle Master advising him every day.

so what? NY isn't exactly full of "triangle" players either. IF Jackson wanted a puppet coach he should've paid alot less.

Phil will get the players.

Worry about the Lakers, not the Knicks.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#23 » by LApwnd » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:26 am

Mr_Perfect wrote:
LApwnd wrote:
Mr_Perfect wrote:

who says I"m worried, just expressing my opinion on Fish. I dont care who you are as a GM/President, when you pay a player to become a HC w/o any type of experience you deserve to get criticized.
Mr_Perfect
Head Coach
And1: 2,931

Post#24 » by Mr_Perfect » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:31 am

LApwnd wrote:
Mr_Perfect wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

who says I"m worried, just expressing my opinion on Fish. I dont care who you are as a GM/President, when you pay a player to become a HC w/o any type of experience you deserve to get criticized.

Steve Kerr set the tone. Just like Jason Kidd set it before him. That's going to be the norm now.
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#25 » by Tenbomber » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:34 am

Objectively this seems like the perfict fit .....Jackson wants to impliment the triangle offence....and who knows more about it than his former Laker point guard?

Fisher, as a former player rep, also knows nearly every player in the league... that should help him to recruit the right players to play in NY...

I'd bet that much of this season's group of underachievers are gone by next season.....that could mean Melo and Chandler and Amare...and more

I'd bet a play for Kobe will be pitched by Jackson to the Laker's brass.....Don't you think?

It might be a good move for both teams? if the league would permit it....

Not that a Celtic fan would necessarily hope for such a thing to improve both of those clubs... but a deal like that sure makes alot of sence?
Saig
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#26 » by Saig » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:55 am

I don't like this new trend of paying big bucks for rookie coaches.
brooklynoxy
Senior
And1: 121

Post#27 » by brooklynoxy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:31 am

sten777 wrote:Melo to Bulls!

Never will happen. Melo will need leave $25 million to move to Chicago. The Bulls would have to trade away the hobbled D-Rose contract which will never happen, not to mention give up Noah plus another vital player.

I like Chicago but they need a PG like Irving. Carmelo is a Knick who will have LeBron and K-Love on our next championship team!
"You have to respect your coach. I know LeBron's a great player, but I think he stepped over the line." Walt "Clyde" Frazier
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#28 » by LaRance » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:55 am

Saig wrote:I don't like this new trend of paying big bucks for rookie coaches.

I agree. I think it's stupid
Biased_Fan6425
Starter
And1: 1,396

Post#29 » by Biased_Fan6425 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:06 am

brooklynoxy wrote:
sten777 wrote:Melo to Bulls!

Never will happen. Melo will need leave $25 million to move to Chicago. The Bulls would have to trade away the hobbled D-Rose contract which will never happen, not to mention give up Noah plus another vital player.

I like Chicago but they need a PG like Irving. Carmelo is a Knick who will have LeBron and K-Love on our next championship team!

:banghead:
Lets go Lakers!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#30 » by LApwnd » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:35 am

Tenbomber wrote:Objectively this seems like the perfict fit .....Jackson wants to impliment the triangle offence....and who knows more about it than his former Laker point guard?

Fisher, as a former player rep, also knows nearly every player in the league... that should help him to recruit the right players to play in NY...

I'd bet that much of this season's group of underachievers are gone by next season.....that could mean Melo and Chandler and Amare...and more

I'd bet a play for Kobe will be pitched by Jackson to the Laker's brass.....Don't you think?

Not that a Celtic fan would necessarily hope for such a thing to improve both of those clubs... but a deal like that sure makes alot of sence?

what the heck are you dribbling about....there's NOTHING on NYK squad that would interest LA and we certainly not going to do a S&T for Melo when we can sign him out right if need be.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#31 » by LieCheatSteal » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:13 am

On one hand, teams that have ran the triangle wins (Bulls and Lakers, coached by Jackson).

On the other hand, I don't see Amare, Felton, JR or Shumpert being bright enough to pick up the intricacies of the triangle. Sorry.

If I was Carmelo, I would leave. The Knicks might be better off anyways. It clears up a lot of cap space once he and Amare leaves. They are also not forced to move picks for players to help Carmelo win.

Might be a win-win situation for both teams. For the Knicks, though, not right away but better in the long run.
Two years from being two years away.
10acious
Junior
And1: 13

Post#32 » by 10acious » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:47 am

PDX_DL0 wrote:Phil found his student, overall Fisher will have success. I'm skeptical about Fish when it comes down to in-game adjustments vs coaches like Pop.

Fish has played in the Western Conference for his entire career -- 3-4 games per year against the Spurs, not including playoffs. He has had to execute his team's in game adjustments and counter-adjustments against Pop and should know Pop's game thoroughly. Stopping the Spurs is a different story. But give Fish some credit for not having a horizontal learning curve after all these years playing in the league.
NUMBERICA
Sophomore
And1: 150

Post#33 » by NUMBERICA » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:50 am

The only thing more true than that Phil Jackson is one of the best coaches of all time is that he's one of the most ego-maniacal coaches of all time.
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#34 » by Tenbomber » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:53 am

LApwnd wrote:
Tenbomber wrote:Objectively this seems like the perfict fit .....Jackson wants to impliment the triangle offence....and who knows more about it than his former Laker point guard?

what the heck are you dribbling about....there's NOTHING on NYK squad that would interest LA and we certainly not going to do a S&T for Melo when we can sign him out right if need be.

Draft choices could be acquired for other players and then traded....And three or four team deals are done every day....If you have a smart GM theres always a way....And most of them look for ways to get at least some return....

You are just scared of mediocrity...

If Kobe wants to play for Phil, he will .....and theres not much the Lakers or their fans could do about it....An unhappy Kobe Bryant would serve The Lakers no good....He could force a trade much like Kevin Love appears to be doing in Minnesotta......True?

Welcome to the modern day NBA....
kb all day
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#35 » by kb all day » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:36 pm

And so Fishers legacy continues ...
Mondo Sports
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#36 » by Mondo Sports » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:52 pm

The hiring of Fisher is just a small part of the plan....Melo will leave and for the time being believe it or not Amare may become a focal point of the offense in this new scheme if he can stay healthy (Remember the team right before Carmelo arrived). Look for Phil to stock the team with ex-Laker vets as role players until he can make a big splash and get the next Kobe/Jordan whatever once all the dead weight comes off the books.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#37 » by LApwnd » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Tenbomber wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

Draft choices could be acquired for other players and then traded....And three or four team deals are done every day....If you have a smart GM theres always a way....And most of them look for ways to get at least some return....

You are just scared of mediocrity...

If Kobe wants to play for Phil, he will .....and theres not much the Lakers or their fans could do about it....An unhappy Kobe Bryant would serve The Lakers no good....He could force a trade much like Kevin Love appears to be doing in Minnesotta......True?

Welcome to the modern day NBA....

come back to reality Bro, Kobe is 36 and is making 25mill/yr. There NOBODY thats going to trade for him :lol: and NOBODY in their right mind would willingingly sign on to play for the Knicks at this moment. This isn't nba2k, 3-4 team trade do NOT happen everyday and there's hardly anyone on the Knicks current roster thats goign to net you draft picks, at best right now its THJ and thats probably it.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#38 » by Rated T By CBRA » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:56 pm

Tenbomber wrote:come back to reality Bro, Kobe is 36 and is making 25mill/yr. There NOBODY thats going to trade for him :lol: and NOBODY in their right mind would willingingly sign on to play for the Knicks at this moment. This isn't nba2k, 3-4 team trade do NOT happen everyday and there's hardly anyone on the Knicks current roster thats goign to net you draft picks, at best right now its THJ and thats probably it.

If there is anyone who was willing to take a 36-year old with an insanely bad contract...it would be the Knicks. I don't see Kobe leaving LA, but hypothetically speaking - lets say he does try to force a way out...he would definitely get a welcome wagon from Dolan: big spending for short-term thinking. However, Kobe and Melo would be the only two threats on that team...and they play similar styles of ball, I don't see how they could do anything that way...or how they could bring in anyone else to help them out with the contracts of Kobe/Melo..
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 207

Post#39 » by puja21 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:14 pm

Mondo Sports wrote:The hiring of Fisher is just a small part of the plan....Melo will leave and for the time being believe it or not Amare may become a focal point of the offense in this new scheme if he can stay healthy (Remember the team right before Carmelo arrived). Look for Phil to stock the team with ex-Laker vets as role players until he can make a big splash and get the next Kobe/Jordan whatever once all the dead weight comes off the books.

Amare Stoudemire turns 32 in the first weeks of next season and his knees turn 78.

He is done being the focal point of any Association offense, almost certainly done being a reliable #2 scorer as well, save for perhaps the thinnest/worst rosters in the league.

Post-2013, he is almost surely a 6th man with some scoring punch and lacking defense or he is an oft-injured starter who is over-matched by his counterpart in most games

At this point, the Knicks are just clock watching on that contract to expire.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#40 » by Donnyxc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:40 pm

Gonna miss Fish swishing those threes.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley

Return to Wiretap Discussion