Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Joe Johnson Agrees To Buyout With Kings, Will Sign With Rockets 

Post#21 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:26 am

alienpick wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:You are easily entertained!

I'd say easily impressed. Or maybe......impressionable? ~lol~

says the ANTIFA wannabe...

MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 120

Post#22 » by FreeBoosie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:59 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
alienpick wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:I'd say easily impressed. Or maybe......impressionable? ~lol~

says the ANTIFA wannabe...

Da fak is going on here lmao
commentatorer
Sixth Man
And1: 815

Post#23 » by commentatorer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:31 pm

bespectacled19 wrote:everybody's ring chasing now haha

but why is it if LeBron's the one chasing, almost everybody has an issue with it?

double standards eh? :lol:

Its a different standard because LeBron is compared to greats like Kobe etc.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,153

Post#24 » by LiSTWithLani » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:35 pm

commentatorer wrote:

but why is it if LeBron's the one chasing, almost everybody has an issue with it?

Quite right. LBJ is chasing best-ever accolades and ring chasing isn't becoming.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,233

Post#25 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:33 pm

lstern wrote:
commentatorer wrote:

Quite right. LBJ is chasing best-ever accolades and ring chasing isn't becoming.

Isn't everybody ring chasing? Doesn't every player owe it to themselves to sign with the best possible team? I mean, I hate these super-teams because it makes the game boring. But I do understand wanting to win. Who's going to hold it against Anthony Davis when he jumps ship in NO? Is it only OK to leave a team via trade, and if so, what is the purpose of free agency?

The entire purpose of the NBA (or any sport really) is to chase the ring.
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#26 » by gordoncatrell » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:17 pm

if HOU doesnt get CP3 to slim down and get in shape, they're done. wont matter who else the get to fill out these secondary roles.

D'Antoni is running Harden into the ground.
OLD Players LOVE D'Antoni - WHY? bc he doesnt run them hard in practice; he barely practices, and he lets them pad stats.
Downside to that: Star players odometer goes through the roof and they break down quickly (Nash, Kobe, Harden, Amare (Twice PHO and NY).
it's no accident that HOU is littered with Old(er), Heavy(er), Stat fillers.

GSW phoned in the season games v Hou. wait til the playoffs, GSW gonna beat the brakes off these guys.

HOU would have a punchers' chance if CP decided to eat salads and get on the treadmill. dude is easily 20 lbs overweight.
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#27 » by JCruz6 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:08 am

anatomicbomb wrote:
JCruz6 wrote:
Jass01 wrote:This guy gave up 10 million dollars to not play for the Kings. The Kings should feel insulted about this.

In reality, he's not "giving it up", not all of it at least. I'm pretty sure they agree to pay a % of it in the mutual agreement that they want to go their own ways. So...

It is a buyout

Right. As in buy you out of your current contract. Doesn't always mean it goes to 0.

I'm pretty sure they'll agree to pay him 2M over 2 years (as an example) than take a 10M cap hit in one year. It's a numbers game.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,153

Post#28 » by LiSTWithLani » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:30 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
lstern wrote:
commentatorer wrote:

Isn't everybody ring chasing? Doesn't every player owe it to themselves to sign with the best possible team? I mean, I hate these super-teams because it makes the game boring. But I do understand wanting to win. Who's going to hold it against Anthony Davis when he jumps ship in NO? Is it only OK to leave a team via trade, and if so, what is the purpose of free agency?

I don't agree.
Leaving team X isn't the crime, it's joining the A team. It has happened a lot in previous generations as well, but the truth is that the fans want to see competition, not one team trounce all others.
Rooting for the underdog is not fun, when their chances are nil.

In your example, if Anthony Davis left NO for Washington, Portland, Denver, Oklahoma, Toronto, Boston or Houston, I don't think that people would be unhappy. Rather, they might be thrilled for him and choose to root for those teams. Yes, Houston is turning themselves into a world-beater, but they haven't been on top for so long that it's an issue.
commentatorer
Sixth Man
And1: 815

Post#29 » by commentatorer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:53 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
lstern wrote:
commentatorer wrote:

Nobody is comparing Anthony Davis to Jordan, so it makes no difference what Anthony Davis does regarding ring-chasing.
Jordan raised Pippen/Grant from childbirth instead of fleeing to the Lakers/Pistons, because that's what a true man does, not ring-chase.
If LeBron wants to be a true man, he can't ring-chase when the going gets tough.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,215

Post#30 » by anatomicbomb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:15 am

JCruz6 wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:
JCruz6 wrote:
In reality, he's not "giving it up", not all of it at least. I'm pretty sure they agree to pay a % of it in the mutual agreement that they want to go their own ways. So...

It is a buyout

Right. As in buy you out of your current contract. Doesn't always mean it goes to 0.

I'm pretty sure they'll agree to pay him 2M over 2 years (as an example) than take a 10M cap hit in one year. It's a numbers game.

I know, it could never go to zero, or it would not be a buyout; hence my point.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the Kings prefer to take the cap hit sooner than later, in whatever manner best suits their FA needs during the offseason.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.

Return to Wiretap Discussion