Oklahoma City's Plan Was To Flip Chris Paul In Another Trade

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,604

Re: Oklahoma City's Plan Was To Flip Chris Paul In Another Trade 

Post#21 » by dice » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Chris3323 wrote:CP3 to the Bucks makes too much sense

cp3 at $40 mil a year is obviously preferable to bledsoe at $17 mil a year? you're severely underrating one of the better two-way point guards in the league
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 241

Post#22 » by tigerae » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:29 pm

moocow007 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
tigerae wrote:They already got assets in forms of picks for taking his contract and were able to get Westbrook's supermax off the books, too. Just keeping him to potentially become a bad influence in the locker room if they do end up benching him down the line makes no sense.

Buyout is an option depending how much money Paul is willing to give up. I think it would need to be significant though for a buyout to go through.

How much do you want in a buyout Chris?

No way Chris gives up too much money, maybe 2.5 million a year, so 7.5 million or 10 million max to round it up. He won't waive his last season of all that money even though that's what OKC or potential trade partners (Miami) want.

He appears more than willing to play out his contract, but if they start benching him, things will change in terms of locker room chemistry/team morale and overall team perception. If they handle it wrong this could mean even less future free agents and agents willing to deal with them. They are already hindered by being a small market team.

They got assets for taking his contract and got rid of way more money from Westbrook's contract. Not sure why they thought they could get any assets for him. They will only get more bad contracts in return or will have to attach picks like Houston did to get a trade partner.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,209

Post#23 » by LAKESHOW » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:59 am

This GM is an idiot. Sends houston the goods, making them a contender. Sends clippers the goods making them a contender. Takes back the worst contract. Didnt even get lou williams as a bonus for paul george. Then reveals to woj how much of a dope he is, believing someone is going to take that contract. Lol
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 241

Post#24 » by tigerae » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:29 am

LAKESHOW wrote:This GM is an idiot. Sends houston the goods, making them a contender. Sends clippers the goods making them a contender. Takes back the worst contract. Didnt even get lou williams as a bonus for paul george. Then reveals to woj how much of a dope he is, believing someone is going to take that contract. Lol
Houston was already a contender with CP3 and the jury is still out on how well Russ and Harden can co-exist. Plus, I am still adament that the Rockets issues are with DAntoni first and foremost and I have a feeling he will get fired soon after the season starts. Russ isn't a good 3pt shooter (at least CP3 is decent) and I just don't see him really working out well in that system.

The GM thinking that they could flip CP3 for even more assets after they got an unprotected pick is just crazy. You think the Rockets didn't make calls to try and trade CP3 for a more favorable package that would have worked better in their system first?!?

If I was them, I would have made it known Russ was available and saw what packages were out there prior to trading him to Houston. They may have been able to get a deal similar to what the Clippers got for Blake's supermax contract from a small market team that had no chances at an elite player otherwise.

As for the PG13 trade, the Clippers definitely overpaid for him with all of the first round picks and very promising young talent in Shai. The Thunder won on that trade for sure, but for the Clippers it made sense because in essence they were trading for PG13 and Khawi.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,311

Post#25 » by Clemenza » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:59 am

tigerae wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:This GM is an idiot. Sends houston the goods, making them a contender. Sends clippers the goods making them a contender. Takes back the worst contract. Didnt even get lou williams as a bonus for paul george. Then reveals to woj how much of a dope he is, believing someone is going to take that contract. Lol
Houston was already a contender with CP3 and the jury is still out on how well Russ and Harden can co-exist. Plus, I am still adament that the Rockets issues are with DAntoni first and foremost and I have a feeling he will get fired soon after the season starts. Russ isn't a good 3pt shooter (at least CP3 is decent) and I just don't see him really working out well in that system.

The GM thinking that they could flip CP3 for even more assets after they got an unprotected pick is just crazy. You think the Rockets didn't make calls to try and trade CP3 for a more favorable package that would have worked better in their system first?!?

If I was them, I would have made it known Russ was available and saw what packages were out there prior to trading him to Houston. They may have been able to get a deal similar to what the Clippers got for Blake's supermax contract from a small market team that had no chances at an elite player otherwise.

As for the PG13 trade, the Clippers definitely overpaid for him with all of the first round picks and very promising young talent in Shai. The Thunder won on that trade for sure, but for the Clippers it made sense because in essence they were trading for PG13 and Khawi.

I don't think they won anything overall when they had to take on CP3's deal. Nobody is going to take on that contract either. Damn shame cause the keys should've been handed to SGA right out of the gate.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,973

Post#26 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:15 am

It is true. Getting all the draft picks is nice, but honestly, those are some of the best players in the league, at least with Westbrook some think he is...
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#27 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:44 am

dougthonus wrote:

The Bucks can't afford Brogdon, but they can afford CP3?

Letting go of Brodgon was dumb I'd say but CP3 for Bledsloe and what ever other contracts they can throw in makes perfect sense and would get them out of the East at least..
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,067

Post#28 » by dougthonus » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

The Bucks can't afford Brogdon, but they can afford CP3?

Letting go of Brodgon was dumb I'd say but CP3 for Bledsloe and what ever other contracts they can throw in makes perfect sense and would get them out of the East at least..

You would have to do something like Bledsoe + Brook Lopez + George Hill after Dec 15. I don't think that deal makes much sense for the Bucks.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Post#29 » by nedleeds » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:21 pm

There is no buyout on a deal with 3 years and $125 MILLION ... It can't be done. He's the president of the NBAPA also.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Post#30 » by nedleeds » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:22 pm

There is no buyout on a deal with 3 years and $125 MILLION ... It can't be done. He's the president of the NBAPA also.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#31 » by texasholdem » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Paul to Minnesota for Wiggins and Teague makes sense for both teams. Okc can easily flip the expiring Teague to a third team since they already have SGA and Dennis S.

Wiggins is young enough to fit okc rebuilding.
Towns needs a veteran leader.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,576

Post#32 » by dautjazz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:42 pm

Well that was a bad plan. Lucky for them they got some picks to save face. They really should of just tried trading Westbrook elsewhere if they were looking to blow it up.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,982

Post#33 » by Cassius » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:48 pm

12footrim wrote:As many draft picks as they have moving forward in the future I don't know why they really want to trade him. They don't need to tank, and teams like Toronto and the Bucks didnt' get to where they are by tankings really. There is no one way, you can obviously draft guys like Giannis and Kawhi outside the lottery as well or use your stack of draft picks to get a star.

As it is now they have a competitive team with Paul, Galo, and Adams that can probably even compete for the 8th seed and they have a good young asset in Gilgeruous Alexander to try to grow. Tanking in this new loto reform probably gets you no where anyway. The sweeter spot is like 6-10 or whatever if you don't make the playoffs which is exactly probably around what they project.

I think it has less to do with the fit and more to do with the cash and taxes, especially with the uncertainty around China. I think they'd make a good trading partner with Orlando if they're willing to move the parts they get back in individual deals.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.

Return to Wiretap Discussion