cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 230

Re: ESPN, TNT Considering NBA Media Rights Deals With Fewer Annual Games 

Post#21 » by cheese318 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:35 am

tigerae wrote:
NBA4Lyfe wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
NFL Pro Bowl is a complete joke for years. Does that make the NFL a joke to you as well? Actually go ask MJ about his investment in Charlotte Hornets over the last 20 years and he’d laugh as you because he made a killing on that sale. To kill NBA because of the all star game would mean you can’t like the NFL because of the joke that was the pro bowl

the nfl is talking about getting rid of the pro-bowl and the nfl is a profitable league unlike the nba. The biggest secret that no is bringing up is that the reason that nba teams are currently overvalued is because of steve ballmer overpriced purchase of the clippers. That artifically inflated the value for the rest of the teams lol. NBA Owners are currently best breaking even owning a team. And COVID really put a dent in the nba's finances, the league had to take out a loan during the bubble because of nba teams bleeding money lol. Oh and good luck seeing anywhere close to what the nba got in their last tv contract deal. load management ftw

The NBA had 10 billion in revenue in the 2021-2022 season after two years of losses from the pandemic. In 2019, revenues stood at 8.8 billion and dropped all the way to 6.2 billion in 2021. It almost doubled that in 2022 with 10 billion, which is also an all time record in revenue. Sponsorship revenue has also gone up year over year. When they release the 2022-2023 revenue numbers it will likely be more than 10 billion.

Keep in mind Amazon and Apple have deep pockets. TNT and ESPN will likely pay the same if not more money to take on less games because they will be bidding against Amazon and Apple.

This is a perfect avenue to be able to sell their packages to ESPN/TNT and also finding a streaming partners to possibly add more eyes to their game. It’s like having your cake and eating it to if this is something that TNT/ESPN are okay with. Anyway you can add more eyes to the prize is a win for the league
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 230

Post#22 » by cheese318 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:43 am

Lalouie wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:
tigerae wrote:The NBA had 10 billion in revenue in the 2021-2022 season after two years of losses from the pandemic. In 2019, revenues stood at 8.8 billion and dropped all the way to 6.2 billion in 2021. It almost doubled that in 2022 with 10 billion, which is also an all time record in revenue. Sponsorship revenue has also gone up year over year. When they release the 2022-2023 revenue numbers it will likely be more than 10 billion.

Keep in mind Amazon and Apple have deep pockets. TNT and ESPN will likely pay the same if not more money to take on less games because they will be bidding against Amazon and Apple.

This seems most likely. 4 bidders drives up the value. I'm fine if prime gets a package, and won't missnthe occasional apple game.

Numbers will continue to rise, and they are a bit shameless with their sponsors right now, it's a lot.

mmm. doesn't sound like it to me.

sounds like tnt/espn are balking at the price so appl/amz are stepping in to assume cost. all the streamers are getting into live sports and tnt/espn is tired of the load management no-shows.

we knew the load management was going to be a sticky issue so the two giants are stepping in. so yes maybe they drive up the price but i doubt it - at best they drive up the cost between themselves. tnt/espn seems to have created the window willingly

TNT has one of the best shows with “Inside the NBA” There is no way they want to tell the NBA we no longer want to have a partnership together please go scratch and find another network/streamer. I just do not buy that one bit. ESPN with all the cost cutting that’s gone on in house talent it is possible but not sure they’d want to lose the NBA.

I think ESPN would try to cut spending on other live splits content/contracts that do not bring as much money. When that UFC contract runs out I’d be curious to see if that is something they will renew. Fox Sports did so much more with the UFC contract imo over ESPN as FS1 dedicated so much more to the platform/MMA. Curious how much ESPN+ makes off hosting all the PPV’s because that’s the key element if it makes sense to continue the partnership.
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,301

Post#23 » by Lalouie » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:55 am

cheese318 wrote:
Lalouie wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:
This seems most likely. 4 bidders drives up the value. I'm fine if prime gets a package, and won't missnthe occasional apple game.

Numbers will continue to rise, and they are a bit shameless with their sponsors right now, it's a lot.

mmm. doesn't sound like it to me.

sounds like tnt/espn are balking at the price so appl/amz are stepping in to assume cost. all the streamers are getting into live sports and tnt/espn is tired of the load management no-shows.

we knew the load management was going to be a sticky issue so the two giants are stepping in. so yes maybe they drive up the price but i doubt it - at best they drive up the cost between themselves. tnt/espn seems to have created the window willingly

TNT has one of the best shows with “Inside the NBA” There is no way they want to tell the NBA we no longer want to have a partnership together please go scratch and find another network/streamer. I just do not buy that one bit. ESPN with all the cost cutting that’s gone on in house talent it is possible but not sure they’d want to lose the NBA.

I think ESPN would try to cut spending on other live splits content/contracts that do not bring as much money. When that UFC contract runs out I’d be curious to see if that is something they will renew. Fox Sports did so much more with the UFC contract imo over ESPN as FS1 dedicated so much more to the platform/MMA. Curious how much ESPN+ makes off hosting all the PPV’s because that’s the key element if it makes sense to continue the partnership.

they're not. it sounds like they don't want to PAY for the full package. ya gotta think, i think at least, that this is about paying a full price when teams are sitting their stars. it's like paying for a bar of kitkat and finding you you just bought 2pieces instead of 4.

we knew this issue about load management was right around the corner. we knew TV wasn't going full price and the nba wasn't going to go backwards

Return to Wiretap Discussion