NBA Considering Extending 2024 Draft Over Two Days

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 145

Re: NBA Considering Extending 2024 Draft Over Two Days 

Post#21 » by haste10176 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 5:51 am

tyler_rex wrote:Adam Silver is doing his best to kill the NBA. I cannot wait for this in-season tournament to be the colossal bust many have predicted. Now he wants the draft to be 2 days the man doesn’t understand there aren’t enough roster spots to make 2nd rd draft picks important.

The in season tournament does not really effect anything how could it kill the NBA? Most of the games are just reg season games? I am confused.. drafting over 2 days I dont even care because i dont watch the draft either way but maybe gives more times for deals to be made could be helpful i have no idea i doubt it would lead to any real additional revenue and i dont think that would be the idea
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 145

Post#22 » by haste10176 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 5:54 am

donemilio21 wrote:if you don't know who you are picking by draft night, you are already failing.
I don't think it would improve trade discussions either. Not necessary.

The guy you want may be gone and then some team may make you an offer for your pick that you might want to think about if most players you were after are gone
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,054

Post#23 » by kalel123 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 4:09 pm

haste10176 wrote:
tyler_rex wrote:Adam Silver is doing his best to kill the NBA. I cannot wait for this in-season tournament to be the colossal bust many have predicted. Now he wants the draft to be 2 days the man doesn’t understand there aren’t enough roster spots to make 2nd rd draft picks important.

The in season tournament does not really effect anything how could it kill the NBA? Most of the games are just reg season games? I am confused.. drafting over 2 days I dont even care because i dont watch the draft either way but maybe gives more times for deals to be made could be helpful i have no idea i doubt it would lead to any real additional revenue and i dont think that would be the idea

Yeah, don't really see in-season tournament ruining anything. It's only 1 or 2 extra games for final teams, isn't it? An event in Las Vegas? While I do think there need to be more incentives to really make it high stakes, there's a decent chance, this will be mild success at minimum.

In the meantime, yeah, no point to extending draft to two days. Nobody cares after first round. I'm thinking people directly involved probably want to get it over with and move onto next phase rather than have this thing drag on. If teams need more time, start an hour earlier and give teams a few extra minutes to decide.
beefman
Senior
And1: 15

Post#24 » by beefman » Thu Nov 9, 2023 10:13 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
beefman wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:What for? Desperate for any additional ad revenues? Dumb

additional revenue is dumb? some advice for you, stick to the sports forums

Some advice for you, i bet fewer watch 2nd day than back end of what they do now.

uhhh that's your opinion, not advice.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,552

Post#25 » by ItsDanger » Thu Nov 9, 2023 11:39 pm

beefman wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
beefman wrote:
additional revenue is dumb? some advice for you, stick to the sports forums

Some advice for you, i bet fewer watch 2nd day than back end of what they do now.

uhhh that's your opinion, not advice.

Uhhh, learn about the advertising market sometime before commenting
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,236

Post#26 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:20 am

kalel123 wrote:
haste10176 wrote:

Yeah, don't really see in-season tournament ruining anything. It's only 1 or 2 extra games for final teams, isn't it? An event in Las Vegas? While I do think there need to be more incentives to really make it high stakes, there's a decent chance, this will be mild success at minimum.

In the meantime, yeah, no point to extending draft to two days. Nobody cares after first round. I'm thinking people directly involved probably want to get it over with and move onto next phase rather than have this thing drag on. If teams need more time, start an hour earlier and give teams a few extra minutes to decide.

My guess would be that they make a bigger presentation out of the lottery. Picks 1-14 would be day one; picks 15-60 on day two. It would give more time on day one for the media to interview the new draft picks and break down team fit. It would also give them some run up time to the second day to discuss who slipped in the draft and is who is still on the board. It would definitely be a money thing. The NBA doesn't sell ad space, they sell the show to the highest bidder. Whoever buys the show sells ad space. This would give the NBA two shows to sell.

I don't usually watch the draft live, but I think this would make the 2nd day better than the 1st... at least as far as enjoyable TV is concerned. As it is, it's kind of like election night, where people keep going over the same talking points they've been discussing for months and tracking percentages by district in states that your guy has no chance of winning. "Still too close to call Jim!" Or it's like watching someone else, watch professional bowling. Someone please, just tell me how it ends!... And that's what they would do on day two. :D

Return to Wiretap Discussion