Cavaliers Remain In Lead For Kevin Love

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

JasonL
Freshman
And1: 7

Re: Cavaliers Remain In Lead For Kevin Love 

Post#41 » by JasonL » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:31 am

NBA___Ughhh wrote:If Kevin Love wants to play with Lebron badly enough, then why would the Cavs feel the need to offer Wiggins at all, especially considering Love's FA status? The Wolves are lucky he gave them a heads up in the first place, and should take whatever they can scrape from the team Love wants to sign with long term. Assuming that team is the Cavs, and considering the T-Wolves are looking at a rebuild, guys like Waiters, Bennet, and future first rounders should be considered to be an offer that is more than fair.

you are an absolute idiot with no grasp on the nba.
JasonL
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#42 » by JasonL » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:41 am

thinktellectual wrote:
Boardwalker wrote:
thinktellectual wrote:Cavs are idiots if they give up Wiggins for Love.
All they have to do is convince Love (through his agent) to tell GS and other suitors that he won't re-up with them.

Then they can get him for Bennett, Waiters and a few well protected picks.

I don't think the Cavs are crazy at all. Wiggins has a mediocre jumpshot, questionable handles, and has never played against NBA-level players. On the other hand, Love is a proven top-10 player who is still young and can shoot the lights out. I think it's kind of a no brainer from the Cavs' perspective.

You are missing my point.

I am not saying "Don't trade for Love".

I am saying "You don't need to include Wiggins when trading for Love".

Cavs are doing what the Knicks did with Melo: selling the farm.
Why let go of assets when you don't really need to ?

you do need too tho, which seems to be the part you cant seem to wrap your brain around.
thinktellectual
Rookie
And1: 726

Post#43 » by thinktellectual » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:06 am

Boardwalker wrote:
thinktellectual wrote:
Boardwalker wrote:
I don't think the Cavs are crazy at all. Wiggins has a mediocre jumpshot, questionable handles, and has never played against NBA-level players. On the other hand, Love is a proven top-10 player who is still young and can shoot the lights out. I think it's kind of a no brainer from the Cavs' perspective.

Let me understand you correctly: are you saying that you actually believe that the Cavs can get Love without including Wiggins in the trade?????? If so, who on earth do you think the Cavs can scrape off their 33-win team that will actually make Minnesota want to trade Love?

Did you just start watching the NBA ?
Cause Minnesota doesn't have to "want" to trade Love. In fact, they DON'T want to trade him.
But if they don't, they'll lose him for nothing next summer.

They were idiots and incompetents (Khan AND McHale ???? How can you replace one of the worst GMs in league history with one even worse than him ????) and now they're paying the price.

The Wolves have ZERO leverage. Love and the Cavs hold all the cards.

There is a LOOOONG history of one sided trades in similar situations (a star wants out, and picks one or a few teams that he wants to go to). The only team who gave up way more than they needed to were the Knicks with Melo.

I hope I don't have to recite a list of trades from Barkley to Carter to Shaq and beyond, where a star was traded for crap.
thinktellectual
Rookie
And1: 726

Post#44 » by thinktellectual » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:14 am

JasonL wrote:
thinktellectual wrote:
Boardwalker wrote:

You are missing my point.

I am not saying "Don't trade for Love".

Why let go of assets when you don't really need to ?

you do need too tho, which seems to be the part you cant seem to wrap your brain around.

You do ?
Pray, do tell me why.

If Love lets all other teams know he won't sign an extension with them, nobody is gonna offer **** to the Wolves. So the Wolves will have to accept whatever the Cavs offer them, or just lose Love for nothing in summer.

In which case, Bennett + Waiters + some picks and/or cash and/or cap relief is much better than nothing.

Really, it's like you just started watching the NBA and think you know how things work.
You need to check out the history of trades for stars, maybe you'll learn something.
NBA___Ughhh
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#45 » by NBA___Ughhh » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:15 am

JasonL wrote:
NBA___Ughhh wrote:If Kevin Love wants to play with Lebron badly enough, then why would the Cavs feel the need to offer Wiggins at all, especially considering Love's FA status? The Wolves are lucky he gave them a heads up in the first place, and should take whatever they can scrape from the team Love wants to sign with long term. Assuming that team is the Cavs, and considering the T-Wolves are looking at a rebuild, guys like Waiters, Bennet, and future first rounders should be considered to be an offer that is more than fair.

you are an absolute idiot with no grasp on the nba.

In your past two posts, you added absolutely nothing to the conversation. You completely ignore the history of free agency, especially with regard to all-star FA's. And you fail to see that David Lee and Klay Thompson will be expensive weight on a 8th seed (at best) playoff team in MN. And considering the fact that there has been no confirmation of a Cavs trade package from anyone but the desperate Chris Broussard, I wouldn't be so sure the Cavs aren't set on keeping Wiggins. There are countless examples of free agents leaving without their previous team getting anything. So like I said, I consider Waiters, Bennet, and two first rounders to be more than fair. For some reason I have to point these facts out to you, and yet you're the one calling names on this forum. Sad...
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#46 » by MagicFan32 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:24 am

No wiggins, no deal, flip doesn't seem to care if love walks or not
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#47 » by MagicFan32 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:26 am

thinktellectual wrote:
Cause Minnesota doesn't have to "want" to trade Love. In fact, they DON'T want to trade him.

Oh noes, they'll lose a player who has never helped them win for nothing, as opposed to the table scraps cavs fans want to shovel to them :lol:
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Boardwalker
Junior
And1: 379

Post#48 » by Boardwalker » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:35 am

thinktellectual wrote:
Boardwalker wrote:
thinktellectual wrote:

Let me understand you correctly: are you saying that you actually believe that the Cavs can get Love without including Wiggins in the trade?????? If so, who on earth do you think the Cavs can scrape off their 33-win team that will actually make Minnesota want to trade Love?

I've been watching the NBA longer than you've been alive, but that's not the issue.

The issue here is that you are somehow under the misconception that only the Cavs can trade for Love, and that any offer that the Cavs make is better than all the other teams on the league. I have no idea how you've convinced yourself that those 2 things are true, but somehow you've done it.

Here's a news flash: without Wiggins, the offers from both the Warriors and the Bulls are better than what the Cavs can offer. In case you don't understand that, let me say it in a different way: The trade offers from the Warriors and Bulls are significantly better than any offer the Cavs can make if they don't include Lebron, Kyrie, or Wiggins in that offer.

Now why on earth would Minnesota accept a clearly inferior trade offer from the Cavs when they have better offers from other teams--other teams that Love has said he would also sign an extension with?
Boardwalker
Junior

Post#49 » by Boardwalker » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:39 am

NBA___Ughhh wrote:So like I said, I consider Waiters, Bennet, and two first rounders to be more than fair.

Why would Minnesota make that trade when they have significantly better offers from the Warriors and Bulls? (and probably the Nuggets too)
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,233

Post#50 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:50 am

Boardwalker wrote:
thinktellectual wrote:
Boardwalker wrote:

I've been watching the NBA longer than you've been alive, but that's not the issue.

The issue here is that you are somehow under the misconception that only the Cavs can trade for Love, and that any offer that the Cavs make is better than all the other teams on the league. I have no idea how you've convinced yourself that those 2 things are true, but somehow you've done it.

Here's a news flash: without Wiggins, the offers from both the Warriors and the Bulls are better than what the Cavs can offer. In case you don't understand that, let me say it in a different way: The trade offers from the Warriors and Bulls are significantly better than any offer the Cavs can make if they don't include Lebron, Kyrie, or Wiggins in that offer.

Now why on earth would Minnesota accept a clearly inferior trade offer from the Cavs when they have better offers from other teams--other teams that Love has said he would also sign an extension with?

And really any team that wants to take a chance has a shot. Whoever has him at the end of this season will hold his bird rights which is leverage some teams may be willing to gamble with. Even if it's not one of his "preferred" destinations. It's a long time until the trade deadline.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,600

Post#51 » by Son Goku 25 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:31 am

Give it up already Cavs, be happy you got Lebron lol
Read
NBA___Ughhh
Freshman

Post#52 » by NBA___Ughhh » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:03 am

Boardwalker wrote:
NBA___Ughhh wrote:So like I said, I consider Waiters, Bennet, and two first rounders to be more than fair.

Why would Minnesota make that trade when they have significantly better offers from the Warriors and Bulls? (and probably the Nuggets too)

If you had included the full quote from my post, you would have an answer. The offers from Chicago and Golden State would leave the T-Wolves middling for years, and in the case of a GS trade, spending wayyy too much for those kind of results. The Cavs trade would put them in a better position to rebuild.
NBA___Ughhh
Freshman

Post#53 » by NBA___Ughhh » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:11 am

miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#54 » by miltk » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:41 am

the wolves want wiggins....end of story.

he maintains all the hype. he will spike attendance. anything the bulls or gsw offer would be known quantities, and because wiggins is an unknown quantity, he can be as huge a star as the wolves can imagine him to be.
Cycklops
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#55 » by Cycklops » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:20 pm

Boardwalker wrote:I've been watching the NBA longer than you've been alive, but that's not the issue.

Here's a news flash: without Wiggins, the offers from both the Warriors and the Bulls are better than what the Cavs can offer.

The key factor here is that Kevin Love WANTS to go to the Cavaliers. For one reason or another, when a player makes a specific request to go to a certain team, it's very likely he will end up going to that team. Carmelo Anthony (and Stephon Marbury before him) both wanted to go to the Knicks, their teams ended up trading them to the Knicks. Kobe wanted to go to the Lakers as a rookie, the Hornets ended up trading him to the Lakers. Kareem wanted to go to the Lakers, the Bucks ended up trading him to the Lakers.

If you think a crappy return will stop this from happening when the player themselves wants it to happen, I don't think you remember the Vince Carter trade from Toronto. Let alone the Dwight Howard trade from a few years ago.
Boardwalker
Junior

Post#56 » by Boardwalker » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Cycklops wrote:
Boardwalker wrote:I've been watching the NBA longer than you've been alive, but that's not the issue.

Here's a news flash: without Wiggins, the offers from both the Warriors and the Bulls are better than what the Cavs can offer.

The key factor here is that Kevin Love WANTS to go to the Cavaliers. For one reason or another, when a player makes a specific request to go to a certain team, it's very likely he will end up going to that team. Carmelo Anthony (and Stephon Marbury before him) both wanted to go to the Knicks, their teams ended up trading them to the Knicks. Kobe wanted to go to the Lakers as a rookie, the Hornets ended up trading him to the Lakers. Kareem wanted to go to the Lakers, the Bucks ended up trading him to the Lakers.

If you think a crappy return will stop this from happening when the player themselves wants it to happen, I don't think you remember the Vince Carter trade from Toronto. Let alone the Dwight Howard trade from a few years ago.

He's also expressed interest in going to Chicago and the Warriors.
Cycklops
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#57 » by Cycklops » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Boardwalker wrote:
Cycklops wrote:

He's also expressed interest in going to Chicago and the Warriors.

The recent reports we're getting (from people other than Chris Broussard) are that Love has spoken to Lebron and wants to go to Cleveland.
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#58 » by Sinistar6 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:37 pm

I believe going forward the most attractive deal for the timberwolves by a very small margin is with the Cavs. (Also can we drop the timber from the wolves?)

Wiggins+Bennett+1st rounder/s+filler

Gives the wolves the number 1 picks from 2013/2014 to build around. Wiggins has best ceiling of any player (other than love in the draft). Bennett has looked like a pro in summer league. Picks would be low first rounder/s because of the King. The number 1 reason I like the Cav’s offer better than the bulls is Ricky Rubio. Having Zach LaVine and Wiggins on the wings with a magician like Rubio will make amazing. I predict the first ever flip alley-oop. This is where the NBA turns into slamball.

The reported Bulls offer is almost as enticing…I am a Chicago homer.
I applaud the Chicago front office for trying to capitalize on McMoney’s summer league performance. He is looking like he should have gone top 5 and they are trying to see if the Wolves will bite based on the hype. Mirotic is another lotto like talent and I would argue that he is currently viewed as a better prospect than Bennett (because of Bennett’s poor year and Mirotic’s Euro hype) Taj is counterproductive for the Wolves IMO, as he is just good and doesn’t have much more upside. He will help the wolves win which they do not want to do this year because they need to build around young talent. If I was the wolves I would push for Chicago’s first rounder instead of Taj. That way if DRose gets hurt again it will be a better pick than the Cavs.

As for the Golden State offer…
Gotta love Klay Thompson. I was watching his mix tape and It started with all his 3 pointers. I was like where are his springs? Doesn’t this guy have a number 1 pick genes?
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kla ... 9D6AF2D7B3
There is a huge shortage of good shooting guards right now and he is in the top 3. David Lee, meh.
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#59 » by johnnyballgame » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:24 pm

thinktellectual wrote:Cavs are idiots if they give up Wiggins for Love.
All they have to do is convince Love (through his agent) to tell GS and other suitors that he won't re-up with them.

Then they can get him for Bennett, Waiters and a few well protected picks.

Sounds like they are now saying this happened.
At least I've heard "Love requested a trade to Cleveland through his agent".
That doesn't really go as far as saying he won't resign with anyone else but surely rival GMs will read those tea leaves. Wolves still could choose to hold onto him til the deadline or for the entire year before making the deal just to be stubborn.

I'm certainly not guaranteeing any championship for the Cavs but what an offseason. Griffin is off to a ridiculous start to his career and most definitely lived up to his saying this would be a "monumental offseason".
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#60 » by johnnyballgame » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:32 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:
thinktellectual wrote:

Oh noes, they'll lose a player who has never helped them win for nothing, as opposed to the table scraps cavs fans want to shovel to them :lol:

Actually though, there's more at stake than you think. Flip Saunders actually gets a paycheck from the T-Wolves. He might want to keep getting it beyond this season. Losing the guy for nothing would likely be a big detriment to that. It's not just words on a screen. People are involved. People have emotions. People face pressures.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)

Return to Wiretap Discussion