Kansas Sold Wiggins On Filling McLemore's Spot

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kansas Sold Wiggins On Filling McLemore's Spot 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Kansas was initially considered a longshot to receive a commitment from Andrew Wiggins, even internally.

Wiggins visited the campus for Senior Night on March 4, where the Jayhawks also honored likely one-and-done redshirt freshman Ben McLemore.

“We always thought that our sell to him was, ‘You could step right in here and fill in and do exactly what Ben was doing last year, at even a different level,’” Kurtis Townsend said. “I think it was a pretty good sell for him.”

Bill Self thought Wiggins' visit improved their odds in landing him.

“After he left here, I felt like we were in the game and had a shot,” Self said.

Via Austin Meek/Topeka Capital-Journal

TheWire
Senior
And1: 889

Re: Kansas Sold Wiggins On Filling McLemore's Spot 

Post#2 » by TheWire » Mon May 20, 2013 4:24 pm

is Self sure it wasnt due to the fact that there were factors at the other schools that gave Wiggins 10x more pressure to live up to expectations.

Seems to me Wiggins shied away from Greatness.
staticcc
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#3 » by staticcc » Mon May 20, 2013 6:32 pm

TheWire wrote:is Self sure it wasnt due to the fact that there were factors at the other schools that gave Wiggins 10x more pressure to live up to expectations.

What are you talking about?? In Kansas, he'll be the man, the go to guy, the lone superstar. If he went to Kentucky and UNC, he would have more help than in Kansas. Pressure will be very high in FSU and Kansas because he'll be expected to carry the team. In UK and UNC, he would just be one of the many stars.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#4 » by Donnyxc » Mon May 20, 2013 8:22 pm

TheWire wrote:

No. He actually did the opposite. He's going to a school with a solid history of basketball commitment/success. He can develop his skills as a Star and Team player. He's joining two other stud recruits, one a 7-footer, another a very solid guard. That will all give him a better chance at winning the NCAA Tourney. Winning achieves Greatness.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
604rapsfan
Ballboy
And1: 18

Post#5 » by 604rapsfan » Mon May 20, 2013 9:24 pm

TheWire wrote:is Self sure it wasnt due to the fact that there were factors at the other schools that gave Wiggins 10x more pressure to live up to expectations.

Not sure if you're aware, but Kansas basketball is huge. Kinda like Yankees baseball, Montreal Canadiens hockey or Packers football. It's one of the biggest stages in college basketball with a passionate following and a rich history. Oh, and basketball was invented at Kansas U.
- Not your average ballboy - Student of the game - Raps fan since '95 -
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#6 » by willywazza » Mon May 20, 2013 11:33 pm

Kansas has an excellent basketball program and he'll get more pressure there by being arguably the lone star.
RxOxP
Junior
And1: 114

Post#7 » by RxOxP » Tue May 21, 2013 12:08 am

Ahm... How is being a lone star compared to being among other top recruits shying away from greatness. Lol.

604rapsfan wrote:

Not sure if you're aware, but Kansas basketball is huge. Kinda like Yankees baseball, Montreal Canadiens hockey or Packers football. It's one of the biggest stages in college basketball with a passionate following and a rich history. Oh, and basketball was invented at Kansas U.

Its spelled Canadians not Canadiens whatever that is and basketball was also invented by one too :D
ImageRaptors Fan For Life Image
604rapsfan
Ballboy

Post#8 » by 604rapsfan » Tue May 21, 2013 1:09 am

RxOxP wrote:
TheWire wrote:Its spelled Canadians not Canadiens whatever that is and basketball was also invented by one too :D

HAHAHAHA..if you're going to correct someone on the internet, double check to make sure you're right before you click submit.

And yes, I am aware that Dr. James Naismith is Canadian. Basketball was invented by him, at Kansas U.

Thanks for coming out. :lol:
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant
And1: 934

Post#9 » by Bravenewworld » Tue May 21, 2013 8:44 am

So you've been reamed enough for your comments, but... eh... im gonna do it some more for the simple reason that you should not be commenting on basketball at all if you are making the comments you are currently making.

Dr. James Naismith created the game of basketball around 1891-2 at a YMCA in Springfield Mass. It gained some popularity as a quick pick up game and grew.

In 1898 Naismith moved to Lawrence Kansas and was hired as a professor for Kansas University. This same time KU decided to create a basketball team with Naismith as the head coach, thus creating one of the first official basketball teams in history. During this time he also wrote the official rules of basketball and after a recent private auction, those rules are now back at their proper home, Kansas University.

Naismith coached KU for a total of 9 seasons. Funny enough, his ending record when leaving KU was 55 wins and 60 losses and in 115 years of KU basketball history he is the only KU head coach who has an overall losing record.

Phog Allen, Adolph Rupp, John McLendon, Dean Smith, Dutch Lonborg, Larry Brown, Roy Williams. All came from KU before going on to their respective programs and making them legendary programs.
Of course you have players like Clyde Lovellette, Wilt Chamberlain, Jo Jo White, Danny Manning, Paul Pierce that also came from KU.

KU has 5 national titles, 56 conference championships, and KU has missed the tournament once in the past 30 years.
Between 2002-2012 KU had been to 3 national championship games, 9 straight conference championships and they have had over 20 players drafted into the NBA.

So basically he went to a program that essentially created the game of basketball as we know it, was so great that it expanded out to help create other great programs (UNC, UK, You're welcome guys). And in its recent history has held a level of excellence that practically no other team has been able to maintain, let alone reach for one season.

This upcoming season for KU he will be playing with a group of tourney experienced role players, a great point guard who is expected to break assist records, and will be coming in with the number 1 ranked center and 3 (or 4 i cant remember) other 4 star recruits. They are arguably the best draft class and with the players from last year, they are already considered at least a final four team.

So please, dont say he "shied away from greatness" since he seemed to put himself on the highest pedestal (and best chance to win a title) he possibly could have.

Class is over, hope you learned something.
RxOxP
Junior

Post#10 » by RxOxP » Tue May 21, 2013 9:06 am

604rapsfan wrote:
RxOxP wrote:
TheWire wrote:Its spelled Canadians not Canadiens whatever that is and basketball was also invented by one too :D

HAHAHAHA..if you're going to correct someone on the internet, double check to make sure you're right before you click submit.

And yes, I am aware that Dr. James Naismith is Canadian. Basketball was invented by him, at Kansas U.

I am right ...How can you really spell it different than we do and act like you're right when its our country. Smh

scrubbed
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#11 » by jimmy keys » Tue May 21, 2013 3:38 pm

RxOxP wrote:
604rapsfan wrote:
RxOxP wrote:

I am rightHow can you really spell it different than we do and act like you're right when its our country. Smh

Please stop embarrassing yourself and by extension all Canadians. It's spelled Canadiens, as in the French word for Canadians. The Montreal Canadiens are a French-Canadian hockey team, based in wait for it....French speaking Canada (i.e La Belle Province de Quebec).

I learnt how to speak both languages, fluently, like all Canadians should. Our country has 2 official languages just so you know.

scrubbed
sunster
Junior
And1: 7

Post#12 » by sunster » Tue May 21, 2013 3:54 pm

jimmy keys wrote:
RxOxP wrote:
604rapsfan wrote:

I am right. How can you really spell it different than we do and act like you're right when its our country. Smh

Please stop embarrassing yourself and by extension all Canadians. It's spelled Canadiens, as in the French word for Canadians. The Montreal Canadiens are a French-Canadian hockey team, based in wait for it....French speaking Canada (i.e La Belle Province de Quebec).

Are younger Canadians really this dumb? I learnt how to speak both languages, fluently, like all Canadians should. Our country has 2 official languages just so you know.

Owned.
604rapsfan
Ballboy

Post#13 » by 604rapsfan » Wed May 22, 2013 2:24 am

RxOxP wrote:
604rapsfan wrote:
RxOxP wrote:

I am right stupid...How can you really spell it different than we do and act like you're right when its our country. Smh

scrubbed

Lol wow. Thanks for the laugh, I really needed that. Not even sure why I'm wasting my time here, but I'm interested in seeing what you reply with this time. Though I'm kinda beginning to think you're trolling haha. In case you're not, a few things:

1. I'm Canadian and have lived in Canada my whole life.
2. You're actually not right Lol
3. Go to the Montreal Canadiens website. Take a look at how they spell the word. Let me know. K thanks bye.
RxOxP
Junior

Post#14 » by RxOxP » Wed May 22, 2013 4:01 am

604rapsfan wrote:
RxOxP wrote:
604rapsfan wrote:

I am right stupid...How can you really spell it different than we do and act like you're right when its our country. Smh

scrubbed

Lol wow. Thanks for the laugh, I really needed that. Not even sure why I'm wasting my time here, but I'm interested in seeing what you reply with this time. Though I'm kinda beginning to think you're trolling haha. In case you're not, a few things:

1. I'm Canadian and have lived in Canada my whole life.
2. You're actually not right, Lol
3. Go to the Montreal Canadiens website. Take a look at how they spell the word. Let me know. K thanks bye.

You're both wrong... My great grandfather invented the word.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#15 » by FNQ » Wed May 22, 2013 6:43 am

This is all very productive, but back on topic please.

Also, if I edit your posts to remove insults or trolling, and you put it back, I will just delete the post its in entirety and warn/suspend you. Only warning fellas, keep it civil. And preferably about Wiggins or KU

Return to Wiretap Discussion