Warriors Willing To Pay Tax Next Season, No Longer Searching For Blockbuster Move

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Warriors Willing To Pay Tax Next Season, No Longer Searching For Blockbuster Move 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 20, 2013 11:28 pm

The Golden State Warriors have never paid the luxury tax, but their strong showing in the 2013 NBA Playoffs further confirms the new ownership's willingness to consider it.

"When you start from a place of winning, you may venture into the tax if it does help you win and it’s worth it," said Bob Myers. "But you have to be smart about it, you have to be prudent about it.

"But we’ve shown last year–I can tell you, it was a decision we made with Carl Landry, with his signing, and re-acquiring Brandon Rush. Do we want to go into the tax? And the dialogue our front office had with our ownership was, 'Are you comfortable going into the tax? And we cannot promise that we’ll be able to get out of the tax.'

"And ownership answered in the affirmative. “Go, if you think Cal Landry and Brandon Rush are going to be important to this team, go get ‘em.”

"I imagine it’ll be the same directive this summer."

The Warriors also have appeared to move beyond the desire to make a major franchise altering move. Golden State pursued a trade for Chris Paul in December of 2011.

"I think a sense desperation has passed," said Myers.

"I think that–whereas when you’re trying to do anything to get over the hump you do sometimes chase things that may be difficult to acquire. Whereas now, doesn’t mean we’re satisfied, it doesn’t mean we think our work is through, but we can be prudent and patient with opportunities as they come along."

Via Tim Kawakami/San Jose Mercury News

willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Re: Warriors Willing To Pay Tax Next Season, No Longer Searc 

Post#2 » by willywazza » Mon May 20, 2013 11:36 pm

Dubs are committed to winning, this is good news!
UGotThrilled
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#3 » by UGotThrilled » Mon May 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Luxury Tax wouldn't be too bad if you didn't go too far in to the tax, and you only pay it for one or two years. Admittedly, it is not my money, but it seems that GS has more to gain in keeping a winning team around than they have to lose by paying the tax. And after one year, they will get huge relief as Biedrins and Jefferson come off the books, and Bogut can be resigned for a lower amount.
Rai
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Rai » Tue May 21, 2013 2:11 am

This is the big difference between the management of this team and Dallas. Dallas did not retain their team that won them a championship and look where they are now.
cs hauser
Suspended
And1: 75

Post#5 » by cs hauser » Tue May 21, 2013 4:08 am

Rai wrote:This is the big difference between the management of this team and Dallas. Dallas did not retain their team that won them a championship and look where they are now.

Yeah sure... because Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, and Tyson Chandler have been playing sooooo well this season that Mark Cuban looks foolish for not giving them 4-year contracts.

Amiright?
StickAndMove
Junior
And1: 14

Post#6 » by StickAndMove » Tue May 21, 2013 4:22 pm

cs hauser wrote:
Rai wrote:This is the big difference between the management of this team and Dallas. Dallas did not retain their team that won them a championship and look where they are now.

Yeah sure... because Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, and Tyson Chandler have been playing sooooo well this season that Mark Cuban looks foolish for not giving them 4-year contracts.

Amiright?

Cuban made the right decision by blowing that team up, and I think he's a good owner. He looked foolish for not re-signing Steve Nash in '04 though. That was a terrible mistake.

On-Topic: The Warriors might want to get under the tax soon, so they don't have to get under while Curry & Thompson are in their prime.
Stuckey Stuckey! Five Dolla!

Return to Wiretap Discussion