Howard Deciding Between Lakers, Rockets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Howard Deciding Between Lakers, Rockets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed May 22, 2013 2:41 am

Dwight Howard is currently torn between re-signing with the Los Angeles Lakers and joining the Houston Rockets in unrestricted free agency, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Howard's displeasure with Mike D'Antoni became known on Tuesday in a report from ESPN. During his exit interview with Mitch Kupchak, Howard reportedly said that he was frustrated with how D'Antoni used him and that he wasn't treated like a team leader the way he did with Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash.

Near the end of the regular season, all signs had pointed toward Howard re-signing with the Lakers.

Via Sam Amick/USA Today

RxOxP
Junior
And1: 114

Re: Howard Deciding Between Lakers, Rockets 

Post#2 » by RxOxP » Wed May 22, 2013 3:59 am

Join the Bearded One and let the OKC vs Houston rivalry begin.
ImageRaptors Fan For Life Image
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#3 » by A BETTER DJ » Wed May 22, 2013 4:58 am

Dwight, please go to Houston so I can start loving the Lakers again!
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
CreoleTiger
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#4 » by CreoleTiger » Wed May 22, 2013 7:08 am

I think the Rockets are a good fit for Howard but I don't believe he's seriously considering them. He knows he's re-signing with the Lakers. He should stop toying with Houston and its fan base end Dwightmare 2.0 before it begins.
chino_xl
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by chino_xl » Wed May 22, 2013 1:28 pm

If they can land Dwight, JJ Hickson and maybe a trade with the assets they have for a 1 or 2... Nice looking squad. Lots of potential already... Jeremy Lin should be coming off the bench.
azncorruptedo17
Starter
And1: 222

Post#6 » by azncorruptedo17 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:36 pm

here we go again...
Clipper fan since '95!!
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#7 » by The59Sound » Wed May 22, 2013 4:32 pm

I think Howard is a pathetic crybaby who is too weak mentally to ever fulfill his athletic potential and not be poisonous to his team.

That said, it's unfair (in my opinion) to call this a redux of the Dwightmare. He's not forcing his way out of anywhere. He's an unrestricted free agent, and has every right to weigh his options and/or use the threat of leaving as leverage to get what he wants.

It seems likely that Vinny Del Negro was fired to keep a free agent Chris Paul happy, and I don't hear a lot of criticism about that. This is the one time (in free agency), in my opinion, when it's okay for a player to throw their weight around. And then once you've signed on the dotted line, shut the hell up and do your job.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
KobeDwightPau
Banned User
And1: 369

Post#8 » by KobeDwightPau » Wed May 22, 2013 7:52 pm

He should go to houston. Why play with an **** laker team.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#9 » by Donnyxc » Wed May 22, 2013 8:08 pm

The59Sound wrote:I think Howard is a pathetic crybaby who is too weak mentally to ever fulfill his athletic potential and not be poisonous to his team.

That said, it's unfair (in my opinion) to call this a redux of the Dwightmare. He's not forcing his way out of anywhere. He's an unrestricted free agent, and has every right to weigh his options and/or use the threat of leaving as leverage to get what he wants.

It seems likely that Vinny Del Negro was fired to keep a free agent Chris Paul happy, and I don't hear a lot of criticism about that. This is the one time (in free agency), in my opinion, when it's okay for a player to throw their weight around. And then once you've signed on the dotted line, shut the hell up and do your job.

I think you're right about Howard's personality, but wrong about him being too weak mentally to fulfill his athletic potential. If he's on a team that assuages his Ego, and he's healthy, he'll perform very well. It HAS to be the type of environment where he's "The Guy". Not saying it's a good thing. But in a place like Houston, that could work. You pair him with a laid back personality (And insanely talented) player like James Harden, you could see him getting back to his Orlando form. Now, Orlando didn't do a great job bringing him the pieces to be successful, but man did they do all they could to assuage his ego. Which is why he was such a dominant player.

I also share the sentiment on the lack of criticism of CP3 for the firing of Del Negro. But that's another story.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
StarneyBinston
Junior
And1: 41

Post#10 » by StarneyBinston » Wed May 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Just a precision: Del Negro was not fired; his contract had ended, and he was just not re-hired.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#11 » by imagump1313 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:52 pm

It's a catch-22 with Howard... He plays best if he is "the" guy but no team is going to win if he is their "guy"
JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Post#12 » by JohnVancouver » Wed May 22, 2013 11:14 pm

Reported, no named source, by ESPN - also reported, Mitch Kupchak stating he would never discuss a coach with a player: "I would never let it go there."
So - who do you believe
"Deng and Mozgov was some 1980s Clippers sh*t. So, so dumb" - Sedale Threatt

"If you can't get banned for threatening to rape a mod, what can you get banned for?" Jigga_Man/2013

"Everybody love Everybody." - Jackie Moon
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#13 » by FNQ » Thu May 23, 2013 6:19 am

JohnVancouver wrote:Reported, no named source, by ESPN - also reported, Mitch Kupchak stating he would never discuss a coach with a player: "I would never let it go there."
So - who do you believe

Stories just don't grow legs like this w/o a reason. What's Kupchak supposed to say? 'Yes, my big offseason acquisition has a problem with the coach that I hired during the season while rejecting Phil Jackson' ?

Return to Wiretap Discussion