Source: Chris Wallace Emerges As Frontrunner For Kings GM Job

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Source: Chris Wallace Emerges As Frontrunner For Kings GM Job 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 31, 2013 3:04 pm

Chris Wallace is the frontrunner for the now vacant Sacramento Kings general manager position, according to sources close to the process.

Wallace met with Vivek Ranadive this week and the interview went well enough that it stretched into a second day.

Wallace is close with Jerry West, who has been counseling Ranadive on his early moves with the Kings.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Re: Source: Chris Wallace Emerges As Frontrunner For Kings G 

Post#2 » by sonictecture » Fri May 31, 2013 4:21 pm

Chris Wallace works in Sacramento if Ranadive can also convince Jerry West to leave Golden St. and be the major decision maker with Wallace doing the everyday grunt work, but on his own, Wallace should be questioned for a history poor planning, an inability to strengthen weaknesses, a weak draft record and questionable risk analysis.

The fans in Sacramento have suffered long and fought hard to keep the team, they deserve more than just Wallace as a decision maker.

As a side note it is very unusual to hire a head coach after you hire a general manager. Who is deciding the direction of the franchise?
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,511

Post#3 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri May 31, 2013 5:25 pm

sonictecture wrote:As a side note it is very unusual to hire a head coach after you hire a general manager. Who is deciding the direction of the franchise?

You mean it's unusual to hire a head coach BEFORE you hire a GM? Yeah, but they were afraid that Malone would be gone if they waited anymore. Plus, I'm sure he's talked to potental GMs and got their feelings on him before hand.
phanieldung
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#4 » by phanieldung » Fri May 31, 2013 5:49 pm

Agreed. I feel like the hiring of Malone before hiring a new GM had a lot to do with the Clippers strong interest in also getting Malone as a head coach
Dolphin Lips
Pro Prospect
And1: 48

Post#5 » by Dolphin Lips » Fri May 31, 2013 7:58 pm

Biggie Smalls making a comeback??
STOP STEALING MY AVATARS

ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#6 » by ICMTM » Fri May 31, 2013 8:31 pm

sonictecture wrote:The fans in Sacramento have suffered long and fought hard to keep the team, they deserve more than just Wallace as a decision maker.

I'll bite. Elaborate on what we deserve?
KANGZZZZZ!
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by sonictecture » Fri May 31, 2013 9:11 pm

ICMTM wrote:
sonictecture wrote:The fans in Sacramento have suffered long and fought hard to keep the team, they deserve more than just Wallace as a decision maker.

I'll bite. Elaborate on what we deserve?

Sacramento fans deserve what they had when Geoff Petrie still cared. They deserve a RC Buford, Sam Presti decision maker who will show absolute loyalty to the market while bringing in a culture of winning based on sustainability through hard work and personal humility. A decision maker who takes the system presented and finds ways to make it work for a small market team through innovation and outworking his competition.

Kings fans deserve more than Chris Wallace alone is capable of delivering.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#8 » by FNQ » Sat Jun 1, 2013 12:01 am

I think Chris Wallace has been a solid GM where he's gone... he's not RC Buford, but he never was going to leave SA. And its better than Chris Mullin, who was supposedly an option too.

As for hiring a HC before a GM, I think its weird we're hearing about who the Kings want in free agency and who they want to trade before they have a GM. Having an owner tinker with the roster this early in can't bode well. This is a relatively new ownership group, they should be taking their time instead of rushing. IMO you'll be able to tell a lot about them this offseason. There's a rumor that they hired Malone on the condition of trading Cousins. They are also rumored to be interested in Monta. And what about Tyreke?

A: trade him, pass on him, ink him. If they knock out all 3 I'd be worried about Sac in a couple of years
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,511

Post#9 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Jun 1, 2013 12:08 am

None of those sources have proven to mean anything yet. If Lebron says he likes Malone as a coach, should we assume he's coming to Sacramento when he opts out?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#10 » by FNQ » Sat Jun 1, 2013 12:42 am

lol who said I believe them? Who said anyone believed them? But they are out there, and its very unusual to see smoke without some sort of fire. Is it possible Malone joined on the condition of a Cousins trade? Unlikely. Rarely happens in sports. But is it possible that Malone does not like Cousins' current attitude and asked Vivek and Co for a say in whether or not Cousins is traded? Absolutely.

Reductive reasoning not needed to make the point that sources and rumors are sources and rumors
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by sonictecture » Sat Jun 1, 2013 3:53 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:I think Chris Wallace has been a solid GM where he's gone... he's not RC Buford, but he never was going to leave SA. And its better than Chris Mullin, who was supposedly an option too.

I wasn't suggesting that Ranadive could pry Buford or Presti away, I was suggesting that those individuals represent a type of decision maker that should be targeted. Someone with a clear plan to execute for team building, someone loyal to ownership and the community and someone who demonstrates innovation beyond attempting to throw the owners money at challenges.

Wallace represents a guy with a one year plan that is reevaluated each year, Buford and Presti have 10 year sustainable plans that are continuously refined. Buford and Presti know the type of players they are looking for each year and Wallace typically takes a stab at random players to see how they might fit. Buford and Presti put an emphasis on career player development after a player is required, Wallace leaves it up to the coaching staff.

Return to Wiretap Discussion