Rockets Receive 'Hopeful Signals' Of Dwight Howard's Interest

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Rockets Receive 'Hopeful Signals' Of Dwight Howard's Interest 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 31, 2013 3:30 pm

The Houston Rockets have received "hopeful signals" that Dwight Howard is genuinely considering signing with the team in free agency, according to sources.

Howard has conveyed interest in joining James Harden with the Rockets.

Sources say Howard will make in-person recruiting visits to the Rockets and Dallas Mavericks once free agency begins.

Howard may add other teams to the list.

The Los Angeles Lakers can offer a five-year deal worth $120 million to Howard, though their financial advantage isn't as significant as it seems due to the absence of state taxes in Texas.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Re: Rockets Receive 'Hopeful Signals' Of Dwight Howard's Int 

Post#2 » by A BETTER DJ » Fri May 31, 2013 3:51 pm

Add in lower cost of living with no taxes and Houston looks way better than LA.
Plus add in the traffic in LA- it doesn't matter how much money you make, unless you are in a helicopter you get stuck in the same traffic jams that the poor people do. I've been in every state but Alaska and the traffic is definitely the worst in LA!
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
Enemy
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Enemy » Fri May 31, 2013 5:21 pm

I think Asik is fine and brings no drama for the Rockets. And I feel they should concentrate on acquiring another scorer and a lockdown perimeter defender.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#4 » by DEEP3CL » Fri May 31, 2013 5:28 pm

A BETTER DJ wrote:Add in lower cost of living with no taxes and Houston looks way better than LA.
Plus add in the traffic in LA- it doesn't matter how much money you make, unless you are in a helicopter you get stuck in the same traffic jams that the poor people do. I've been in every state but Alaska and the traffic is definitely the worst in LA!
Oh please stop, if you plan your time you can move around LA in a timely fashion. I've been here all my life and don't have a problem getting from spot to spot here.

And when are guys gonna gain an ounce of common sense and stop trying to overhype the state tax BS. He still gonna give up that money the minute he sets foot back in California for games period. Plus it's the Federal Tax that will whack him in the wallet no matter what city he calls home.

My whole stance on Howard is this, if all these so called media reports are true then why wait for July 1st if it's a definite that you're gone ? Just say you're not going back to LA and Laker fans ( the one's that are worried ) and the franchise can just move on.

One thing for sure, I don't want no sign and trade. I'd rather gain the possible cap space his slot will open up. More money for the summer of 2014 anyway.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#5 » by Goldtop » Fri May 31, 2013 6:51 pm

A BETTER DJ wrote:Plus add in the traffic in LA- it doesn't matter how much money you make, unless you are in a helicopter you get stuck in the same traffic jams that the poor people do.

What do you think rich ppl get their own expressways in other cities? :lol:
Ron Anderson
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#6 » by Ron Anderson » Fri May 31, 2013 7:22 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
A BETTER DJ wrote:Add in lower cost of living with no taxes and Houston looks way better than LA.
Oh please stop, if you plan your time you can move around LA in a timely fashion. I've been here all my life and don't have a problem getting from spot to spot here.

And when are guys gonna gain an ounce of common sense and stop trying to overhype the state tax BS. He still gonna give up that money the minute he sets foot back in California for games period. Plus it's the Federal Tax that will whack him in the wallet no matter what city he calls home.

My whole stance on Howard is this, if all these so called media reports are true then why wait for July 1st if it's a definite that you're gone ? Just say you're not going back to LA and Laker fans ( the one's that are worried ) and the franchise can just move on.

One thing for sure, I don't want no sign and trade. I'd rather gain the possible cap space his slot will open up. More money for the summer of 2014 anyway.

Don't forget the UNGODLY SMOG!!! which could shorten his career by 2-4 yrs
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#7 » by DEEP3CL » Fri May 31, 2013 9:50 pm

Ron Anderson wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:

Dude that so called smog hasn't been a problem here for years.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#8 » by FNQ » Fri May 31, 2013 11:55 pm

Ron Anderson wrote:

Reference point: Houston is the #7 smoggiest city in the US according to CBS. They've been at #1 before too.

Not listed in the top 10 of smoggiest cities the past decade: Atlanta, San Francisco.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by FNQ » Fri May 31, 2013 11:57 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:Don't forget the UNGODLY SMOG!!! which could shorten his career by 2-4 yrs
Dude that so called smog hasn't been a problem here for years.[/quote]

LA was #3 in 2011, and then repeated as champs in 2013 after their comeback win in 2012. They haven't left the top 10 this decade.
Ron Anderson
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#10 » by Ron Anderson » Sat Jun 1, 2013 2:48 pm

aww, I was just being sarcastic and just about every major city is going to have a good amount of pollution. I don't think it's going to shorten a player's career either :lol: , but as far as taxes go you would be surprised how much that matters ppl are greedy and every dime counts.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#11 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Jun 1, 2013 3:55 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:
LA was #3 in 2011, and then repeated as champs in 2013 after their comeback win in 2012. They haven't left the top 10 this decade.
Bogus report as far as I'm concerned. I remember how it was back in the days and this present day doesn't come close. A lot of that was do to the oil refineries here in the southern part of LA, But now their operating under state laws to control the emissions that comes from production.

And last I remember Texas has wayyyyy more refineries than Cali does.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by FNQ » Sat Jun 1, 2013 9:50 pm

These are reports from special companies designed to figure these things out, they have no reason to lie. Though I dont know how they determine these types of things
PNL
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#13 » by PNL » Tue Jun 4, 2013 9:10 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:And when are guys gonna gain an ounce of common sense and stop trying to overhype the state tax BS. He still gonna give up that money the minute he sets foot back in California for games period. Plus it's the Federal Tax that will whack him in the wallet no matter what city he calls home.

He will still give up 'that money' the minute he sets foot back in California, but that's for only a maximum of 8 games in the NBA season (Kings, Warriors, Clippers, Laker two times a year, which I don't believe is possible), while he would not be paying state taxes for 46 games (42 games in Houston, 4 in Dallas/San Antonio).

Forbes did the numbers already, and the amount saved over the first 4 years is 8 million in favor of Houston, given both of teams maxes.

Not paying taxes at all isn't the problem, paying the highest state taxes in the nation in addition to federal taxes is what makes the difference, which is hardly 'overhyped.'

Return to Wiretap Discussion