Dwight Wants To See How Each Team Plans On Winning

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dwight Wants To See How Each Team Plans On Winning 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jun 2, 2013 5:36 pm

Dwight Howard is a free agent this offseason for the first time in his career and is widely expected to decide between the Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks and Atlanta Hawks.

"It's free agency and I have the opportunity to choose where I'm going to play," said Howard. "God opens doors, and I'm relying on my faith to direct me.

"I don't think it's fair I get criticized for waiting on such an opportunity."

Howard was asked what he wants in a team.

"I want to win; I've done everything else," he said. "I just want to win."

Howard also spoke warmly about Mike D'Antoni, though he did seem to express his feelings in the past tense.

"He's a great person and I'm glad we had the opportunity to be together," said Howard.

Howard will make in-person visits to each of the teams interested in signing him.

"I want to see what each opportunity offers," Howard said. "I want to see how people plan on winning."

Via T.J. Simers/Los Angeles Times

BirdmanPresents
Analyst
And1: 799

Re: Dwight Wants To See How Each Team Plans On Winning 

Post#2 » by BirdmanPresents » Sun Jun 2, 2013 5:54 pm

If I'm a team that plans on winning I'm not interested in Howard...He's more whiner than winner.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#3 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun Jun 2, 2013 7:05 pm

BirdmanPresents wrote:If I'm a team that plans on winning I'm not interested in Howard...He's more whiner than winner.

And injured far to often and really not big enough to match up with bigger guys like Hibbert who might just make it to a finals in the future.

I have reservations on his being the center for a championship team given his horrid free throw shooting and he is not a spring chicken anymore. You really need to surround him with 3 point shooters and someone like Dirk would give him a major weapon to use in drawing away the other teams bigs so if he wants to win sooner than later DFW is the place to go. He needs to make it clear that is were he wants to go or Dallas will just ignore the opportunity and go after someone else. There is no more using Cubans money as a tool to get a bigger pay day after we draft a center with 13. If that happens it probably means Dallas is tired of getting jerked around by the big free agents using us for leverage. Personally speaking I'd rather spend less on a center and invest it more at other positions. Marion Howard and Dirk can be awesome but they still need a PG and SG that can draw some attention. Calderon would be cool if he played better D so if we added him we'd need to snag Allen away from Memphis. Or we could get a PG that plays D and not need to do that,
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#4 » by sonictecture » Sun Jun 2, 2013 7:14 pm

I want to see how Dwight plans on winning.

Will Dwight work diligently and be amendable to coaching, with he accept accountability for himself, will he look to lead and make others better even if it means less initial adulation?
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Sun Jun 2, 2013 7:16 pm

He's flying to each city to meet with the teams. I thought each team interested flies a group of representatives (i.e owners, G\Ms, coaches) to his LA home to pitch. But Howard's choices clearly do not represent a will to win. If I'm correct , Portland will also have max-level cap room to sign him. Portland may be a smaller market than the other teams on his list but they have one of the best attendance records for home games and play in one of the largest venues amongst all nba teams. A core of lillard, batum, aldridge and howard would be an instant contender in the west and a probable favorite to beat the heat because of there strengths in the front line and the point guard position. Owner Paul allen unlike other small market owners is not afraid of paying the luxury tax for a contending squad. I think he's actually one of the owners in the league to pay the most tax since the system was established. He paid a lot during the jail blazers era. Howard is a phony, he will re-up with LA. He's just using his free agency as leverage to have autonomy over the lakers' roster and coaching decisions.
rocketseagles07
Junior
And1: 1

Post#6 » by rocketseagles07 » Sun Jun 2, 2013 7:34 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:
BirdmanPresents wrote:If I'm a team that plans on winning I'm not interested in Howard...He's more whiner than winner.

And injured far to often and really not big enough to match up with bigger guys like Hibbert who might just make it to a finals in the future.

I have reservations on his being the center for a championship team given his horrid free throw shooting and he is not a spring chicken anymore. You really need to surround him with 3 point shooters and someone like Dirk would give him a major weapon to use in drawing away the other teams bigs so if he wants to win sooner than later DFW is the place to go. He needs to make it clear that is were he wants to go or Dallas will just ignore the opportunity and go after someone else. There is no more using Cubans money as a tool to get a bigger pay day after we draft a center with 13. If that happens it probably means Dallas is tired of getting jerked around by the big free agents using us for leverage. Personally speaking I'd rather spend less on a center and invest it more at other positions. Marion Howard and Dirk can be awesome but they still need a PG and SG that can draw some attention. Calderon would be cool if he played better D so if we added him we'd need to snag Allen away from Memphis. Or we could get a PG that plays D and not need to do that,

Not big enough to match with guys like hibbert? Really. Dwight is 6'11 265 and his athletcism more than makes up for the couple inches in difference. Hibbert is good, but don't let the playoffs and miami's small lineup fool you, he still averaged 12 ppg this year. Also, I might be biased as a rockets fan but I don't see why he would go anywhere but LA or Houston. Why go to Dallas and play with and old team thats not going to win a ring anyways? Makes no sense...
rocketseagles07
Junior

Post#7 » by rocketseagles07 » Sun Jun 2, 2013 7:40 pm

Sam195 wrote:He's flying to each city to meet with the teams. I thought each team interested flies a group of representatives (i.e owners, G\Ms, coaches) to his LA home to pitch. But Howard's choices clearly do not represent a will to win. If I'm correct , Portland will also have max-level cap room to sign him. Portland may be a smaller market than the other teams on his list but they have one of the best attendance records for home games and play in one of the largest venues amongst all nba teams. A core of lillard, batum, aldridge and howard would be an instant contender in the west and a probable favorite to beat the heat because of there strengths in the front line and the point guard position. Owner Paul allen unlike other small market owners is not afraid of paying the luxury tax for a contending squad. I think he's actually one of the owners in the league to pay the most tax since the system was established. He paid a lot during the jail blazers era. Howard is a phony, he will re-up with LA. He's just using his free agency as leverage to have autonomy over the lakers' roster and coaching decisions.

The trailblazers only have 9 players and 4 starters under contract. They also have 44 mil due... they can't afford howard w/out making moves...
kobe48306
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#8 » by kobe48306 » Sun Jun 2, 2013 8:11 pm

I am so glad the Boston Celtics are not on his list. I do not want his whiny a@@ on my team. I wouldn't offer him a contract for any amount of money.
SteveNizzy
Junior
And1: 8

Post#9 » by SteveNizzy » Sun Jun 2, 2013 8:41 pm

sure hope he doesnt join houston
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#10 » by NikolaPekovic » Sun Jun 2, 2013 10:04 pm

MDA isnt going anywhere. They are still paying mike brown so i dont see them firing him anytime soon.

The lakers have shown they are not committed to dwight by the coach they chose, so why should he commit to them?

Daryl Morey has also shown he is one of the best gms in the league, kevin mchale could mentor dwight on the post, hakeem could also help him out.

Houston makes the most sense for him to create a new legacy with harden.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#11 » by NikolaPekovic » Sun Jun 2, 2013 10:05 pm

He's still the best center in the league, and if you put him in an environment where he could succeed (anywhere but the lakers) he could get back there.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#12 » by inquisitive » Sun Jun 2, 2013 10:44 pm

Darryl Morey already has finished his powerpoint presentation slides...he will be picking up Howard at the airport.. :wink:

seriously, rockets will tell howard about having him in the post with plays designed for him under mchale...going inside first...this will be their selling point since MDA is different....they will also let howard know about really developing his low post moves under mchale and dawson.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Maxamilla
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#13 » by Maxamilla » Sun Jun 2, 2013 11:45 pm

Well...so many signs that Dwight is gonna be Rocket next season.
A part of me is glad as I really dont see him being the main guy in LA. I think the Rockets offer him a great young lineup where he doesnt have to be the focus star and I genuinely think they will dominate with him and Harden. There IS the outside chance of him and Chris Paul in Atlanta...but I dont really see him and Paul gelling.
I am interested to see how the Lakers do this year and what they now do going forward.
TexasLaker
Ballboy

Post#14 » by TexasLaker » Mon Jun 3, 2013 1:28 am

You can't blame Howard for wanting to explore what will be his best option. Also, it seems like the Lakers front office and fan base have not exactly warmed to Howard and welcomed him. Kobe's day #1 pronouncement that "this is my team" didn't help matters either. They've made decisions (such as the D'Antoni hire) that are not in the best interests of keeping Dwight long term. To me that's a huge mistake, but it's an opportunity for other clubs.

As much as I hate to say it, I think Houston makes the most sense for Dwight. They're ready to win and they'll be far less critical in their media and fan base and much more welcoming. Look for Howard to be an absolute beast next year after recovering 100% from the back surgery. Lakers fans who are ambivalent about Howard now will be seriously bummed next season. At least to some degree they'll have themselves to blame.
kobe48306
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#15 » by kobe48306 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 2:24 am

Howard the best center in the league? That is the funniest thing I have heard today. Thanks for the laugh. Just off the top, Marc Gasol is better, Noah is better (much bigger heart,) and Hibbert has developed more. Dwight is still the same Dwight he was when he entered the league. He has made absolutely no improvement is his game.
rocketseagles07
Junior

Post#16 » by rocketseagles07 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 3:00 am

kobe48306 wrote:Howard the best center in the league? That is the funniest thing I have heard today. Thanks for the laugh. Just off the top, Marc Gasol is better, Noah is better (much bigger heart,) and Hibbert has developed more. Dwight is still the same Dwight he was when he entered the league. He has made absolutely no improvement is his game.

I hate howard w/everything in me and this comment is idiotic. Howard averaged more than all of those players and had his worst year ever. Heart? I laugh when people talk about heart. Tyler Hansborough has more heart than David West, is he a better player. Dwight hasn't improved AS MUCH AS HE SHOULD, he has improved. Remember when the draft came up and Emeka Okafor was a "safer pick" than D12? How'd that turn out. The reason why people criticize him so much is because he could be GREAT and he's just very good. Stats aren't everything but hibbert averaged 11.9 ppg in the east. Howard took an average Magic team to the finals in the east...
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#17 » by Sam195 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 3:25 am

rocketseagles07 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:He's flying to each city to meet with the teams. I thought each team interested flies a group of representatives (i.e owners, G\Ms, coaches) to his LA home to pitch. But Howard's choices clearly do not represent a will to win. If I'm correct , Portland will also have max-level cap room to sign him. Portland may be a smaller market than the other teams on his list but they have one of the best attendance records for home games and play in one of the largest venues amongst all nba teams. A core of lillard, batum, aldridge and howard would be an instant contender in the west and a probable favorite to beat the heat because of there strengths in the front line and the point guard position. Owner Paul allen unlike other small market owners is not afraid of paying the luxury tax for a contending squad. I think he's actually one of the owners in the league to pay the most tax since the system was established. He paid a lot during the jail blazers era. Howard is a phony, he will re-up with LA. He's just using his free agency as leverage to have autonomy over the lakers' roster and coaching decisions.

The trailblazers only have 9 players and 4 starters under contract. They also have 44 mil due... they can't afford howard w/out making moves...

If Howard made it known that he would consider the blazers, the team would free up the needed cap room in a heart beat. Also I'm not a blazer fan, just rational nba fanatic. The blazers could dump one of their current centers (leonard or freeland) to another team to clear the room. Howard's starting salary as a free agent on another team is probably around 17 million.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#18 » by Donnyxc » Mon Jun 3, 2013 1:40 pm

sonictecture wrote:I want to see how Dwight plans on winning.

Will Dwight work diligently and be amendable to coaching, with he accept accountability for himself, will he look to lead and make others better even if it means less initial adulation?

Yeah, does he expect the ball to be in his hands every play? Will he still pout when he doesn't make a significant impact every single game?

Dwight to Golden State might make sense. But not gonna happen.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
PNL
Ballboy

Post#19 » by PNL » Wed Jun 5, 2013 12:56 pm

Sam195 wrote: Howard's starting salary as a free agent on another team is probably around 17 million.

20.5 million

Return to Wiretap Discussion