Rockets To Simultaneously Pursue Paul, Howard

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Rockets To Simultaneously Pursue Paul, Howard 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jun 9, 2013 4:12 pm

The Houston Rockets plan on pursuing Dwight Howard, but they will simultaneously go after Chris Paul as well.

"They are targets No. 1 and 1A," said a source.

Both Howard and Paul are free agents, but the former has expressed more interest in signing with the Rockets.

The Rockets need to complete a few moves to offer a max contract, something they feel is likely. Houston won't have enough cap space to offer a max contract to both players.

Paul is close to James Harden from their time together on USA Basketball.

Via Jonathan Feigen/Houston Chronicle

boren
Junior
And1: 266

Re: Rockets To Simultaneously Pursue Paul, Howard 

Post#2 » by boren » Sun Jun 9, 2013 5:53 pm

Houston won't have enough cap space to offer a max contract to both players.

Easy solution: Do a Lebron.
MagicFan41
Sixth Man
And1: 163

Post#3 » by MagicFan41 » Sun Jun 9, 2013 7:19 pm

boren wrote:

LOL. If you (and everyone else who seems to think so as well because the media hyped it up) are referring "taking less money" than the MAX, you need to do some real research on your own. He took about $1mil/yr less per year (which was basically negated by the fact he moved from Ohio to Florida where there is no state income tax). Typically that isn't really going to make much of a difference in whether or not they could sign other max deals or not. In fact, his endorsement earnings, which far surpasses his salary earnings receive an even bigger tax reduction, which is end up meaning he makes MORE than if he had stayed in Cleveland due to the tax savings. Everyone acts as though the man was some martyr who is playing for $100,000/yr so his team can be better. Give me a break.

One benefit Houston does have is that along with Florida, Texas is the only other state with an NBA team to also have no state income tax, so players with large endorsement deals (ala CP3 and Dwight) would be able to make such a "sacrifice" (hahahah) to take a little less money salary-wise when it would actually mean making MORE money tax-wise.
NamelessHero
Junior
And1: 79

Post#4 » by NamelessHero » Sun Jun 9, 2013 7:20 pm

boren wrote:

imaginative
At certain moments, always unforeseen, I become happy…
I look at strangers near as if I had known them all my life…
everything fills me with affection…
It may be an hour before the mood passes,
but ultimately I seem to understand

no more space in sig
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#5 » by inquisitive » Sun Jun 9, 2013 7:54 pm

i guess the rockets are really all in...didn't think they would pursue cp3...interesting.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#6 » by Sam195 » Sun Jun 9, 2013 8:23 pm

MagicFan41 wrote:
boren wrote:

LOL. If you (and everyone else who seems to think so as well because the media hyped it up) are referring "taking less money" than the MAX, you need to do some real research on your own. He took about $1mil/yr less per year (which was basically negated by the fact he moved from Ohio to Florida where there is no state income tax). Typically that isn't really going to make much of a difference in whether or not they could sign other max deals or not. In fact, his endorsement earnings, which far surpasses his salary earnings receive an even bigger tax reduction, which is end up meaning he makes MORE than if he had stayed in Cleveland due to the tax savings. Everyone acts as though the man was some martyr who is playing for $100,000/yr so his team can be better. Give me a break.

One benefit Houston does have is that along with Florida, Texas is the only other state with an NBA team to also have no state income tax, so players with large endorsement deals (ala CP3 and Dwight) would be able to make such a "sacrifice" (hahahah) to take a little less money salary-wise when it would actually mean making MORE money tax-wise.

Lebron did make a sacrifice. He chose Miami over the Knicks and Clippers at the time. 2 teams that had cap space to sign him and another free agent like bosh or wade to max deals in 2010. Had Lebron gone to Ny or LA, he probably would have doubled the endorsement earnings he makes now despite higher taxes. If Lebron brought the Knicks their first championship since the 70s, he'd be the most popular athlete in the world. And be earning more endorsement money than he could manage. Lebron made the decision to come to Miami to team up with two of his friends as opposed to staying in Cleveland or teaming up with just one other max guy on a diffrent team.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#7 » by Mr. E » Sun Jun 9, 2013 9:11 pm

inquisitive wrote:i guess the rockets are really all in...didn't think they would pursue cp3...interesting.

It's going to be an interesting summer for those of us here in Houston!

I will be happy when this is all over, tho.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#8 » by noworriesinmd » Sun Jun 9, 2013 10:27 pm

Sam195 wrote:
MagicFan41 wrote:
boren wrote:

Lebron did make a sacrifice. He chose Miami over the Knicks and Clippers at the time. 2 teams that had cap space to sign him and another free agent like bosh or wade to max deals in 2010. Had Lebron gone to Ny or LA, he probably would have doubled the endorsement earnings he makes now despite higher taxes. If Lebron brought the Knicks their first championship since the 70s, he'd be the most popular athlete in the world. And be earning more endorsement money than he could manage. Lebron made the decision to come to Miami to team up with two of his friends as opposed to staying in Cleveland or teaming up with just one other max guy on a diffrent team.
Sherman Douglas
Veteran
And1: 1,467

Post#9 » by Sherman Douglas » Sun Jun 9, 2013 10:37 pm

The NBA is getting dumb and boring. There's a few "superteams" with all the talent.
kobe48306
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#10 » by kobe48306 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:33 am

OKC, trade Westbrook for Paul and win a NBA championship!
makio9
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#11 » by makio9 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:29 am

MagicFan41 wrote:
boren wrote:

Newsflash: there's no tax in Houston either! And the woman are cheaper
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#12 » by Donnyxc » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:46 pm

kobe48306 wrote:OKC, trade Westbrook for Paul and win a NBA championship!

They have some issues at the C position to solve first. Westbrook is a solid guard.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#13 » by penquin11 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:56 pm

makio9 wrote:
MagicFan41 wrote:
boren wrote:

Newsflash: there's no tax in Houston either! And the woman are cheaper

Maybe you don't know this. But, Houston is in Texas... Meaning you just repeated the obvious.....
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark

Return to Wiretap Discussion