Howard, Paul Want To Play On Same Team Next Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Howard, Paul Want To Play On Same Team Next Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Dwight Howard and Chris Paul have been in contact with each other in an effort to play for the same team next season, according to sources.

Via Chris Broussard/ESPN

Brovva Blaqq
Banned User
And1: 67

Re: Howard, Paul Want To Play On Same Team Next Season 

Post#2 » by Brovva Blaqq » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:02 pm

DAYUM!

Miami is done!
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:17 pm

These scenarios aren't favorable to Paul and Howard as basketball or business decisions. The one scenario that could work out well for Howard and Paul is both teaming up to play for the lakers and staying in LA. The Lakers can only do this if Kobe is willing to sit out the entire 2013/14 season to heal his achilles. Lakers can than amnesty Kobe and wipe his 30 million dollar cap hit from the books. Than the lakers can trade Pau Gasol to a team like the bobcats or pistons who will have the cap space to trade for him straight up for a trade exception. These two moves would generate enough cap room for the lakers to sign both Paul and Howard to max or near max contracts. The lakers would also have the benefit of owning a 19+ million dollar trade exception from a gasol deal to possibly trade for another star player to add to their core. And if Kobe can be unselfish and take a massive paycut like the mid level salary to play for the lakers you will have a super contender in a year. Lakers would also likely have to dump nash somewhere because you can't justify paying a back-up point guard close to 9 million dollars a year.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 337

Post#4 » by trebone » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Atl with

Paul
Lou
?
Horford
Howard

would be better than Miami, a healthy howard and paul would be to much for Miami
azncorruptedo17
Starter
And1: 222

Post#5 » by azncorruptedo17 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:22 pm

how does broussard still have a job?
Clipper fan since '95!!
Nanogeek
Banned User
And1: 130

Post#6 » by Nanogeek » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Sam195 wrote:These scenarios aren't favorable to Paul and Howard as basketball or business decisions. The one scenario that could work out well for Howard and Paul is both teaming up to play for the lakers and staying in LA. The Lakers can only do this if Kobe is willing to sit out the entire 2013/14 season to heal his achilles. Lakers can than amnesty Kobe and wipe his 30 million dollar cap hit from the books. Than the lakers can trade Pau Gasol to a team like the bobcats or pistons who will have the cap space to trade for him straight up for a trade exception. These two moves would generate enough cap room for the lakers to sign both Paul and Howard to max or near max contracts. The lakers would also have the benefit of owning a 19+ million dollar trade exception from a gasol deal to possibly trade for another star player to add to their core. And if Kobe can be unselfish and take a massive paycut like the mid level salary to play for the lakers you will have a super contender in a year. Lakers would also likely have to dump nash somewhere because you can't justify paying a back-up point guard close to 9 million dollars a year.

This doesn't work. They'd have to do more. Amnestying Kobe drops $30.4m and clearing Gasol for nothing drops another $19.2m. That'd put the Lakers at $28m of contracts plus $2m in cap holds for roster slots so $30m. If the cap is $58m then they'd have only $28m for Howard and Paul. They ain't gonna take $14m per season. They'd need to clear another $10m. They could stretch Nash and then trade Blake or Metta for nothing in return and THEN they could pull it off. But Kobe would have to sign for peanuts when he came back - which he might be willing to do as he's made enough money.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#7 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:47 pm

This could easily happen in Dallas if everyone communicates together. Marion would have to opt out with the guarantee of coming back from mgmt. They could also use some of their pieces in a SnT so one of them can get the max. ex. Collison / Mayo / 13th pick

Paul
Carter
Marion
Dirk
Howard

In Raptor Ball I Trust
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#8 » by The_Hater » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:57 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:This could easily happen in Dallas if everyone communicates together. Marion would have to opt out with the guarantee of coming back from mgmt. They could also use some of their pieces in a SnT so one of them can get the max. ex. Collison / Mayo / 13th pick

Paul
Carter
Marion
Dirk
Howard

Marion's not going to opt out of a guaranteed $9.3 million and then turn around and re-sign at the veteran's minimum for one season, which is all they'd be able to offer after signing those 2 players.

Sorry but this scenerio isn't realistic.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
JoKnows45
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#9 » by JoKnows45 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:01 pm

Nanogeek wrote: But Kobe would have to sign for peanuts when he came back - which he might be willing to do as he's made enough money.

Define enough? Kobe ain't playing for peanuts.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#10 » by King4Day » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:05 pm

trebone wrote:Atl with

Paul
Lou
?
Horford
Howard

would be better than Miami, a healthy howard and paul would be to much for Miami

Agreed here. They may not be interest in Atlanta but they would have the pieces to be elite just like that. Paul should rather play with Horford at PF along with Howard than just Howard and no Griffin.
Starting to sound more and more like LAL will miss out.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#11 » by Xman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:00 pm

ATL and Houston can do it.
These numbers are estimates (different on different sites - but close)
Howard Max: 20,513,178
CPIII max: 18,668,431
combined - 39.2

Dallas cannot do it without moving Dirk which will not happen (or they take greatly reduced salaries)
ATL would drop everyone but LWilliams, Horford and Jenkins - then would be good to sign both.
Houston has to trade off Lin, Asik, RWhite, TRob, Tjones (or Motie) and drop expirings except Beverly, GSmith and Parsons. Trading Lin/Asik/Rwhite/Trob/TJones could be done since they have positive value and decent contracts (arguably RWhite is negative value and Lin is nuetral but others more than comensate and should bring back some future picks). Rox would be left with Harden, Parsons, Beverly, GSmith, Motie to go with CPIII and Howard.
Harden 13.669, Parsons .926, GSmith .884, Beverly .789, Motie 1.422 = 17.69 + 3 cap holds 1.34 = 19.3 + CPII and Howard 39.2 = 58.5 which is the new salary cap I believe.
So, big three of CPIII/Harden/Howard with a good 4th man in Harden and promising pf in Motie. Also have a decent backup C and PG. That is the core of a champion.
gokings2010
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#12 » by gokings2010 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Sacramento should be added to the mix of teams that can afford them. We have one of the youngest teams in the league. I think we have the payrol for it. Cousins+#7 and Tyreke maybe able to get Howard. Sacramento amnestys Salmons contract and waive Hayes then that should free up for Paul who will reunite with his old coach from New Orleans and old teamate Marcus Thorton.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#13 » by ATL Boy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:30 pm

JoKnows45 wrote:
Nanogeek wrote: But Kobe would have to sign for peanuts when he came back - which he might be willing to do as he's made enough money.

Also, half of his money goes to Vanessa
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#14 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Dallas can get this done if they remove Marion can't they??. Marion as an expiring will not be hard to move especially if they attach a pick.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#15 » by Donnyxc » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:16 pm

azncorruptedo17 wrote:how does broussard still have a job?

Lol.

I think Atlanta has to be the favorite in this.
Houston, Dallas both have some potential
LAC, LAL - No way. Too many 'if x then ys'.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Alienware
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Post#16 » by Alienware » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Paul
Lou
?
Horford
Howard

I'm not so sure about that. Nash/Kobe/Pau/Howard was also supposed to be better than Miami.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#17 » by Mamba Venom » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:04 pm

JoKnows45 wrote:

Kobe would make it back long run if he won another ring or 2.

Jordan still makes 50+ mil a year. If Kobe won 7 rings I could see people buying his shoes long after Kobe retires. The Nike family appears to have Kobe's back and Kobe will play a season abroad when he retires and be an ambassador for the game.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#18 » by ATL Boy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Alienware wrote:

Paul
Lou
?
Horford
Howard

I'm not so sure about that. Nash/Kobe/Pau/Howard was also supposed to be better than Miami.

Gee, one failed Lakers project with an old Nash, an old Pau, an old Kobe, and an injured Dwight and all of a sudden noone can match up with the Heat huh? News flash:

Paul would eat Chalmers alive
Lou would come off the bench but Wade isn't what he used to be, a young SG (draft, KCP?) could hold his own
I admit, Lebron would be hard to stop, but he won't be able to exploit the paint with Dwight there
Horford is better than Bosh (especially if Bosh keeps playing like he is in the playoffs)
Dwight would make birdman his b*tch
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Alienware
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Post#19 » by Alienware » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:30 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Alienware wrote:

Paul
Lou
?
Horford
Howard

Gee, one failed Lakers project with an old Nash, an old Pau, an old Kobe, and an injured Dwight and all of a sudden noone can match up with the Heat huh? News flash:

Paul would eat Chalmers alive
Lou would come off the bench but Wade isn't what he used to be, a young SG (draft, KCP?) could hold his own
I admit, Lebron would be hard to stop, but he won't be able to exploit the paint with Dwight there
Horford is better than Bosh (especially if Bosh keeps playing like he is in the playoffs)
Dwight would make birdman his b*tch

That's not the issue, on paper is a better team than the Heat, but will it work? That's far from a sure thing. Match-up is very important in the Play-offs, that's why the Pacers gave so much trouble to the Heat with a considerable less talented team on the paper, having those four would be a great start, but it's nowhere near a "sure-thing". For example you mention Horford and Dwight, but I'm not sure if it's feasible having both of them on the court against the heat, how would Horford fare against stretch 4? If Dwight has Bosh, will he follow him leaving the paint unprotected or give up the long two?
Also I don't see anyone even remotely capable of guarding LeBron, which is also an extremely big issue.

I like the Hawks and I would love to see them put together a team like this, but let's not jump ahead of ourselves.
Nanogeek
Banned User
And1: 130

Post#20 » by Nanogeek » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:57 pm

JoKnows45 wrote:

Kobe's made $248m just in player salaries during his career which ignores sponsorship fees, etc. He doesn't need anymore money. He wants to play for rings. In any event, I'm not saying he will or won't sign for peanuts. I'm saying he would HAVE to sign for peanuts for this to work.

Return to Wiretap Discussion