Lakers Can Offer Dwight 2014 Cap Space For LeBron, Carmelo

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Lakers Can Offer Dwight 2014 Cap Space For LeBron, Carmelo 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 3, 2013 6:05 am

The Los Angeles Lakers made their free agency pitch to Dwight Howard on Tuesday, the last of five teams.

While the other teams, most notably the Houston Rockets, offered Howard the chance to instantly contend, the Lakers can offer the appeal of cap space in 2014.

The only contract on the Lakers' books for the 2014 offseason is Steve Nash at $9.7 million. The 2014 free agency class could include LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Kobe Bryant.

"Finally, Howard stands at the center of the most terrifying maelstrom that has come along in the NBA in decades," writes Ken Berger. "What is that, you ask? It's called the Lakers with cap space.

"That means that Howard, who has traveled from Orlando to LA and now to a free-agent courtship with four other teams, is 12 months away from being the centerpiece of an unprecedented constellation of star power. If you thought the Lakers' courtship of Howard was something -- with the banners and the hashtags and whatnot -- wait until they knock on LeBron James' door on July 1, 2014.

"Dwight, LeBron and Carmelo Anthony on the Lakers, with Bryant saying this week he has three good years left in him? It would make the Heat's Big Three look like a bad pickup game at the Y." 

Via Ken Berger/CBS Sports

Mr_President
Senior
And1: 285

Re: Lakers Can Offer Dwight 2014 Cap Space For LeBron, Carme 

Post#2 » by Mr_President » Wed Jul 3, 2013 6:16 am

Neither LeBron nor Carmelo will ever willingly sign with the LAKERS, most out of Pride n hatred.not happening :evil:
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#3 » by enderwilson » Wed Jul 3, 2013 6:32 am

2004 Lakers had more star power, a good coach, and still didn't bring home a championship. Who would LA get to coach a team with all those stars on it now? D'Antoni ain't going to cut it.
Roseventyfour
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#4 » by Roseventyfour » Wed Jul 3, 2013 6:45 am

So they're trying to sell him on dreams, hopes, and wishes after basically begging him to stay? I'd take Harden, McHale, and Parsons over that anyday. The Lake show has seriously turned into a bad comedy since Jerry Buss died.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#5 » by Takingbaconback » Wed Jul 3, 2013 6:47 am

I could see them nabbing Melo, but really LeBron? After everything LA and its fans have said, joked, scrutinized about LeBron, do you really think he is going to sign there? I wouldn't be surprised if when FA started LeBron immediately took the Lakers off his list, not only because he resents them but also because he doesn't want to be that next guy to follow Kobe Bryant. He can be as great as he wants on many teams with cash, and it definitely does not have to be as a Laker, contrary to what their fans think.
SacTownKings4Life
Starter
And1: 118

Post#6 » by SacTownKings4Life » Wed Jul 3, 2013 7:02 am

Who in their right mind thinks its a sensible idea to believe that Lebron would leave Miami to Join the Lakers... To chase a championship... When he JUST won back to back championships where he's at right now, and MIGHT have a three-peat come July 1st 2014? Use your head. The Lakers can't guarantee anybody a championship anymore anyway because THIS YEAR was supposed to have been that guarantee. History is nice, but what have you done (can you do) for me lately? First round knockout?

And besides, Dwight will NEVER be the man with Lebron around. And Carmelo doesn't complement EITHER of them. Stop thinking NBA 2K can be applied to real life.
Just
Image Image
B Cuz
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#7 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 7:05 am

Lebron is not coming to LA, put that pipe dream to bed, he doesn't need dwight howard or the lakers.
i'm sure Melo can't wait to play for Pringles again :lol:

so the lakers sign dwight, then what do they have next year, in a mediocre UFA class?
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 614

Post#8 » by alienpick » Wed Jul 3, 2013 7:17 am

This is the most ridiculous article I have read in a while... If they seriously said all that to me in a pitch I would have walked out of the room. LeBron to LA? Yeah right, maybe 1998 MJ will sign with them as well.
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#9 » by bb22 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 8:06 am

dwight doesnt deserve a max contract
edward00
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#10 » by edward00 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 8:13 am

It's really sad to see Lakers trying so hard just to pursue Howard....

Howard already mentioned that he wants to win now, not next year, or the year after....

As long as D'Antoni is the coach, no one will go to Lakerland... especially Melo

The only way to lure all the superstars back to Lakers, is to hire a new coach. In my opinion, Jerry Sloan would fit perfectly with Lakers...

If Lakers manage to hire Jerry Sloan, and also a star not necessarily a super star to Lakers, I think Howard might still want to go back... who the f!@#$ cares about tv shows and statues.. he already said he wants to win championships, how the f!@#@! is tv shows win championships...

Currently I think Atlanta actually has a chance to acquire Howard, since they have one of the most salary cap space in the free agency, as long as they can lure in a super star or even a star, I think Howard will seriously consider playing in Atlanta... if Atlanta can nab Paul Millsap or someone with the same caliber, I'm pretty sure Howard will compare the options he have on hand..

Howard wants it all, he wants the $$$, the attention, the championship ring, the fame, and etc.....

I bet the older NBA players are shaking their head in disbelief thinking that in their days of playing NBA, they felt lucky enough that teams pick them.... let alone making t.v. shows and statues ....

statue......................................................................with 0 rings...............................................wow
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#11 » by Greenie » Wed Jul 3, 2013 9:20 am

This sounds like tampering to me...
Melo and Bron are not free agents.

Where's Stern :lol:
youblewwit
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#12 » by youblewwit » Wed Jul 3, 2013 9:30 am

I'm calling it right now, Melo going to LAL in 2014.

Lebron is going to stay in Mia or go back to CLE. Amare will opt in in 2014, and Melo knows they will never win, so he'll boot to the other coast to play with Kobe and whoever else is available.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Takingbaconback » Wed Jul 3, 2013 10:14 am

youblewwit wrote:I'm calling it right now, Melo going to LAL in 2014.

Lebron is going to stay in Mia or go back to CLE. Amare will opt in in 2014, and Melo knows they will never win, so he'll boot to the other coast to play with Kobe and whoever else is available.

I agree when I looked at the FA list, Melo definitely stood out like the consolation prize to LeBron who we all know is not going to LA
Gannet
Junior
And1: 20

Post#14 » by Gannet » Wed Jul 3, 2013 10:20 am

Smith/Howard to HOU is about 10,000 times more likely than Lebron to LAL.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Takingbaconback » Wed Jul 3, 2013 10:23 am

I'm thinking Lakers will make a run at Melo, Wall, Paul George, LeBron, and Larry Sanders. I think they'll come out of it with Wall, Melo, and Sanders by throwing them a ridiculous amount of money.
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,302

Post#16 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jul 3, 2013 11:04 am

The most "terrible maelstrom" the NBA has seen in decades already happened and the Lakers will not be able to even come close to it. It's called the Miami Heat's 2010 off-season, in which they grabbed the 3 most sought after free agents, 3 all-stars, best player in the game, top 3 player in the game, and a top 20 player in the game, to team up in their primes and take reduced contracts to win.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#17 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jul 3, 2013 11:42 am

Takingbaconback wrote:I'm thinking Lakers will make a run at Melo, Wall, Paul George, LeBron, and Larry Sanders. I think they'll come out of it with Wall, Melo, and Sanders by throwing them a ridiculous amount of money.

Wall's about to sign a max deal with the Wiz.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,723

Post#18 » by Woodsanity » Wed Jul 3, 2013 11:45 am

:lol:. Lakers are so desperate right now.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
writersblock
General Manager
And1: 61

Post#19 » by writersblock » Wed Jul 3, 2013 11:56 am

greenhughes wrote:This sounds like tampering to me...
Melo and Bron are not free agents.

Where's Stern :lol:

There's no tampering to talk about who's going to be in the FA class in 2014 and who they'll go after.

Not to mention, reporters can say what they want, they have no connection to the team.
Globe-trotting and shenaniganizing, traveling the world and taking names...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6CtlAxAIaA_NQBQCuz3q1w?sub_confirmation=1
Nanogeek
Banned User
And1: 130

Post#20 » by Nanogeek » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:02 pm

Rockets sign Howard to $20m per in 2013.

In 2014,
Rockets don't pick up team options for White, Jones and Motiejunas (or trade them for future picks)
Rockets use the stretch provision on both Lin and Asik prior to 7/1/14 so their cap numbers go down from $16m to ~$5m. Asik and Lin resign with the Rockets after 7/1 for one year vet min deals.
Rockets have $16m of cap space considering roster slot cap holds.

Rockets sign LeBron to $16m per.

PG Lin
SG Harden
SF LeBron
PF Asik
C Dwight

Start getting sized for rings.

Return to Wiretap Discussion