Kaman Agrees To One-Year Deal With Lakers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kaman Agrees To One-Year Deal With Lakers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 8, 2013 8:25 pm

Chris Kaman has agreed to a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Kaman was a longtime member of the Los Angeles Clippers before being traded to the New Orleans Pelicans in a deal for Chris Paul.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

urgal
Rookie
And1: 1,876

Re: Kaman Agrees To One-Year Deal With Lakers 

Post#2 » by urgal » Mon Jul 8, 2013 8:42 pm

Have fun with him Lakers fans. Has emerged into a 7ft jump shooter who neither passes the ball nor plays D. Great pick up!
cs hauser
Suspended
And1: 75

Post#3 » by cs hauser » Mon Jul 8, 2013 8:51 pm

Good deal for the Lakers. Chris Kaman at $3M is a bargain. And convincing Kaman to accept a 1-year deal is a pleasant surprise.

But I'm pretty sure this means Pau Gasol is on his way out. The Lakers have so many holes on their roster. Why would they spend their MLE on someone like Kaman? Gasol and Kaman are largely redundant. They play the same position and have similar skill sets.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#4 » by texasholdem » Mon Jul 8, 2013 8:53 pm

If this doesn't say Wiggins tank job I dont know what does :lol:
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
e_l_f_o
Junior
And1: 143

Post#5 » by e_l_f_o » Mon Jul 8, 2013 9:26 pm

Tank mode ON
Llull, Llull, Llull!!
thedustyfoot
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by thedustyfoot » Mon Jul 8, 2013 9:41 pm

Lakers are now in full rebuild after this signing. Kamen when healthy, posts decent numbers though.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#7 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Jul 8, 2013 10:39 pm

cs hauser wrote:But I'm pretty sure this means Pau Gasol is on his way out. The Lakers have so many holes on their roster. Why would they spend their MLE on someone like Kaman? Gasol and Kaman are largely redundant. They play the same position and have similar skill sets.

The same reason they hired Mike D'Antonie... their front office sucks.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
HitmanCapone
Pro Prospect
And1: 130

Post#8 » by HitmanCapone » Mon Jul 8, 2013 10:55 pm

The Mini Mid Level Exception isn't the same as the MLE. The Mini MLE is like 2.25M or some where around that. I think the Lakers season hinges on Steve Nash and if he can take command of this team. Obviously depends upon how Kobe will play whenever he comes back. I just don't think that everyone should count them out yet & no that doesn't mean that I think they'll win the championship but I also don't think they'll be as bad as everyone is predicting either
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#9 » by Mamba Venom » Mon Jul 8, 2013 11:05 pm

Lakers own their own pick if it is in the top 20.

I was wondering if my team was going to go the 97 Spurs route to get Duncan. "Take your time Kobe and Nash recover" and try to get an impact player like Wiggins and send Kobe off the same way the Spurs sent The Admiral off.

But it looks like my team wont do that.

That makes me proud but it is also a stupid move since we wont have a traditional pick again for 4 more seasons.

Kaman signing = not tanking.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#10 » by Mamba Venom » Mon Jul 8, 2013 11:08 pm

e_l_f_o wrote:Tank mode ON

Lakers would not have signed anyone if tank mode was ON

After the penalties Kaman will costs Lakers like 8 or 9 mil. That pride stings too much for Lakers to tank even though it would be a better basketball move for just one season ala 97 Spurs after achilles injury.

The timing couldnt be better for a tank, but Lakers wont do it.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#11 » by Sam195 » Mon Jul 8, 2013 11:27 pm

Why is Kaman taking such a large discount to play on a non-contender. On top of that he's playing on a one year deal without security. What if he tears his ACL or something, the lakers are just going to give him the lamar odom treatment and tell him to clear his locker and leave after the season . Last season Kaman signed with the mavs on a 1 year 8 million dollar deal which was considered a discount. Portland offered him a four year deal at around 10 million a season. Before that hornets offered him a three year extension at an even higher number during the 2011-12 season so they could get better trade offers for him. Clearly Kaman's agent isn't doing his job. Plus if Kaman wanted to play for the mini midlevel, he could have signed with the heat who probably would have offered him a three year deal with a player option. I bet all 29 other gms in the league are scratching their heads a former allstar big man in his early thirties is signing for less than eight figures.
GameSage
Ballboy

Post#12 » by GameSage » Tue Jul 9, 2013 12:59 am

Why all the negativity. Kaman played well with Clippers his last 2 years there. Jordan came in as the more athletic center and Kaman was moved. He average 10 and 5 playing 20 minutes a game this year. Give him more minutes and those numbers go up and give the Lakers much needed front-line help next season. Then you reevaluate your options this time next year and maybe you want Chris to be a part of things moving forward.

At 3 MiL. for a year, it's a good move. He can be active in D'Antoni's offense. It was not a good mix for him in Dallas. Whether some of you want the team to tank or not, the purple and gold are going to get the best 12 players they can working within the budget framework for 2013 and 2014 and then rebuild next off-season.
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#13 » by willywazza » Tue Jul 9, 2013 1:06 am

So Chris Kaman is a D'Antoni type of player?

Right...
EdAram21
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#14 » by EdAram21 » Tue Jul 9, 2013 1:12 am

I can already see Kobe giving Kaman the evil eye when he drops a pass out of bounce. Kaman has a nice touch around the rim, but he's a turnover machine.
kobeisking
Ballboy

Post#15 » by kobeisking » Tue Jul 9, 2013 1:36 am

just what Lakers need another soft bigman
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#16 » by Donnyxc » Tue Jul 9, 2013 12:44 pm

EdAram21 wrote:I can already see Kobe giving Kaman the evil eye when he drops a pass out of bounce. Kaman has a nice touch around the rim, but he's a turnover machine.

It must be a hard bounce if he drops a pass. Maybe they'll have to bounce him out of the starting 5. :D
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley

Return to Wiretap Discussion