Report: Carmelo Expected Knicks To Pursue Trade For Rondo

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Report: Carmelo Expected Knicks To Pursue Trade For Rondo 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 9, 2013 1:52 pm

After the Boston Celtics traded Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to the Brooklyn Nets, Carmelo Anthony told friends that he expected the New York Knicks to pursue a trade for Rajon Rondo.

Anthony believes Rondo would be a great fit for the Knicks.

The Knicks subsequently re-signed J.R. Smith and Pablo Prigioni, while also acquiring Andrea Bargnani in a trade with the Toronto Raptors.

The Knicks almost certainly do not have enough assets to acquire Rondo in a trade with the Celtics.

Via Marc Berman/New York Post

Grandad434
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Report: Carmelo Expected Knicks To Pursue Trade For Rond 

Post#2 » by Grandad434 » Tue Jul 9, 2013 2:24 pm

No the Knicks sure didn't and instead added more warts to the monster. Great season last year with an expected collapse in the end, but even Rondo wouldn't save that mess of a team. Now Rondo in Detroit? I'll take that all day long. Even if the Knicks did a stretch provision on STAT next summer, they still would be over the tax and unable to put a solid team together that could challenge the Heat, Pacers or Bulls for a slot in the Finals. Melo isn't going to wait 2 more years, he'll push for a trade before this february, count on it.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Tue Jul 9, 2013 2:47 pm

Ainge won't trade Rondo within the atlantic division. The only reason KG and Pierce got traded to brooklyn was because the league banned any trade between the clippers and celtics for a year. The nets were the only other team interested in the league to trade for both in a package deal. I'd love to see the melodrama again lol.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#4 » by jlokine » Tue Jul 9, 2013 5:04 pm

what does the knicks have that they would be willing to give up that the celtics would want? they still have picks forfeited from the carmelo deal and now bargs deal, tyson chandler, jr smith, carmelo are locks.. pretty sure celtics dont want bargs.. and pretty sure celtics dont want amare's stupid contract and no knees.. and even with amare, celtics wouldnt know what to do with him without rondo... that leaves a bunch of scrubs for rondo.. riight carmelo needs to look at the make up of his team before making stupid comments..
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#5 » by Scalabrine » Tue Jul 9, 2013 5:29 pm

jlokine wrote:what does the knicks have that they would be willing to give up that the celtics would want? they still have picks forfeited from the carmelo deal and now bargs deal, tyson chandler, jr smith, carmelo are locks.. pretty sure celtics dont want bargs.. and pretty sure celtics dont want amare's stupid contract and no knees.. and even with amare, celtics wouldnt know what to do with him without rondo... that leaves a bunch of scrubs for rondo.. riight carmelo needs to look at the make up of his team before making stupid comments..

That article doesnt quote anthony once.

In other words... you need to read and comprehend the article before making stupid comments.

I would be very shocked if the Knicks were to get Melo and Rondo together due to their few assets. The one asset that they do have though, is Shumpert. Having a similar player in Bradley already on the roster makes Shumperts value for the Celtics less, but around the league I would imagine he has quite a bit of value as a young guy on a rookie deal that is a top defender and is not a liability offensively. Also Raymond Felton is on a very good deal, making only 4 million per year, a team in need of a starter on the cheap, or a very good backup (which is what he would be ideally... a Jarret Jack-Warriors role). Next year the majority of the contracts they have are expring too, so there is flexibility in acquiring longer contracts if the reward is big enough, but I have a feeling they will just wait till free agency.
Go Knicks!
D-HarpersNose
Banned User
And1: 92

Post#6 » by D-HarpersNose » Tue Jul 9, 2013 6:41 pm

Grandad434 wrote: Melo isn't going to wait 2 more years, he'll push for a trade before this february, count on it.

That's some of the dumbest schitt I ever heard. Is Kobe going to push for a trade too? How about Durant? How about Paul George? Just because a dude isn't on the best team in the NBA, that doesn't mean he's gonna demand a trade. This ain't NBA2K or Madden, bro. Superstars don't just get traded on whims.
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#7 » by 15th overall » Tue Jul 9, 2013 10:57 pm

D-HarpersNose wrote:
Grandad434 wrote: Melo isn't going to wait 2 more years, he'll push for a trade before this february, count on it.

That's some of the dumbest schitt I ever heard. Is Kobe going to push for a trade too? How about Durant? How about Paul George? Just because a dude isn't on the best team in the NBA, that doesn't mean he's gonna demand a trade. This ain't NBA2K or Madden, bro. Superstars don't just get traded on whims.

None of the guys you listed have ever demanded a trade (or even been on another team). Melo has and made a big stink about it too. You can't just gloss over that.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
D-HarpersNose
Banned User
And1: 92

Post#8 » by D-HarpersNose » Tue Jul 9, 2013 11:35 pm

15th overall wrote:
D-HarpersNose wrote:

None of the guys you listed have ever demanded a trade (or even been on another team). Melo has and made a big stink about it too. You can't just gloss over that.

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2007/ ... nds-trade/

“Yeah, I would like to be traded. As tough as it is to say that and as tough as it is to come to that conclusion, there’s no other alternative. They obviously went in a different direction in terms of rebuilding. I wish they would have told me that prior to me signing with the team.”
RoundMoundOfRebound
RealGM
And1: 13,403

Post#9 » by RoundMoundOfRebound » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:50 am

With what trade pieces? They have none.
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#10 » by 15th overall » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:10 am

D-HarpersNose wrote:
15th overall wrote:
D-HarpersNose wrote:That's some of the dumbest schitt I ever heard. Is Kobe going to push for a trade too? How about Durant? How about Paul George? Just because a dude isn't on the best team in the NBA, that doesn't mean he's gonna demand a trade. This ain't NBA2K or Madden, bro. Superstars don't just get traded on whims.

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2007/ ... nds-trade/

“Yeah, I would like to be traded. As tough as it is to say that and as tough as it is to come to that conclusion, there’s no other alternative. They obviously went in a different direction in terms of rebuilding. I wish they would have told me that prior to me signing with the team.”

Pfffft, that's just posturing. Did you really think he was going to goto the Clippers when he was a FA too? Kobe's full of it.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson

Return to Wiretap Discussion