76ers' Trade With Pelicans Dependent On Noel, Bennett Or Oladipo Remaining Available

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

76ers' Trade With Pelicans Dependent On Noel, Bennett Or Oladipo Remaining Available 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:41 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers and New Orleans Pelicans agreed upon a Jrue Holiday trade a few days before the draft, but it was dependent on Nerlens Noel, Anthony Bennett or Victor Oladipo remaining available.

Bennett and Oladipo went first and second to the Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic respectively.

Noel remained available at No. 6 when the Pelicans picked.

Via Dei Lynam/Comcast

dkjjr
Junior
And1: 17

Re: 76ers' Trade With Pelicans Dependent On Noel, Bennett Or 

Post#2 » by dkjjr » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:28 pm

So they agreed to the trade before the draft? During the draft it sounded like the 76ers called the Pelicans around the 4th or 5th pick. I'm surprised nobody reported the deal before the draft.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#3 » by bobsquad » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:49 pm

dkjjr wrote:So they agreed to the trade before the draft? During the draft it sounded like the 76ers called the Pelicans around the 4th or 5th pick. I'm surprised nobody reported the deal before the draft.

I think it's pretty obvious why they wouldn't want this trade called if it was entirely contingent on one of three players being picked at that spot.
coolbyme
Junior
And1: 48

Post#4 » by coolbyme » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:18 pm

sound like the pelicans are pulling a Michael Jordan Chandler/Calderon type move, or is it the other way around, either way, verbal commitment is binding in real life, (its the life blood of telemarketers worldwide) why not in the business world?
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:24 am

Didn't the spurs do this in the 2011 draft with indiana. I remember the spurs were targeting valanciunas or leonard in the draft. I'm sure if either wasn't available at 15 than they wouldn't have traded george hill. Spurs though valuncunas would drop out of the lottery because of his buyout situation which was orignally supposed to take 2-3 years for him to leave his international club to come to the nba.

Return to Wiretap Discussion