Andrew Wiggins Picks Raptors As Team He Most Wants To Play For

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Andrew Wiggins Picks Raptors As Team He Most Wants To Play For 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:34 pm

When winning the Gatorade Athlete of the Year Award, Andrew Wiggins was asked which NBA team he would like to play for.

"I would like to say the Raptors, I want to play for them," said Wiggins.

Wiggins is expected to be the top overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.

The Raptors were a late lottery team last season.

Wiggins was born in Toronto.

Via Ryan Wolstat/Toronto Sun

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Andrew Wiggins Picks Raptors As Team He Most Wants To Pl 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 pm

He's just saying that because the chances are slim. He's probably hoping to play for a big market us team like the sixers or celtics who are both tanking to nab him. Raptors will be a 7th or 8th seed with their current roster in the east. Wiggins said in the same interview that iverson is his favorite player. Maybe he will be the sixers next franchise guy.
marq
Senior
And1: 254

Post#3 » by marq » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 pm

Sam195 wrote:He's just saying that because the chances are slim. He's probably hoping to play for a big market us team like the sixers or celtics who are both tanking to nab him. Raptors will be a 7th or 8th seed with their current roster in the east. Wiggins said in the same interview that iverson is his favorite player. Maybe he will be the sixers next franchise guy.

Or maybe he's saying that because he is from Toronto and actually wants to play for the Raptors?
djxsremix
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#4 » by djxsremix » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Toronto doesn't have to worry about getting a guy like Wiggins anymore. The Raptors will ALWAYS be appealing to Wiggins even if its a matter of waiting until the end of his Rookie contract.
YoungD23
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#5 » by YoungD23 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 pm

RealGM
And1: 66,474

Post#6 » by 720 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Sam195 wrote:He's just saying that because the chances are slim. He's probably hoping to play for a big market us team like the sixers or celtics who are both tanking to nab him. Raptors will be a 7th or 8th seed with their current roster in the east. Wiggins said in the same interview that iverson is his favorite player. Maybe he will be the sixers next franchise guy.

he would rather be in Boston and philly over Toronto? lol

You got you're cities twisted dude.
chrispaulgeorge
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#7 » by chrispaulgeorge » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Yea did you miss the fact that he's FROM TORONTO? I know I'm beating a dead horse, but damn man.
airaaron32
Senior
And1: 773

Post#8 » by airaaron32 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:25 pm

If Ujuri does his rumored idiotic move and trades Derozan and Rudy, this is possible.
LONGER
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#9 » by LONGER » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:29 pm

408Kings
Junior
And1: 12

Post#10 » by 408Kings » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:41 pm

airaaron32 wrote:If Ujuri does his rumored idiotic move and trades Derozan and Rudy, this is possible.

I'd get rid of Derozan and Gay to get Wiggins anyday. They're both way overpaid for what they bring to the table.
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#11 » by caronimo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:11 pm

lets hope a team with bad management drafts him (kings, bucks, suns) and he leaves after his rookie contract and signs with the raptors.
Jordan Rose123
Pro Prospect
And1: 117

Post#12 » by Jordan Rose123 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Now every other team will be thirsty to draft him...but if the Raps don't make the playoffs next year they should have a good chance at getting him....the same **** happened with my team a few years ago
You mad?
mjd58
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#13 » by mjd58 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:30 pm

There you have it,

The raps have every reason to blow next season. Wiggins WANTS to play for Toronto. I've heard some buzz that Ujuri wont "tank". Why not? How far do you expect to get with Rudy "inconsistent" Gay, and Demarr Derozen? They're average, at most borderline all stars. Wiggins has superstar written all over gim. Combine him with valanciunas and the Raps would take over the east. Finally!
ATF
Junior
And1: 40

Post#14 » by ATF » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:09 am

caronimo wrote:lets hope a team with bad management drafts him (kings, bucks, suns) and he leaves after his rookie contract and signs with the raptors.

Suns NEW front office just traded scraps for Bledsoe, and the Kings' NEW management beheaded the cash-strapped Maloofs, did you just wake up from a coma? It's 2013. I'll give you the Bucks though. Also, the team that drafts Wiggz will have the right to match any contract he signs after his rookie deal(RFA). Please try again.
Suns.
AMG
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#15 » by AMG » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:27 am

full on chub....come on home Mr. Wiggins
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,197

Post#16 » by King4Day » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 am

This would semi upset me if I'm a Raps fan. They have Gay now and there's just no chance, outside of an injury, that they'll be bad enough to get him.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,587

Post#17 » by HangTime » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:55 am

ATF wrote:
caronimo wrote:lets hope a team with bad management drafts him (kings, bucks, suns) and he leaves after his rookie contract and signs with the raptors.

Suns NEW front office just traded scraps for Bledsoe, and the Kings' NEW management beheaded the cash-strapped Maloofs, did you just wake up from a coma? It's 2013. I'll give you the Bucks though. Also, the team that drafts Wiggz will have the right to match any contract he signs after his rookie deal(RFA). Please try again.

Unless he decides not to sign a big extension, take the qualifying offer, and then join the Raptors for his 6th season.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,693

Post#18 » by the_process » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:29 am

Raps fans, I think you need to relax a little bit lol
eliasrapp98
Assistant Coach
And1: 381

Post#19 » by eliasrapp98 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:32 am

HangTime wrote:
ATF wrote:

Unless he decides not to sign a big extension, take the qualifying offer, and then join the Raptors for his 6th season.

Why would he lose $9 million just to play for you guys? I LOVE the 76ers, but I'm not giving up $9 million to play for them... I'm sure too after 5 years with 1 team in 1 city, he'll grow to like it just as much.
PG: Russell Westbrook, Reggie Jackson
SG: Andre Roberson, Anthony Morrow, Jeremy Lamb
SF: Kevin Durant, KJ McDaniels, Perry Jones
PF: Serge Ibaka, Nick Collison, Robert Covington
Cc: Al Jefferson, Steven Adams, Kendrick Perkins, Mitch McGary
PDX_DL0
Senior
And1: 54

Post#20 » by PDX_DL0 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:53 am

Its possible his draft stock drops during the season as he gets exposed. In this "loaded" draft a small slip up could drop him further than people think. Most likely he does well and goes #1 but nothing is for sure.
"coaches are irrelevant in todays nba" - captlopez0012

Return to Wiretap Discussion