Devin Harris Signs $1.3M Deal With Mavericks Weeks After Agreeing To $3M Annually

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Devin Harris Signs $1.3M Deal With Mavericks Weeks After Agreeing To $3M Annually 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Aug 1, 2013 3:04 am

Devin Harris has agreed to a one-year deal with the Dallas Mavericks for the veteran's minimum at $1.3 million.

Harris previously agreed to a three-year, $9 million deal with the Mavericks, but it was pulled when it was revealed he had a dislocated toe that required surgery.

The Mavericks were unable to offer Harris more than the veteran's minimum due to deals the team subsequently reached with Monta Ellis and Samuel Dalmebert.

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

luxurytax
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Devin Harris Signs $1.3M Deal With Mavericks Weeks After 

Post#2 » by luxurytax » Thu Aug 1, 2013 3:44 am

That's a lot of lost money for one injury. Harris should have picked a team where he could actually play. He won't get any minutes with Jose Calderon and Monta Ellis already there...
cs hauser
Suspended
And1: 75

Post#3 » by cs hauser » Thu Aug 1, 2013 3:52 am

Devin Harris for the minimum salary.

DeJuan Blair for the minimum salary.

Samuel Dalembert for only $3.6M this season.

Monta Ellis for only $8.0 million this season.

People laugh at the Mavs for missing out on Dwight, but they've quietly had a very good off season. They've signed so many free agents to contracts well below their market value.
luxurytax
Banned User

Post#4 » by luxurytax » Thu Aug 1, 2013 3:54 am

cs hauser wrote:Devin Harris for the minimum salary.

People laugh at the Mavs for missing out on Dwight, but they've quietly had a very good off season. They've signed so many free agents to contracts well below their market value.

Do you honestly believe signing these scrubs and the ball hog Ellis is better than bringing in a franchise center in Howard? Seriously? Fairweather fans...
cs hauser
Suspended

Post#5 » by cs hauser » Thu Aug 1, 2013 4:01 am

luxurytax wrote:

Do you honestly believe signing these scrubs and the ball hog Ellis is better than bringing in a franchise center in Howard? Seriously? Fairweather fans...

You lack of reading comprehension is astounding.
luxurytax
Banned User

Post#6 » by luxurytax » Thu Aug 1, 2013 4:07 am

cs hauser wrote:
luxurytax wrote:

Your lack of basketball common sense is astounding. Ask Houston if they'd rather have Ellis, Blair, Perkins and Harris over Howard. Yeah, that's what I thought.
cs hauser
Suspended

Post#7 » by cs hauser » Thu Aug 1, 2013 4:11 am

luxurytax wrote:
cs hauser wrote:
luxurytax wrote:

Your lack of basketball common sense is astounding. Ask Houston if they'd rather have Ellis, Blair, Perkins and Harris over Howard. Yeah, that's what I thought.

The only person in this thread that ever used the word "better" is you. So... you've basically been arguing against yourself.
luxurytax
Banned User

Post#8 » by luxurytax » Thu Aug 1, 2013 4:23 am

cs hauser wrote:
luxurytax wrote:
cs hauser wrote:

The only person in this thread that ever used the word "better" is you. So... you've basically been arguing against yourself.

Go back to 3rd Grade English and read what I wrote again.

Why does this have anything to do with English? Stop avoiding the subject and focus on the basketball part of this. Howard was Dallas' first choice. They didn't get him. So they were forced to spend money on these other players to save face with fans and remain out of the basement with a few signings. Signing these players was NOT the desired move. Most people would agree that losing Howard was a big blow. Houston is by far a better team than Dallas. Anyone with any basic basketball knowledge would agree with that.

So no, this is not a "quietly good offseason" but rather "a horrible failure of an offseason".

You're obviously thinking quantity is better than quality because they signed more players but that is a complete fallacy.
cs hauser
Suspended

Post#9 » by cs hauser » Thu Aug 1, 2013 4:26 am

luxurytax wrote:
Why does this have anything to do with English? Stop avoiding the subject and focus on the basketball part of this. Howard was Dallas' first choice. They didn't get him. .

There is only one moron in this thead who said the Mavs were "better" without Howard. And that person is you. Seriously, go back to 3rd Grade English. Then read this entire thread from the beginning.

You've been arguing against yourself, genius.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#10 » by bearadonisdna » Thu Aug 1, 2013 4:30 am

Best of luck to Devin Harris, Tough Break on the contract.
SC Grizz
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#11 » by SC Grizz » Thu Aug 1, 2013 11:24 am

Mavs will still probably be one of the bottom two teams in the Southwest Division.

I do like the Devin Harris signing though.
luxurytax
Banned User

Post#12 » by luxurytax » Thu Aug 1, 2013 11:33 am

cs hauser wrote:
luxurytax wrote:
Why does this have anything to do with English? Stop avoiding the subject and focus on the basketball part of this. Howard was Dallas' first choice. They didn't get him. .

There is only one moron in this thead who said the Mavs were "better" without Howard. And that person is you. Seriously, go back to 3rd Grade English. Then read this entire thread from the beginning.

"People laugh at the Mavs for missing out on Dwight, but they've quietly had a very good off season."

That was clearly YOU. Grow up. Dwight > junk players.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#13 » by pkiskool » Thu Aug 1, 2013 11:45 am

luxurytax wrote:
cs hauser wrote:
luxurytax wrote:

"People laugh at the Mavs for missing out on Dwight, but they've quietly had a very good off season."

But my team Raptors (full of junk players) beat the Lakers and Dwight last year...... irony eh :S
luxurytax
Banned User

Post#14 » by luxurytax » Thu Aug 1, 2013 11:56 am

pkiskool wrote:
luxurytax wrote:
cs hauser wrote:

But my team Raptors (full of junk players) beat the Lakers and Dwight last year...... irony eh :S

HuRr1c4n3
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#15 » by HuRr1c4n3 » Thu Aug 1, 2013 12:00 pm

luxurytax wrote:
cs hauser wrote:
luxurytax wrote:

Still don't see where he said the Mav's were better without Howard. All I get is that they got a bunch of free agents with hopefully tradeable contracts down the line because they were all had for "cheap". Hence the "very good offseason".
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#16 » by 15th overall » Thu Aug 1, 2013 1:06 pm

What a catty thread this turned out to be.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
luxurytax
Banned User

Post#17 » by luxurytax » Thu Aug 1, 2013 1:15 pm

HuRr1c4n3 wrote:
luxurytax wrote:
cs hauser wrote:

Still don't see where he said the Mav's were better without Howard. All I get is that they got a bunch of free agents with hopefully tradeable contracts down the line because they were all had for "cheap". Hence the "very good offseason".

So I guess the new definition of a successful offseason is signing a bunch of scrubs nobody wants and are desperate to sign anywhere. How do people not understand that quantity is not better than quality?

Why don't we just give the Mavs the championship title then? After all, they signed the most free agents! Give me a break...
ThereIsNoSpork
Banned User
And1: 1,482

Post#18 » by ThereIsNoSpork » Thu Aug 1, 2013 1:53 pm

luxurytax wrote:Your lack of basketball common sense is astounding. Ask Houston if they'd rather have Ellis, Blair, Perkins and Harris over Howard. Yeah, that's what I thought.

Ask Washington if they'd rather have John Wall or LeBron
star_bury
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#19 » by star_bury » Thu Aug 1, 2013 2:02 pm

If I had the time (or cared that much), I'd list the off-season moves by each team and rank them accordingly.

I'm not going to, but I'm quite sure the Mavs would be in the top 5.
JStockton
Ballboy

Post#20 » by JStockton » Thu Aug 1, 2013 2:15 pm

luxurytax wrote:
HuRr1c4n3 wrote:
luxurytax wrote:

So I guess the new definition of a successful offseason is signing a bunch of scrubs nobody wants and are desperate to sign anywhere. How do people not understand that quantity is not better than quality?

Why don't we just give the Mavs the championship title then? After all, they signed the most free agents! Give me a break...

There is only 1 Dwight Howard and the Mavs missed on signing him. They did what they had to, with the options left for them, hence the original poster's "good" offseason comment. If you learned 3rd grade English, you'd know that good is below "better" and way below "best". It is also not synonymous to excellent, awesome or super. The Mavs offseason was not descirbed as any of the above, but rather good. If they have signed these "bunch of scrubs nobody wants " as you defined them to larger contracts, then we could say they had a "bad" offseason. Which in case you do not know is the opposite of good.

And to counter your last argument...why don't we just give the championship to Houston then since they signed the best FA in the market? You seem to define a succesful offseason as being able to sign the single best FA in the market. I guess the 29 other teams should just start tanking then.

Return to Wiretap Discussion