Self Worried About Wiggins' Ability To Maintain Focus

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Self Worried About Wiggins' Ability To Maintain Focus 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:51 am

Bill Self continues to heap praise on Andrew Wiggins.

Self, however, has noticed Wiggins’ tendency to float through stretches of games.

"Andrew will be the best athlete I've ever been around," Self said. "He's a 6-8 guard. His stroke has gotten better. The biggest thing with me and him is making sure he's plugged into every possession. When he was in high school, he could really turn it on but he hasn't been able to do it for an entire game. That's what worries me a little bit."

Wiggins has been called the best high player since LeBron James.

"He weighs 200 pounds,” Self said of Wiggins. “He's not LeBron.”

Via Seth Davis/Sports Illustrated (via Chris Johnson/RushTheCourt)

Nanogeek
Banned User
And1: 130

Re: Self Worried About Wiggins' Ability To Maintain Focus 

Post#2 » by Nanogeek » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Wiggins isn't LeBron because LeBronn was 6'8" 240 when he came into the league and it probably closer to 6'8" 260-265 now Wiggins is 200bs - he's a 2 guard not a small forward.
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#3 » by MinneOOPalis » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Must be hard to keep your focus when nobody can even give you a challenge.
Vic_PhillyFan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Vic_PhillyFan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:06 am

Nanogeek wrote:Wiggins isn't LeBron because LeBronn was 6'8" 240 when he came into the league and it probably closer to 6'8" 260-265 now Wiggins is 200bs - he's a 2 guard not a small forward.

Wiggins isn't lebron because Andrew Wiggins is no where near the basketball player Lebron was at 18. Bill self was not referring to position or size. Being the best prospect since Lebron doesn't make you just as good as Lebron.
Vic_PhillyFan
@Dictorino
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." - Dr. J
http://www.tumblr.com/theflagrantfoulendeavor
Vic_PhillyFan
Ballboy

Post#5 » by Vic_PhillyFan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:07 am

Sakuragi_ wrote:Must be hard to keep your focus when nobody can even give you a challenge.

MJ, Kareem, Wilt, Kobe, and every other great player seemed to be fine with being focused and dominating.
Vic_PhillyFan
@Dictorino
EGarrett
Sixth Man
And1: 250

Post#6 » by EGarrett » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:27 am

Vic_PhillyFan wrote:
Sakuragi_ wrote:Must be hard to keep your focus when nobody can even give you a challenge.

MJ, Kareem, Wilt, Kobe, and every other great player seemed to be fine with being focused and dominating.

MJ initially wasn't good enough to make varsity, Kareem played against guys much older than him on NYC playgrounds who would block his shot all day, Wilt was consumed by putting up stats and not just winning, and Kobe is rumored to have tanked games in high school just so he could take over at the end.
Vic_PhillyFan
Ballboy

Post#7 » by Vic_PhillyFan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:56 am

And yet none of that information has anything to do with maintaining competitiveness. In fact most of those extremely random statements only further my point. MJ was COMPETITIVE enough to get better, Kareem was COMPETITIVE enough to keep playing hard against people who weren't his equal. I don't understand your Wilt point because no one was discussing winning, and Kobe throwing games is a rumor that only dummies even consider plausible and also doesn't pertain to my point. The user I responded to said "must be hard to stay focus when you're so much better then everyone." So, again, thanks for reinforcing my point.
Vic_PhillyFan
@Dictorino

Return to Wiretap Discussion