Sam Young Meets With Spurs

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Sam Young Meets With Spurs 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Sep 8, 2013 4:57 pm

Sam Young has met with the San Antonio Spurs.

The Spurs lack frontcourt depth following the departure of DeJuan Blair.

Young played with the Indiana Pacers last season.

Via Jeff Garcia/Project Spurs

watpho71
Junior
And1: 111

Re: Sam Young Meets With Spurs 

Post#2 » by watpho71 » Sun Sep 8, 2013 6:43 pm

I don't see how the departure of Blair created lack of depth in the front court for the Spurs. That is not even close to being true. The Spurs signed Jeff Pendergraph to a two year deal to complete a very solid and competent front court of Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, Bonner, Baynes and the for mentioned Pendergraph.
Sam Young being a small forward is the one position the Spurs need an additional back up. Leonard, Green, Ginobili and Belinelli will share time at the 2 and 3 with Sam Young potentially being a compatible fifth person to that list.
BlackFalconGSW
Banned User
And1: 346

Post#3 » by BlackFalconGSW » Sun Sep 8, 2013 6:49 pm

watpho71 wrote:I don't see how the departure of Blair created lack of depth in the front court for the Spurs. That is not even close to being true. The Spurs signed Jeff Pendergraph to a two year deal to complete a very solid and competent front court of Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, Bonner, Baynes and the for mentioned Pendergraph.
Sam Young being a small forward is the one position the Spurs need an additional back up. Leonard, Green, Ginobili and Belinelli will share time at the 2 and 3 with Sam Young potentially being a compatible fifth person to that list.

I agree. They need a depth at backup SF more... and I think he fits well in that aspect, cuz he got the size.

No more Gary 'i can't guard anybody' Neal at SF...lol
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#4 » by RoyalMajesty » Mon Sep 9, 2013 6:16 am

Listed at 6-6 and 225lbs and being a tough, gritty 28-year-old small forward, he would be a perfect fit for the Spurs and a nice backup for Kawhi Leonard considering that they don't have any other small forwards on the roster besides Kawhi.
burritoKURUMA
Senior
And1: 498

Post#5 » by burritoKURUMA » Mon Sep 9, 2013 12:24 pm

Woohoo! Two Pitt alum in the same article! Step aside Kentucky!

Seriously, though, I really wish Sam Young's NBA transition went better. I loved watching him when he was on the Pitt team that went into the tourney as a No. 1 seed. His pump fake was absolutely ridiculous; everybody bought it and went flying.

I didn't really see him play much in the NBA until the last playoffs though, and oh my god was he horrible. At first I was really excited that I was seeing Sam Young play again, then I wanted him off the court as soon as possible.

Of course, if there is anyone who can get the best out of him, it's Gregg Popovich.

Return to Wiretap Discussion