Greg Stiemsma Hoping To 'Start A Lot Of Games' For Pelicans

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Greg Stiemsma Hoping To 'Start A Lot Of Games' For Pelicans 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Greg Stiemsma has not received word about Monty Williams' plan with the rotation of the New Orleans Pelicans, but the center wants to emerge as the starting center alongside Anthony Davis.

"I’m going to look at this as a great opportunity to start a lot of games,’’ Stiemsma said on Tuesday. ``That’s the mindset I have going into the camp that somebody is going have to take that away from me. Obviously, I’m not a go-to scorer, but I can definitely hold my own on every offense I’ve played in. My defensive presence is going to be what this team is going to need.’’

Several players on the Pelicans, including Stiemsma, have gathered for workouts ahead of training camp.

Stiemsma has started 22 of 131 NBA games.

Stiemsma signed a one-year, $2.7 million deal with the Pelicans.

Via John Reid/The Times Picayune

caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Re: Greg Stiemsma Hoping To 'Start A Lot Of Games' For Pelic 

Post#2 » by caronimo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:33 pm

in a big lineup he could be starting with davis playing the 4. If pelicans are going small, then ryan anderson will play the 4 with davis at the 5. most likely anderson is going to get more minutes than stiesma with his 3 point shot.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#3 » by Jukeness » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:29 pm

If that's the case, and he does start, the Pelicans are screwed, he is a terrible overall player. I laugh when he says his defensive presence is what they need. He is also an awful defender.

Had the courtesy of watching him on my team last year.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#4 » by 12footrim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:57 pm

Jukeness wrote:If that's the case, and he does start, the Pelicans are screwed, he is a terrible overall player. I laugh when he says his defensive presence is what they need. He is also an awful defender.

3.2 blocks per 36 minutes
1.5 steals per 36 minutes

For his career his that's what he's averaging. That's probably one of the best combinations of defensive stats in the league per every 36 minutes, I think his defense deserves more credit.

There are certainly going to be games he is needed. Davis can't guard Marc Gasol, Howard, Pekovic, Bynum, Hibbert etc.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
bujfan2030
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by bujfan2030 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:10 pm

I could see stiemsma ending up 3rd on the depth chart, if Withey shows anyything at all.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#6 » by Jukeness » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:34 pm

12footrim wrote:
Jukeness wrote:If that's the case, and he does start, the Pelicans are screwed, he is a terrible overall player. I laugh when he says his defensive presence is what they need. He is also an awful defender.

3.2 blocks per 36 minutes
1.5 steals per 36 minutes

For his career his that's what he's averaging. That's probably one of the best combinations of defensive stats in the league per every 36 minutes, I think his defense deserves more credit.

There are certainly going to be games he is needed. Davis can't guard Marc Gasol, Howard, Pekovic, Bynum, Hibbert etc.

Per 36 minutes is not a credible stat if the guy only plays 15 min per game. And that's for his career, how about last year when he actually played more minutes and had a bigger role, 2.7 blocks, and 1.3 steals last year, also 5.5 PF per 36, that's terrible
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#7 » by 12footrim » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:29 am

Jukeness wrote:Per 36 minutes is not a credible stat if the guy only plays 15 min per game. And that's for his career, how about last year when he actually played more minutes and had a bigger role, 2.7 blocks, and 1.3 steals last year, also 5.5 PF per 36, that's terrible

I'd put more stock in the larger sample size of his complete 131 game career. Especially when he blocked at 4.6 per 36 block rate he had in the D league, and was the DLeague defensive player of the year. I just think you have to give him at least a little credit on D with the level which he blocks shots.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#8 » by Jukeness » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:42 am

12footrim wrote:
Jukeness wrote:Per 36 minutes is not a credible stat if the guy only plays 15 min per game. And that's for his career, how about last year when he actually played more minutes and had a bigger role, 2.7 blocks, and 1.3 steals last year, also 5.5 PF per 36, that's terrible

I'd put more stock in the larger sample size of his complete 131 game career. Especially when he blocked at 4.6 per 36 block rate he had in the D league, and was the DLeague defensive player of the year. I just think you have to give him at least a little credit on D with the level which he blocks shots.

I'll give some credit for his blocked shots, he is a decent shot blocker, but that doesn't mean he is a good defender, same with Deandre Jordan.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#9 » by RoyalMajesty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:23 am

If the Pelicans need a true starting center, Ryan Anderson or Eric Gordon would be the best trade bait to bring in Marcin Gortat or Omer Asik now that they are stacked at SG with Tyreke Evans, Austin Rivers, and Anthony Morrow.

I think the Pelicans would rather keep Ryan Anderson and work out a trade that would send maybe Eric Gordon and Jason Smith to the Suns for Marcin Gortat, Gerald Green, and Kendall Marshall???

PG: Jrue Holiday, Kendall Marshall, Brian Roberts
SG: Tyreke Evans, Austin Rivers, Anthony Morrow
PF: Anthony Davis, Ryan Anderson, ????????
SF: Gerald Green, Al-Farouq Aminu, Darius Miller
C: Marcin Gortat, Greg Stiemsma, Jeff Withey

PG: Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe, Ish Smith
SG: Eric Gordon, Archie Goodwin, Shannon Brown
PF: Markieff Morris, Channing Frye, Viacheslav Kravtsov
SF: Marcus Morris, P.J. Tucker, ????????
C: Alex Len, Jason Smith, Miles Plumlee

Return to Wiretap Discussion